Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Oil Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
D1A3
Hi Guys,

I've got an oil leak at my pressure sensor. Pulled the sensor and it visually looks OK. Seems to be letting oil past the threads. What's the best way to seal this up? Should I just buy a new pressure sensor, find some sort of seal at my FLAPS, use some *goop* ???

I need to get this fixed tonight, so please let me know any recomendations.

Thanks,
Jason
lapuwali
There should be a fiber washer providing a seal. If that's not there, a bit of goop (just a BIT) will help. Some teflon tape on the threads might work, though that may also prevent the sensor from grounding properly (so the light will always be out).
D1A3
Fiber washer? If I buy a new one will it come with it? Thinking about a new one anyway with two poles so i can hook up a pressure gauge too.

If I use *goop*, what is the correct type?

Thanks,
Jason
Cap'n Krusty
The pressure sender, as it's known, has 1/8" NPT threads, and has NO washer. Tightened properly, the threads shouldn't leak. A little plumber's pipe sealant works well, if you want to use something. NEVER use teflon tape! You want a genuine VW or European style sender. 021 919 081B is the part number, and the list price is under 6 bucks. If you get one with a washer and straight threads, it's the wrong part. It will damage the hole, and isn't calibrated correctly. Any VW shop should carry them. Takes a 24mm socket to install it. If you want to use a dual sender, one for both a light and a gauge, it gets a lot more complicated and more expensive. As it won't fit down into the hole in the tin, you need a means of making it remote, generally a grease gun hose, and a place to mount it, as well as a means of grounding the new unit. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.