Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 steering column surrounds. . . .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47fan
I've been working with TH, in Oregon, to reverse engineer the 914/6 steering column surrounds. He's produced a second version that is ready to be test fitted to the dash facia on a 914-6.

This is a request for a volunteer to take these parts, fit them up on the factory facia, take pictures, and make general comments about the form, fit, and function, as currently made.

From this exercise, the final configuration will be made and made available (for sale) to those interested. No pricing is available now. We're trying to finalize the design and manufacturing technique first.

If you can provide the beta site service, PM me with your details.

Everyone else, please feel free to enter into the club's typical spirited discussion about these parts.

Thanks,
Mueller
how are you dealing with the ignition portion? weld in plate or ??

I like the idea, I'd love to install the key in the "correct" location smile.gif

type47fan
At this time, we're only talking about the trim piece that "surrounds" the base of the steering wheel column on the -6. . . .they slide onto the metal backing of the basketweave material.

The modification/transplanting of the -6 steering column and ignition switch is in development. . . . idea.gif type.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif headbang.gif idea.gif type.gif sawzall-smiley.gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif

i'll take one, once the rest is available too ...
cover, lock, etc. etc. ...

cool.gif Andy
914-8
QUOTE (type47fan @ Mar 28 2006, 07:50 PM)
At this time, we're only talking about the trim piece that "surrounds" the base of the steering wheel column on the -6. . . .they slide onto the metal backing of the basketweave material.

The modification/transplanting of the -6 steering column and ignition switch is in development. . . . idea.gif type.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif headbang.gif idea.gif type.gif sawzall-smiley.gif beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif

a kit to move mimic the -6 steering column and move the ignition to the -6 position would be muy cool!

although seems very complicated!
914Sixer
All you need to build a clone 6 column is to take the mounting pad off your current steering column and weld it to a 69-73 911 steering column with the brackets removed. You can also do the same thing with a 74-89 911. I can provide pictures if you want them of the real 6 column and both conversions. I cannot post them because my camera now only takes 1200x1600 pictures. It lost its mind and will not adjust.

Contact me at a914nut@email.com.

I would like to try a set of the Clips for my column. I have a NOS 6 dash, NOS dash trim pieces, covers and 6 column that I have off car that I can test fit to.

Thanks, Mark.
Twystd1
914Sixer..

You are amazing....

Thanks for the hard work!!!

And sharing it with all of us....

Clayton
michelko
Would like to offer my service, but i have no original six.
Did an conversion with 911 parts.

Curious if the parts will fit my conversion.

IronHillRestorations
If you are talking about the horseshoe shaped pieces, someone here is already making perfect reproductions.
RON S.
If someone is already making them,I sure wish they woulda spoke up year's ago.

I've been needing those 2 pieces since the day I got my 6r almost 10 years ago.

I've post WTB adds on classifeds both here and the bird board.I've sent blind e-mails to most all the well-known Porsche dismantlers.

after 8 years,I finally got'em.

I ended up finding 2 different guys who each only had 1 piece,and couldn't make a set together.

I will say,that that is a piece in need of repo'ng.Finding a used set is all but impossible.

Ron
echocanyons
I need a pair too.
Goge
Here is a pic of the old one and the repro that I produced. The old one is the upper one, it's a little warped.

The repro was produced on a rapid prototyping machine, ABS plastic. Then sanded and painted.

Thanks to Wayne for starting this project off and providing me a sample!

Cheers,
-Todd
echocanyons
So Todd did you make a run of these?

Can I get a pair?
Goge
Kelly-
I can kick out a new set whenever, they will just be made to order.

I think right now we're looking to find someone to fit them up to make sure the fit is OK, we haven't even discussed pricing yet. They won't be super cheap... but that's the way one-off parts go usually.

I'll leave it up to Wayne to pick someone to test them for us.

-Todd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.