Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
I removed the throttle body and found oil in the plenum, I know this shouldn't be.

I have the hose for the PCV plugged in to the plenum, is that correct?

Other possibilities??
Dave Bell
Oil vapor gets sucked up the breather, through the hose connection to your air intake and all down into all intake system.

- Dave
sjhowitson
Do you have an oil bath air cleaner?
lapuwali
Do you mean a substantial puddle of oil in the plenum, or just a misty coating? I doubt there are many 914s out there that DON'T have a coating of oil mist in the plenum, primarily from the breather.
toon1
It was more like heavy film. It seems like more than it should be.

I removed the PCV valve and it looked clean.

It is not the oil bath type air cleaner.
SirAndy
QUOTE (toon1 @ Mar 30 2006, 01:20 PM)

unless you've got 1/4" of standing oil in there, it's perfcetly fine. the oil comes from the PCV valve on the filler and from the head vents. it's supposed to be sucked through there and burnt ...

wink.gif Andy
toon1
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 30 2006, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (toon1 @ Mar 30 2006, 01:20 PM)

unless you've got 1/4" of standing oil in there, it's perfcetly fine. the oil comes from the PCV valve on the filler and from the head vents. it's supposed to be sucked through there and burnt ...

wink.gif Andy

OK that makes me feel better. Now, a new problem. I took off the TB to set the TPS reinstalled everything fired the car up and it was sitting at 3k and would nor come down. BAck under the engine grill I go......
lapuwali
Air leak. Either you forgot a hose, or the TB gasket needs to be replaced.
toon1
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Mar 30 2006, 04:21 PM)
Air leak. Either you forgot a hose, or the TB gasket needs to be replaced.

can it be tuned inside out and reused?

what else can be done??
lapuwali
You could scrape all the old gasket off the TB and the plenum and use goop. More likely you forgot a hose. Does the throttle close all the way?
toon1
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Mar 30 2006, 04:55 PM)
You could scrape all the old gasket off the TB and the plenum and use goop. More likely you forgot a hose. Does the throttle close all the way?

that was the first thing I checked it was closed. all the vac lines are good and connected. I will try again.

hijacked.gif my own thread

what is a good torque on the intake bolts?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.