Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
Prior owner, Jim Chambers, had MSX gears for autocrossing. Car is quick, but it made it trying to be on the interstate. I decided to put the standard Z gear in for 5th. This work is being done by Tab Tanner at Autobahn Garage in Findlay Ohio. Here we are aligning the engine/jack fitting.
jfort
got the engine out in less than an hour and separated the transmission.
jfort
I didn't think we'd get it back together.
jfort
we changed one of the shifting forks, too, as one looked and felt loose/worn. it would sometimes not shift into third. hope this solves that problem.
jfort
SOOOOO, as long as the engine is out, we get to looking at the rear suspension. terrible creaking noise and the right rear tire is out about an inch more than the left one. can see where the car was hit and it bent the rear suspension. measurements confirm. So, it is going to a place that has a frame rack and computer. They say they can get it back to within a millemeter or two.
jfort
I was surprised that they immediately called up the details for a 914. I hope this works and that we get everything put back together in time for the drive over to Hershey.
Porsche Rescue
Good to see the car again Jeff. I have had several sixes since that first one and it is still the most fun to drive. The 2.5/E cam combo. is quick.
Actually, Galen at Werks II suggested the MSX gearing for the track here at Portland after I told him I thought I would do some DE. Never intended to actually try to do any wheel to wheel racing. I think I got hustled into buying some gears I really didn't need. Live and learn.
Shortly before you bought the car I found one in San Jose, CA which I bought. I flew down and drove it home, 750 miles. It was geared even lower than yours. An indicated 80mph was 4400 rpm! It had your sport exhuast. What a trip. I should have stopped and bought earplugs!
jetboy
QUOTE (jfort @ Apr 8 2006, 02:29 PM)
terrible creaking noise and the right rear tire is out about an inch more than the left one. can see where the car was hit and it bent the rear suspension. measurements confirm. So, it is going to a place that has a frame rack and computer. They say they can get it back to within a millemeter or two.

Where exactly did you take your measurements? Was the rear suspension hit? Or the rear end? Or the front? What type of place is able to pull this straight again?

Any information is a huge help to me as my rear looks offset aswell, only on the other side. Thnx.
Joe Bob
I just did a trans and engine tear down on my tail dragger.....you'd think your garage would never see all the parts together again.

Good luck on your project.
jfort
it is at a normal body/frame shop. they use a computer and lasers. they put reflective pieces at prescribed places. i haven't seen it done, but they use chains and jacks to push/pull it to where it is supposed to be. we could see the hit in the right rear frame, forward of the suspension point, and see how it resulted in a push out of the suspension itself. they assure me they can put it back where it belongs. i'll let you know.
rhodyguy
this is very interesting. are the unibody corrections made with the rear control arms and front suspension in place? your car must have gone thru some fuel on the interstate.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.