Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weekend recap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drewvw

Sunday recap time. I replaced most of my vacuum lines and ripped out the plastic fuel lines in the engine compartment. To be continued tomorrow...

oh yeah, I did some stuff around the house too

cool.gif
Lou W
Today I drained the old gas out of the gas tank, I'm sending out to a local radiator shop and have it boiled out tomorrow, then it's off to the powder coater. smile.gif
Trekkor
it's still in my yard... dry.gif

KT
VaccaRabite
Well, I just replaced the filters and wipers on my Subaru. I looked really hard at the 914, though. Really hard.

Zach
drew365
Sat. I pulled off the front calipers and rotors. Time for new brakes.
Sun. Started to refinish my fireplace with limestone. Got to balance house and car.
Tobra
QUOTE (trekkor @ Apr 9 2006, 05:25 PM)
it's still in my yard... dry.gif

KT

It is raining out there again man, get a tarp on it, or not...

Went to do my undertank fuel lines, and discovered my hose clamps are too big, and that the fuel pump and filter are in the front, took off cover for MC and et voila! Sort of a funky looking pump, I told that dude I bought it from the pump was in front and he said, "No, I don't like that" Decent looking install though. will try a pic in the dark.

Had a second set of hands, so I put the second horn on, have to get different clamps, DOH. Did the petronix last week, finally got my firewall bushing so that is next weekend.
URY914
I changed the size of my carb jets to 140 mains and 55 idles and worked on the f-glass targa bar.

Changed the oil and filters in the tow rig. Reinstalled the winch on the trailer and begin to mount the tool box. Does that count?

drewvw

Oh that counts I think...
bernbomb914
I worked on the motor home. I replaced the flooring and all the furniture, had a new dinette built and my wife is making new curtians. its been a long choir but it is almost done. Leaving for Sedona on the 15th for a week and the wife wanted the motorhome cleaned up. Its a 89 and has had some hard use but it looks like new now.

Bernie
jasons
I took my inaugural drive in my $1300 craigslist car. When I got the car, the PO told me it didn't start he didn't know why. I don't know either, I just shot some starting fluid in it and it fired right up. Then it proceeded to try and destroy itself by leaking fuel like crazy. So... I procured some new FI line and fixed the leaks. Actually there is a loose wire on the cold start valve, so maybe thats why he had trouble. I adjusted the valves pulled up some carpet, new plugs, new throttle cable. Now, I have a better of assessment of the good and bad in this car.

GOOD clap56.gif

New Bilsteins in the back w/ some kind of performance springs.
Front and Rear factory Sway bars.
Good 2.0 SS heat exchangers.
rebuilt? 2.0 motor (appears rebuilt and I was told as much)
Weltmeister shift kit
911 SC front struts
SC (I think) Fuchs
Hella H4 conversion on the headlights
Good condition painted early bumper (no holes)
Console(needs recovered)

BAD sad.gif
Some kind of rigged up clutch tube fix with bailing wire
Been hit in the front where the passenger door meets the front fender. This has induced some long rust.
Has a broken exhaust stud, and another one has been drilled out and never replaced.
No exhaust hanger.
Missing some FI stuff.
Has hell hole rust, jack post rust, some firewall rust.

So, I'm a littled bummed about the body issues. But, the good stuff far outweighs the bad. Also, I have a pretty clean roller that has never been hit, but still needs paint and body and some rustoration. I can't bitch, I did pretty good for $1300 plus a tow truck.

user posted image
DanT
This week,
front sway bar went in, oil cooler was finalized and lines run, fan wiring completed to foglight circuit, Fuchs installed with Kumhos, ride height was finalized and we are ready for the first track event. CDS at BW 4/15-16

front trunk
DanT
ride height and Fuchs, ready to go to the track now.
Flat VW
QUOTE (jasons @ Apr 9 2006, 07:23 PM)
I have a pretty clean roller that has never been hit, but ...

it is pink!

John wavey.gif
degreeoff
welded in my new rear pans, fixed (with author-it-tye) the clutch tube, turned my 72 tail shifter firewall rubber boooooty thing into the sideshift rubber booooty thing (AKA small boot fits now)

and the engine compartment is almost paint rust grease free

next week is the cage fitting and suspension tie in (to the cage)
ClayPerrine
I tuned the six up and put in hotter plugs to cure the plug fouling I have been experiencing. I also replaced one bad plug wire end.

I need to finish up tomorrow by resyncing the MFI stacks and resetting the idle speed.

Friday I am off work, so I am going to do oil changes on both 914s and adjust the park brake shoes on mine.

blitZ
Installed David Lee's towbar, thanks Dave. aktion035.gif
Removed and packed injectors to send to CruzinPerformance for refurbishing.
Ripped out the remaining air injection plumbing, compartment looks much better now.

