Eric_Shea
Let the welding begin...
Eric_Shea
I decided to grind it smooth...

Nighty-night!
seanery
stuff looks nice Eric!
Eric_Shea
The infamous "Timo" mods performed last weekend...

40mm flat steel welded to the backing plates.
Eric_Shea
Closer view...
Eric_Shea
Assembly put back together. smash.gif
914Timo
The infamous "Timo" mods performed last weekend...

Hey, dont blame me. I am just helping you.....

The parts looks good. Let us know how they works when you have assembled and tested them.
Eric_Shea
And a big help you were... that would have gone un-noticed.

Thanks again... the mod was simple.
Eric_Shea
This will probably be the last post on this subject (I can hear the collective sigh of relief). Big thanks to Timo, Brad and others for helping out. I'll try to keep everyone posted on the center mounted handbrake and cables but I'm assuming that will come a bit later as I dig into the body (next).

Bolted everything up this AM for a trial fit and all looks good.
thesey914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 26 2003, 07:14 AM)
This will probably be the last post on this subject (I can hear the collective sigh of relief).

laugh.gif This is the best thread I have followed in ages....The greater technical content the better.

I reckon this qualifies as classic thread status
McMark
Very well done and quite inspiring. Yes, a classic thread.
jim_hoyland
Curious: anybody else do the eBrake conversion and whether there’s an alternative
waltonsm
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 5 2022, 12:01 PM) *

Curious: anybody else do the eBrake conversion and whether there’s an alternative

On my build I used boxster hubs, brakes and e brake hardware. Pics of the trailing arm fab are here in post 50:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...6435&st=40#
porschetub
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 6 2022, 07:01 AM) *

Jim I seem to remember a member on here welded on brackets and ran Wilwood handbrake calipers,these are fairly small units and it looked like a tidy solution.
I liked this as another option and possibly easier than the 911 setup which I have.
I found out to my displeasure and expense the PO had fitted this system without the weld on shoe retainers ,went for a drive to test h/brake and demolished the backplate and both shoe retainers and springs on one side chair.gif chair.gif ,used parts for these are hardly cheap but atleast I was able to repair the backing plate but was still fairly pissed off.
Retroracer

Jim - yes, FWIW. Done with a Carrera vented rear set up. I used the Tangerine Racing kit for modifying the arms + handbrake cable routing - worked out nicely and retains the stock cables.

- Tony
mepstein
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Aug 5 2022, 06:43 PM) *

Jim - yes, FWIW. Done with a Carrera vented rear set up. I used the Tangerine Racing kit for modifying the arms + handbrake cable routing - worked out nicely and retains the stock cables.

- Tony

The tangerine kit is the way to go. Weld on a couple little bits and use your stock cables. It’s already developed so you don’t have to experiment.
That being said, if you have a narrow body four, I would stick with stock rears.
914GTSTI
Is their a list of parts when going with the Tangerine Racing system ? Rotors, calipers ?
mepstein
QUOTE(914GTSTI @ Aug 5 2022, 08:07 PM) *

Is their a list of parts when going with the Tangerine Racing system ? Rotors, calipers ?

You need 911 e-brake parts and whatever rotors fit your calipers of choice.
SirAndy
Holy mother of thread necromancy!
blink.gif

Almost 20 years ...
unsure.gif
The Double S
Is the square bolt pattern on the backing plates the same for all pre-1989 non-turbo 911s?
mepstein
I believe so.
73-914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 5 2022, 11:27 PM) *

Holy mother of thread necromancy!
blink.gif

Almost 20 years ...
unsure.gif

Glad you said it, I was thinking the same thing agree.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 5 2022, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 6 2022, 07:01 AM) *

Jim I seem to remember a member on here welded on brackets and ran Wilwood handbrake calipers,these are fairly small units and it looked like a tidy solution.
I liked this as another option and possibly easier than the 911 setup which I have.
I found out to my displeasure and expense the PO had fitted this system without the weld on shoe retainers ,went for a drive to test h/brake and demolished the backplate and both shoe retainers and springs on one side chair.gif chair.gif ,used parts for these are hardly cheap but atleast I was able to repair the backing plate but was still fairly pissed off.

The late Wes Hildreth did this for a 914 owner named Mike Floyd ( @old914dog ). It did not work out well. Setting the park brake with the rotors hot resulted in the pads sticking to the rotors, and it took a hammer and some pounding to get the park brake to release.

The 911 style park brake is the way to go.
jim_hoyland
Any info on the Wilwood electric parking brake kit ?
https://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperLis...Parking%20Brake
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.