Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: caliper roullette
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DanT
for those of you not following the other thread on this. I decided after much consternation and information gathering. To do it. What was it?
I put my 914-4 front calipers on the rear of my track car.
I have vented SC rotors on the front now with M calipers loaded with Porterfield R-4E track pads.
On the rears I plan on running basic street PBR pads.
I am going to try this at a one day event I am instructing at. If it still has too much rear bias then I am going to install an adjustable bias valve.

Pic of offending piece of equipment.
DanT
and from the back side
J P Stein
We're gonna find out, me thinks laugh.gif
Personally, I think a adjustable bias valve would be a good plan in any case.....it's more like roullette without bullets. huh.gif
Mueller
did that setup once and didn't have any problems (on the street) for the few hundred miles I put on the car....used a "T" in place of the prop valve
Eric_Shea
Personally, I think a adjustable bias valve would be a good plan in any case.....it's more like roullette without bullets.

We tried to tell him that in the other thread but "Mr. Smartypants" had to go his own way! biggrin.gif

I think they'll be OK with the pads but it's hit or miss until or if you get the right combo. I 'really' like the Rear M-Caliper with the spacer removed idea... idea.gif
DanT
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 28 2006, 05:27 PM)
Personally, I think a adjustable bias valve would be a good plan in any case.....it's more like roullette without bullets.

We tried to tell him that in the other thread but "Mr. Smartypants" had to go his own way! biggrin.gif

I think they'll be OK with the pads but it's hit or miss until or if you get the right combo. I 'really' like the Rear M-Caliper with the spacer removed idea... idea.gif

I know I should have listened to you. wink.gif

I am now looking for a set of rear Ms. May have a line on some.

I just have to try things for myself. Even if .....?

this thread to be updated after my first outing to BW. stay tuned smile.gif
Eric_Shea
this thread to be updated after my first outing to BW. stay tuned

"If" he's still alive folks! w00t.gif

Just fun'n wit ya...

Based on what you wanted I think those M's would be cool. For those who weren't playing along at home:

The idea is to take a pair of rear 911 M-Calipers and remove the spacers. This is for guys and gals who are racing with 911 brakes up front that want a nice matching caliper (read; 38mm) in the rear. No handbrake of course. Without the spacer these would run on 914-4 or 914-6 rear rotors. Should 'bolt on'.

Advantages: Side mount brake line. Same piston setup used in a 911 and 914-6. No fancy rotor needs. More consistent pad setup.
DanT
thanks for the vote of confidence Eric! ohmy.gif laugh.gif wink.gif wink.gif dry.gif

The Ms on the rear may be just what I am looking for...I have my people looking....anyone here have a pair? rolleyes.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Mar 28 2006, 05:48 PM)
this thread to be updated after my first outing to BW. stay tuned

"If" he's still alive folks! w00t.gif

Advantages: Side mount brake line. Same piston setup used in a 911 and 914-6. No fancy rotor needs. More consistent pad setup.

Don't forget: Disadvantages: No parking brake. Car is no longer street legal in any state. Your insurance company could quite possibly deny you coverage, even after they have taken your money, if your car is in any kind of incident leading to questions about the brakes. The Cap'n
DanT
Wow, and how many 914s have functional handbrakes? Equipment may be there but how well do they work. Can't remember the last time I saw one on a hot/street rod either. ohmy.gif dry.gif sad.gif
Eric_Shea
Yeah, yeah, yeah Cap'n Grouch-o-Matic. That's why I said:

This is for guys and gals who are racing

Go back ta sitt'n on tacks and eating glass laugh.gif

Krustmeister's right folks... race cars only please. Marty... hurry up with that damn spot brake! biggrin.gif
grantsfo
I went with SC vented rotors in the front and back. Using SC calipers in back and 320i calipers with big pads in the front. Just hope I never have to park on a hill and my insurance company can bite me. wink.gif
DanT
why did you use the bimmer calipers? huh.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Mar 28 2006, 07:03 PM)
why did you use the bimmer calipers? huh.gif

Sort of like Everest. They were there. New calipers, dirt cheap, and they came with the 911 suspension I bought. Guess I have redefined caliper roulette! biggrin.gif
DanT
makes perfect sense to me....kinda like why I decided to try the fronts on the rear....they were there and didn't have those hoakie adjusters on them. sad.gif
race914
And I'm gonna be on the track at Buttonwillow with TWO guys playing caliper roulette huh.gif

DanT
You don't have to worry about me Greg. I don't gamble biggrin.gif Really.

I plan on being very cautious and build up to see what I have.

You will be in front of me any way.. . remember when your car was a stock 2.0L. I have a momentum car anyway...don't need brakes wink.gif Much ohmy.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Mar 28 2006, 09:35 PM)
You don't have to worry about me Greg. I don't gamble biggrin.gif Really.