Sigh, no driving until the injectors return. dry.gif
jim912928
Started parting out my donor carrera so I can transplant the 3.2l engine in it. So far I've been taking parts off over the past week and sold 8 items...i'm 1/5 the way to break even and have hardly sold anything. Man, it's amazing what people will pay for used 911 parts!
michel richard
Fabricated some parts for my 901 tranny oil cooler project. Making progress. I've got a thread on it.

erikstoll
i got the power window fixed (new motor and regulator installed) on my Mitsubishi Galant unsure.gif
rmital
POR15'd the heck outa the car. How do you get to the area below the headlights. Where the drain tube passes thru to the bottom of the car?

....welded in battery tray....finally.

I almost feel like I'm getting close....to....finishing.....whatever that really means.....
drewvw

ray....didn't get to the damn shift bushings again!! Fuel and vacuum lines came a callin'.
Joe Owensby
Bought parts car at Charlotte Motor Speedway auto flea market. 2.0, with air conditioning, 5 good Fuchs, good windows, dash panel, lights and signal lenses, almost new SS heat exchangers. Body is probably not worth fixing, and I need a lot of parts to go on my existing restoration on my original 73, so I will probably use the new one as a donor. By the way, got mine on a rotisserie today also. Built one similar to AA plans, except didn't use engine stands. I built a pivot from nesting tubing. Have floor panels from RD to put in. Most of hell hole already done, as it wasn't too bad.

Joe O.
jasons
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Apr 9 2006, 06:29 PM)
QUOTE (jasons @ Apr 9 2006, 07:23 PM)
I have a pretty clean roller that has never been hit, but ...

it is pink!

John wavey.gif

But its rare! Oh the Cruel irony....
brp914
took the -6 out for a little excercise. had to u-turn and return home when the shifting went whack-o. Sure enuf, set screw on linkage backed out. So thats it - tightened a set screw. Not to worry tho - a 3.4 build, 915 install, and suspension/brake upgrade loom near. The slight delay resulted in an encounter with a new gt40. red w/ white stripes. The driver possibly sneezed or something, cuz he basically warped out of sight.
Doug Leggins
Drove the car for the 2nd time today. Only got in 3 miles before carb and electrical issues resurfaced. Had a big family gathering today and did not get a chance to do any debugging.

914forme
Got the engine out of the subbie donor, installed DLee's front tow hooks, and started working on the new fuel pump installation. Cleaned the workshop pushed the old subbie outside. Next got to work on the Truck, new brakes, and brake controller. Wife's parents borrowing it for a month long camping trip, need to make sure she is ready for the tow.
Joseph Mills
Finally got around to pullin' that effin' gas tank out! biggrin.gif

Only been on my list for a year.

I have other items that's been on it longer. rolleyes.gif

JoeSharp
I
picked up the rims from Al Read
Had the tires changed fron Lindas car to my bug
and the from my driver to Linda's car on the new wheels
mowed the back lawn
washed cars
retorqued the wheels on the cars
cleaned up in the gerage
got my taxes done
took pictures of the stair rail at my friends where I'm doing the stair caps
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
pib
Started tearing into the rust on my 75. Interior mostly out, rear trunk grinding about 3/4 done, changed the cardboard under the oil leak laugh.gif
KELTY360
Continued outfitting my Westy for a sea kayak trip starting tomorrow. BBQ'd turkey breast in the Weber, tested stovetop espresso maker, filled tupperware with various fixins to fit in the small refer, plumbed grey water drain system, made outrigger for solo loading of kayak on roof rack. Packing, packing, packing. Found nice looking silver button tach and 150 mph speedo at a VW swap meet, met up with other teeners in Tacoma to meet ScottB for lunch and libations - great time. Cleaned Westy windows to crystal clarity - gonna camp in a 360 view spot, mountains, islands, water, etc.

Looked wistfilly at my teener....maybe next week.
rmital
QUOTE (drewvw @ Apr 9 2006, 07:02 PM)
ray....didn't get to the damn shift bushings again!! Fuel and vacuum lines came a callin'.

.....Glenn over at Pelican absolutely assures me how easy that task is....

So I might drive the car a couple weeks before I attempt. Just to be sure I get some miles on it before it's back up on stands.
Allan
Teener's not at home so I got zero done on it.

Spent Saturday getting the yard and patio ready for an open house on Sunday.

Sunday sucked even worse. Open house was from 1:00 - 4:00 pm. 12:55 wife says I gotta run to the store. I got to sit doing absolutely nothing for three hours.

Wife pulls up at 4:01.

Anybody wanna buy a house?

