Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Toby's 3.6 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bwilless
I've tried contacting Brad about this car, but he must be out of town or just busy. So I thought I'd ask the population. I'm interested in buying Toby's 914-6. I searched the board and Brad made a comment . . .

"It needs about 10k worth of work to make it cherry (paint+body work/wiring/cooling)"

Does anyone know the basis for this statement? Are there wiring issues, or could it be done better/nicer.

What about the cooling issue? Does it run hot, or could the cooling system be done better?

What about the body work/paint. Is it chipped up, or is there damage that needs to be fixed?

Any information would be appreciated. I'm not necessarily looking for a cherry car, but I don't want to have to put allot of money into it to start enjoying it right away.

Thanks,
Brian
Tempe, AZ
Dave_Darling
AFAIK, the cooling system is in good shape. It was crap for a while, but Tobias had the cooler replaced and some real ducting and such made. I forget if it has a fan on the cooler--if not, it will need one for traffic situations most likely.

Body: Again, AFAIK, it's solid. But it's UGLY! Nasty 70's paint scheme--white with the black/grey/silver stripes. I don't think the paint is in very good shape, but what I remember is just that it's older paint that needs some care. (Or a total repaint if you don't want that nasty paint scheme!) The front deck lid may still have the louvers cut into it, which aren't needed. I don't remember the 916 bumpers being fitted all that well.

It only had a roll bar last I saw; a cage would probably be more appropriate.

Does it all add up to $10K? Not sure... But it's a heck of a deal either way!!

--DD
Demick
Has fiberglass flares, and the paint is cracking in a number of places where the flares are joined to the body. If I remember correctly, one of the fiberglass flares has some damage as well.

It really depends on what you want out of the car. If you want a cherry looking car, then it needs some $$ and work. If you are looking for a brutally fast autocross and track weapon (always a top time of day contender in autox, not sure about track), then you've found your car.

Demick
bwilless
Good input so far, thanks. How about the wiring issues Brad mentioned. Know anything about that?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.