Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crank end play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swood
Put in the rear seal, 3 shims and all to check the end play, and the flywheel does not seem to budge. It's real tight. If .003-.005" is the tolerance, does it stand to reason that a shim should be removed to get that tolerance? Seems strange that it's that tight. I'll double check it again anyways.

What is the purpose of the felt anyways?
cgnj
Hi,

This is measured without the rear seal in.
The only felt piece I can think of is the felt ring that goes between the pilot bearing and large flywheel washer.

Carlos
ejm
The felt piece keeps dirt out of the needle bearing and the grease in. You can measure the end play with it and the crank seal removed. Depending on how assembled your engine is it might be easier to mount a dial indicator and measure the end play at the fan end of the crankshaft.
KenH
The dimensions of the case, bearings & crank are slightly different from part to part.

If the crank has too much end play it will beat the case and bearings. If it has too little it will wear the main bearing or the case.

You have to check it with a dial gauge. There is no way you can "feel" 3-4ths.

First verifiy the crank turns freely WITHOUT the shims. Then install the crank and shims and TORQUE to spec. If tight - you will need to use larger shims - if it turns OK then you need to measure the end play. If to much, or too little, record the measurment. Remove the flywheel and measure the shim pack. Calculate the new shims need to give the correct end play. Bolt it up and remeasure.

You must use 3 or more shims.

Various size Shims are avilable from the dealers.

Ken
JeffBowlsby
You must use 3 or more shims.

I recall that it is 3 and only three shims.
Rouser
If you have the fan pulley attached on the other end and you omitted the required spacer (so you can turn the crank), make absolutely sure none of the three fan bolts are protruding from the back of the crank mount.

These WILL jam up against the front oil seal, tearing it up and frustrating the measurement you're trying to achieve.

Um ... it's not like this ... um ... happened to me or anything ...
swood
Thanks for the replys guys. This motor is being assembled from a complete tear down. The same crank is being used after being polished and balanced, same for the flywheel. Same case as well. I guess I'm trying to figure out why the end play would change from what it was pre-teardown. Same fly shims too. I'll go back and check the play from both ends.

With the new bearings, all rotates as smooth as silk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.