Nice pool

Jaiden
I finished up my front end rebuild,
Did a rough alignment.
Finished up my fuel system rebuild,
Fuel up the teener

and went for a drive down the road!!!!! beerchug.gif
J P Stein
GUD
Came up one CV gasket short of my trans regear....how I ended up with just one new one is beyond me.
New front tires should be in this week.
BAD
Britian & I bled the brakes. After he left, I noticed the front calipers are draging badly........shitfuck.mad.gif
Time for SS pistons & such i'm afraid....suckers are pricey.

2 steps forward & one step back.....that's progress, right?wacko.gif
brant
Doug...
that is awesome!
wow that car is pretty.

Joe, could those stairs be any nicer!
can you come work on my house for a while?

JP,
dang...
hang in there
I think you are stubborn enough to show that car who is boss....

(can't wait to see you clean house at Parade this year!)

brant
jsteele22
Got it Up. Got Down. Got Dirty.

I've driven the teener a few times in the last week or two, but now the season has officially begun : Yesterday, I had it up on jackstands. Last fall when I was paranoid about passing emissions, I used snot in the oil, set the valves waaay loose, and re-installed the smog pump. So yesterday, I remedied those things. Fresh oil, filter, plugs, set valves correctly, yanked the octopus off. One of the air injector ports was stripped long ago (and I lost it at RRC) so I stuck a bolt in there with some high temp RTV. Gave it a few hours to set up, while I cleaned up and made myself presentable. Pulled the targa top off, settled into the seat, and ... nothing. No Start. headbang.gif

Re-attached one plug wire I forgot, checked all the rest. Checked for wires ripped out by the octopus. Nada. Went out for beer3.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (brant @ Apr 10 2006, 07:02 AM)

(can't wait to see you clean house at Parade this year!)

Well......I've seen the entry list and some of those guys are out of my league. Britain will be driving the car also.
If I can get him to quit using the car as a cone sweeper, I think he'll do well. biggrin.gif

The course will be unusual for an AX. A lot of wide guts in 3rd
stuff with practicly no tight stuff/rapid changes in direction.....a challenge in itself. HP & braking is gonna rule.

As for me, I need to pull 2-3 sec outta my ass to be in trophy land....no small chore for this old fart.
jr91472
I am still waiting to get my Dell 40 back from ACE. They are repairing a small leak around the lead plugs.

So....I decided to go ahead and pull the rockers off for striping and painting. Found some surface rust around one of the jack post (of course), so the POR-15 process is underway.....again.....
Mike T
Cleaned the Garage!
Hung some new cabinets to put stuff in.
Threw stuff out. Still have too much stuff...

Peeked under the cover at Big Butt. 1st autox sometime next month.

Mike T
Aaron Cox
twystd1 and i finally figured out carb issue. (after rebuilding 2x)
could be a small teardown soon on the heart of blackie...

got shocked by 51,000 volt coil while trouble shooting the CDI ignition
Mugs914
I finished off the rear tranny mount and got the new CIS mounting bracket fabbed on the turbo. More pics in the blog...

tdgray
Finally got back to work on teener. Not much but it's something.

Did>>>

1. Shift bar back in and adjusted.
2. Clutch adjusted.
3. Some vaccum lines put in... damn hard when there were none there to begin with.
4. Installed relay board and FI brain and plugged in all electrical connects.
5. Put the cover back on and shoved her back in the corner sad.gif
Lou W
QUOTE (Lou W @ Apr 9 2006, 06:19 PM)
Today I drained the old gas out of the gas tank, I'm sending out to a local radiator shop and have it boiled out tomorrow, then it's off to the powder coater. smile.gif

I took the gas tank over to local radiator shop that a friend of mine owns, he told me that he can't boil it out, they've been outlawed in Riverside County, he said he got rid of his 14 years ago. mad.gif
Aaron Cox
lou w,

stanton radiator smile.gif
off beach blvd in stanton
Lou W
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 10 2006, 11:26 AM)
lou w,

stanton radiator smile.gif
off beach blvd in stanton

Thanks, I'll give them a try. smile.gif
drewvw

I think I may start this thread every sunday from now on...seems like a good motivational tool biggrin.gif
szuccaro
Valve adjustment
Checked rear brakes - ok
Replaced front brakes - freed up stuck piston
Adjusted E brake
Checked master cylinder - ok
Bled Brakes
Check steering and suspension
Installed Compufire electronic ignition
Adjusted timing
Adjusted carbs
TonyAKAVW
Pulled out the 1.7 engine, transmission and exhaust.

Cut out sheet metal in engine bay to make way for the Subaru engine

-Tony
TeamAxisRacing
i installed my motor muhahahah mrs.K.gif (tried to upload pic but nooooooooooo) ar15.gif
Bleyseng
This motor?
IPB Image

Did you finish the CV/axles?

When all done it should look like this!
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.