Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sway bar swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
so if I already have stock sway bars -- do you really and truely have to remove the gas tank to swap them out?

Aaron Cox
you have front and rear sway bars??

you are goingto a BIGGER front bar i assume?

if the brackets are already in, then i see no reason to pull the tank to swap the front bar. just pull it out from one side and put the new one in....

but it aint rocket science to pull your tank wink.gif

and NO, you dont need to pull the gas tank to swap your rear swaybar laugh.gif
sk8kat1
I do have rears already .. and yes going to a 19mm front ..

and I do already have the triangle lookin things and the u tabs on the a arms... sounds easy!

oo and it didn't look like rocket science to pull the tank just I have the front and rear of the car torn apart and on jackstands.. of course rolleyes.gif and really didn't want to deal with the possibility of tring to drain a full tank of gas or even try and figure out what to do with it ...

thanks !!
Joe Ricard
The only tough part is getting it through the hole at the far end.
rhodyguy
it seems like i always add to your "do list". if you have never taken your tank out or changed the fuel lines to the tank now would be the time to do it. there's prob going to be a bit of rust under it too. sorry.

k
jd74914
So . . . I call dibs on the stock from when it comes out biggrin.gif
sk8kat1
I thought that too... I think I might do the whole attach a string the end of teh old one so that when the old one is pulled out the string is left behind to attach to the new and hel pguide it to the other side ...

that thar is texan tech biggrin.gif ----string and duct tape
sk8kat1
dibs noted biggrin.gif
sk8kat1
confused24.gif but if I have a ful tank of gas what should I do considering my car is dry docked
rhodyguy
leave the tank in and try to do the bar swap? worst case... you won't be able to fish the bar in and will have to drain the tank.

k
maf914
QUOTE (sk8kat1 @ Mar 29 2006, 12:52 PM)
confused24.gif but if I have a ful tank of gas what should I do considering my car is dry docked

When I drained my tank I simply transferred the gas to my old pick-up truck, about 8 gallons. No problem. biggrin.gif

Do it in a well ventilated space and keep a fire extinguisher handy. Have some shop cloths to clean up spills. And a helper on standby doesn't hurt either.
sk8kat1
so what is the best place to pull a hose to drain the tank? .. m

man K you do keep adding to my todo list every time you post!!!! biggrin.gif
jd74914
I'd siphon it out. and into a bucket or directly into another car
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.