Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to the scene, need some help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timberwolf177
Hi there... just picked up my first 914. a 73. I have been reading a lot of the post tonight, just trying to see whats out there. I have built 11 bugs, 1 ghia and a fastback. Thought it was time to move on to the 914.
I want to put on 16x6 rims with 205/55/16 tires. What is my best options? Is it easier to have a rim drilled to the 4 lug, or to have rotors drilled for another lug pattern? I have seen some pics for the members and have seen some cool rims. Just need a little guidance. Thanks..
Also need to fix my shifter. Cant find half the gears because its sooooooo slooooopy. Was told that bushing should take care of this? Is there any aftermarket kits to shorten the throw as well. Pops out of fourth on occation, could be the sloppy shifter?????

Any info would be great.

Thanks everyone,
Brad
Twystd1
WELCOME BRAD...!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

You are in for a treat if ya hang out here....

SO... Based on your previous car builds...

You have plenty of jack stands... GOOD... you will need em... wink.gif

Have some fun and try the search function at the top (right) of the screen.

There is more info on how to change wheel patterns than you can read in a day.

AND: There are fellas here that make conversions specifically for some lug pattern and brake upgrades.

They will chime in shortly.

Most of all... Stick around and join in the Lunacy.

And if a guy named Aaron or Slits posts anything.... Completely disregard it... They are only 7 years old. blink.gif

Regards,
Twystd1
Aaron Cox
phuck you too buddy laugh.gif

Hey brad - welcome to the club.... welcome.png
Twystd1
av-943.gif
Andyrew
16x6, couple of options.. Revolution rims, or any other custom built rims in 4x130mm bolt pattern (Cost of rims)

Spacer/bolt adapters. Street car is ok, if it see's track time, they should not be used. (cost of spacers 200$ish and rims 200$ on up)

5 lug conversion. ala Re drilled hubs and rotors or 911 suspension. ( can be done for about $500-1k plus rims)

Shift bushings will do a lot, Motor mounts could be bad, trani mounts could be bad as well, bad trani wont make things any better, and you need to adjust the shift rod just right... Play around with it for about 20 mins. loosening it and moving it around and tightening it and repeating.. Try for 2nd gear (middle forward) or neutral if you can have someone hold the trani end in neutral.

Short shifters... Cheap one is weltmeister.. bout 50 bucks. If you have shifting problems, this will magnify it.
Then there is the almighty Rennshifter. bout 500 bucks. Drive your car daily? On the track? at all? Its worth every penny.

Welcome to the club!
Gint
Welcome Doug. Like Clayton said, do some searching of the site. You'll find LOTS of stuff.

welcome.png

and...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

beerchug.gif

Click the link in the Colordao-914 iage in my sig. We have a few guys in the Springs.
SLITS
I am officially ignored....... finger.gif KMA.gif

welcome.png
timberwolf177
Well now.. everyone here seems real friendly.. I like it. Thanks, I will try the search. Just trying to be economical on the wheels.. I would rather spend the high dollors on drive train.

I thought about the engine and tranny mounts. I will jack it up this weekend and start yanking on it all. I remember one of my bugs had that problem.. I also remember a friend of mine that had an early 60's bus that popped out of 4th, he would just put a bungy cord on it when he shifted into fourth on the freeway. I would get the biggest kick out of that.

Thanks again.. I will post some more, when I have more questions. beerchug.gif
brant
Brad,

I want to welcome you also...
cool purchase.

definitely hook up with the colorado teener group too.
we even have an upcoming 914 track event if your interested and a bunch of guys will be going on the 914 moab trip this fall.

welcome
brant
Joe Bob
New to our site...15x6 and 7 inch chrome steel wheels with 4x130 pattern....chrome hubcaps are available as well.

wwwjbugs.com you have to call the order the "special 914 offset"....
Leo Imperial
welcome.png jsharp.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
So.Cal.914
Welcome! Now kiss your saving's GOODBYE... smoke.gif
timberwolf177
Yeah, yeah.. thats what money is for... to spend. Thats why I own my own business... so I can make lots and spend lots... lol
biggrin.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.