I plan on being very cautious and build up to see what I have.

You will be in front of me any way.. . remember when your car was a stock 2.0L. I have a momentum car anyway...don't need brakes wink.gif Much ohmy.gif

And for me I'm an inexpereinced crazy guy with a new six. Dont worry, just be happy. wink.gif
DanT
Well I wonder if any of our illustrious members will be my students for BW?

Would be interesting to say the least. wink.gif

Hank usually tries to set newbies up with instructors that are very well versed in the car they are instructing in. I get lots of Boxsters and 914s ( when 914s are in attendance)
dion9146
Dan,

On my last 914 I had M calipers with Hawk Black pads in the front, a 'T' in the line, and the stock 914 front calipers moved to the rear with some generic carbon metallic pads. The bias felt great on the street and track, but I never got a chance to run it aggressively in the rain. That's where bias issues can really show their ugly heads.

It appears the car I have now has vented rotors in the rear with M calipers all around, and I have no idea what the pads are either. I haven't driven it yet, but it could be an experience. sad.gif

Dion
race914
QUOTE (race914 @ Mar 28 2006, 08:12 PM)
And I'm gonna be on the track at Buttonwillow with TWO guys playing caliper roulette huh.gif

Just kidding with you guys wink.gif

I currently have a 19mm master and M calipers up front and went through some of the same things after I initially made the changes.

Can't wait to run with you both at Buttonwillow. beerchug.gif
DanT
update....

got the brakes bled and pads bedded in. everything seems to be in order.
Tested from 50 mph stop. no rear lockup biggrin.gif

At least I know it will work around town...now for the track in a couple of weeks.

I love it when things work out huh.gif

I knew you were just kiddin' Greg....What rear brakes did you go with? Stockers?
Eric_Shea
Cool... keep us posted.

What pads did you use front/rear?
DanT
Porterfield R4E for the front and PBR stockers for the rear.
race914
QUOTE (Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Mar 29 2006, 05:46 PM)

I knew you were just kiddin' Greg....What rear brakes did you go with? Stockers?

I still have the stock rear calipers. (and the emergency brakes work too!)

I had a couple different plans for upgrades but as I keep taking weight off the car.... The brakes work better & better smile.gif so I'm thinking I don't want to add any more unsprung weight through bigger rotors & calipers if I don't have to

I actually have a set of early 90s Big Blacks & Carrera front struts ready to bolt up when & if the time comes
Eddie Williams
Shoot me if this is a hijack, but all this talk has me curious about my planned setup. S alloys up fron stock -4 in the rear, 19 mm MC, and a T. Yes/No/Maybe?
Eric_Shea
With the T you should be fine... it would be nice to have a slightly larger piston back there but, those come in 2 varieties:

914-6 - Expensive
911 - No handbrake, unless...
john rogers
I use the M calipers in front and BMW in the rear with Porterfield racing pads in front and the Axxis semi metalic pads in back and I too found that braking from 50 or 60 MPH was fine but from 135 it was a whole different story. The front pads need to get hot before they work well and the rear end danced a lot. I put in a manual prop valve and have the rear cut out by about 30% or so. This only happened at the CA Speedway as they use running starts and the pace lap is not enough time to get the front pads up to temp, even ridding the brakes some. I also found that when the front pads got really nice and hot that the front would drop really fast so I had to set the Koni front shocks really stiff. All other tracks I run them full soft.
DanT
I think I remember this....deja vu all over again ohmy.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info John... That is what my test day at BW will be all about. How much do I need to heat up the fronts before the work really well and then do I have too much rear bias....

Eric_Shea
(and a spooky voice from the dark said... M-calipers in the rear with a p-valve and the same pads all around) laugh.gif
DanT
I hear you wink.gif
Eric_Shea
God... am I a pain in the ass or WHAT!?! lol3.gif
DanT
I hear you biggrin.gif

Keep it up Eric. Great information always. smile.gif
drew365
Just to throw my setup in the mix: A calipers in front, M calipers in rear with vented SC rotors. I have adjustable bias valve and run Pagid pads. I never have brake issues so I can't complain. No emergency brake, but I don't plan on letting my insurance company know. If they ever saw a picture of my car it wouldn't much matter about the e brake!
DanT
4 bolt set up with 3" spacing is what I run....so I am limited to my choices. rolleyes.gif
race914
Dan,

Here are the big blacks I had setup for my 914. Another option for 3" spacing.

Again I haven't done this yet since the weight loss program has taken away some of the need for bigger brakes. Remember Newland's car? He ran the Alloy S calipers and never had to go bigger...
Eric_Shea
He ran the Alloy S calipers and never had to go bigger...

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.