Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 hubs on 914 struts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Mifsud
aren't the 914 struts identical to the pre-SC struts minus the 5 lug hubs? Are wheel bearing identical? Can I just switch the hubs (front only).
Dr Evil
No, sorry.
sixnotfour
There is a guy on pelican parts trying to sell some 911 hubs with sleeves to use 914 wheel bearings confused24.gif
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=255623
Dr Evil
WTF.gif Wow, I have never seen that before. Is it realy more economical than just swapping the whole front end ? You would still need breaks and such. Still neat, though.
ClayPerrine
I actually looked into this about a year ago. Most bearing places can match ID, OD and bearing type (In this case a tapered roller) if you have them. But it seems that no one makes a bearing with the 911 OD and the 914 ID for the inner bearing. The outer was easy, they have that one in stock. So is the wheel seal.

If I could find a bearing for the inner, I would post the info. Then all you have to have is the 911 hubs to change to 5 lug.

Maybe I will try again.
Mueller
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 31 2006, 11:11 PM)
WTF.gif Wow, I have never seen that before. Is it realy more economical than just swapping the whole front end ? You would still need breaks and such. Still neat, though.

it's a fairly common mod for the VW bug crowd...I see nothing wrong with it if done correctly....if you are paying someone for the parts, then yes, I could see the cost being the same or more...

one benifit is that you don't have to replace as many parts...many people feel more comfortable just replacing calipers and a wheel hub than having to remove a complete strut or a-arm assembly (and then have to get a wheel alignment)
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 1 2006, 08:51 AM)

it's a fairly common mod for the VW bug crowd...I see nothing wrong with it if done correctly....if you are paying someone for the parts, then yes, I could see the cost being the same or more...

one benifit is that you don't have to replace as many parts...many people feel more comfortable just replacing calipers and a wheel hub than having to remove a complete strut or a-arm assembly (and then have to get a wheel alignment)

Hey Mike,

Not just an issue of complexity.. but as I see it, there's really no point in swapping to a pre-SC 911 front end as the caliper mount is still 3.0" rather than 3.5" so there isn't really anything gained in terms of brake torque/ power..

the SC front ends I run across are priced fairly high compared to pre-SC front ends, so breaking it down to it's minimum parts is attractive. If it's just a matter of sleeving a bearing that's a good solution for me since I can make my own parts...

Anyone have the measurements? I'd like to make the parts ahead of time before having to pull out the jack stands...
Eric_Shea
Not just an issue of complexity.. but as I see it, there's really no point in swapping to a pre-SC 911 front end as the caliper mount is still 3.0" rather than 3.5" so there isn't really anything gained in terms of brake torque/ power..

Vooooo Jaaaaaaa Daaaaaaaaay laugh.gif

There's a huge point in swapping the early 911 front end if you want a 5-lug setup. For narrow bodied 914's I think the pre SC front is by far the best way to go. For most people it's the lure to 5-lug and larger brakes. James started an excellent thread on brakes. Read through that. Here's what I see in the early 911 "Boge" front ends (keep in mind the 3.5" spacing first showed up on a Koni strut in 1967). You get:

5-lug wheels (looks nice in my book)
A WIDE variety of "914" inserts
Beefier spindles
Vented rotors
Rotors are easily exchanged w/o messing with bearings.
M-Calipers (which are an excellent match for 914 rears with a T-Fitting)
18.8mm torsion bars

Read this thread in it's entirety. Saves me having to type again biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
agree.gif what she said ^^^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.