Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Somebody Redecorated our place
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Verruckt
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 14 2006, 02:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Verruckt @ Apr 14 2006, 12:28 PM) *

I guess I should add..

Your box was rooted from an exploit in the software you were using. So no amount of firewalls would have protected from that. I'm not telling you your business, just the facts. A firewall would have only stopped a few of the things you menthioned. A firewall is not a replacement for patch management. Keep the box updated as much as possible.

A firewall will definitely help though, and the Nokia is yours if you want it.

yes, never said it would. there's another thread here somewhere where i go more into detail. i've been around this stuff for a while. firewall DOES help protecting against the "brute force" attacks he was running, at least on the NetBios Port as there is NO reason to share this one with the world.

i'll gladly pay shipping! you rock ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

I never saw that other thread? What was the title? I'd like to read it.

This nokia is a 4u. I'm not sure what your hosting arrangement is, but just know that it's big. PM me and we can get down to brass tacks.
Rand

Your box was rooted from an exploit in the software you were using. So no amount of firewalls would have protected from that.

Good points Kurt. And very cool to offer the firewall! smilie_pokal.gif

The guys know what they are doing... they know a hole in the old board software was exploited. Hence the upgrade at the cost of a ton of customization work. The firewall would have been a huge protection for things like the port 139 attack that was happening after the site was compromised.
[edit: never mind, my post was slow smile.gif ]

On skins...
Admins: Will multiple skins be supported now? Are you cool with people building some custom skins that could be submitted for approval and added to the list of choices?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Verruckt @ Apr 14 2006, 01:00 PM) *

This nokia is a 4u. I'm not sure what your hosting arrangement is, but just know that it's big. PM me and we can get down to brass tacks.

got plenty of space left, more than half a rack ...

i'm going to lunch now, i'll PM you when i get back ...
chowtime.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Verruckt @ Apr 14 2006, 01:00 PM) *

I never saw that other thread? What was the title? I'd like to read it.

i'll have to look for it. maybe that was on the bird board? alzheimers ...
confused24.gif Andy
McMark
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 14 2006, 01:03 PM) *

On skins...
Admins: Will multiple skins be supported now? Are you cool with people building some custom skins that could be submitted for approval and added to the list of choices?

It's a possibility. (It always was)

Jeroen is in charge of look and feel. He'll have to answer this question.
markb
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 13 2006, 01:05 PM) *

ewwwww... ugly standar look biggrin.gif
well good thing we have a long weekend ahead
instead of painting easter eggs I'll throw some paint around here wink.gif

oh... and thanks Andy/Mark for all the hard work and getting the site up and runnin' again!

agree.gif

And a big thanks to you, too, Jeroen, for all the work you will be putting in.

I'm with Jen, it's good to have our "home" back, even if it is a bit different for a while.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 14 2006, 02:55 PM) *

I guess I should add..

Your box was rooted from an exploit in the software you were using. So no amount of firewalls would have protected from that. I'm not telling you your business, just the facts. A firewall would have only stopped a few of the things you menthioned. A firewall is not a replacement for patch management. Keep the box updated as much as possible.

A firewall will definitely help though, and the Nokia is yours if you want it.

yes, never said it would. there's another thread here somewhere where i go more into detail. i've been around this stuff for a while. firewall DOES help protecting against the "brute force" attacks he was running, at least on the NetBios Port as there is NO reason to share this one with the world.

i'll gladly pay shipping! you rock ...
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

Andy... just a curiosity quesiton....

Why is the netbios protocol enabled? I doubt it is needed for this BBS. Turn it off and block netbios at the router.

My DNS server is NT 4.0. It has not been hacked. Of course the ONLY port allowed to it is port 53.

SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 14 2006, 05:37 PM) *

Why is the netbios protocol enabled? I doubt it is needed for this BBS. Turn it off and block netbios at the router.

My DNS server is NT 4.0. It has not been hacked. Of course the ONLY port allowed to it is port 53.

first, no router. straight into the OCR pipe. well, of course there IS a router somewhere, but it doesn't belong to us (me) ...

second, NetBios is (was) enabled because the server is one of many in the colo and i have used it in the past for backups from other machines.
easiest way, set up a (password protected of course) network share and run a script at 3 am that does your backup.
werks like a charm and wouldn't be any problem at all if the 914club box was behind a firewall ...

i have netbios turned off right now until we get a firewall in front of this box ...
ph34r.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.