Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New site bugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lapuwali
I'm noticing a lot of posts which only show up as the EMAIL button with an arrow "-->". The other buttons are also screwed up, and sometimes several posts in a row are messed up.

The "And you think a V8 swap is special" thread is a great example. I *think* it only happens if the poster has their email address "public", so the email button shows up at the bottom.

Note, this may only appear on Firefox. It seems to work OK in IE.
Qarl
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Apr 13 2006, 12:42 PM) *

I'm noticing a lot of posts which only show up as the EMAIL button with an arrow "-->". The other buttons are also screwed up, and sometimes several posts in a row are messed up.

The "And you think a V8 swap is special" thread is a great example. I *think* it only happens if the poster has their email address "public", so the email button shows up at the bottom.

I am using Firefox (latest version) with no problems, but I did visit the V8 site and notice the E-mail button posts.
Rand
I noticed it too. For an example, here is a thread that has it bad.

About 3/4 the way down the first page, where Z posted after Britt it starts getting wacky. I saw Britt's post, and though he was using Z's signature photo... then realized the messages were almost overlapping.

Looks to me like there is a closing html tag missing.
lapuwali
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 13 2006, 10:54 AM) *

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Apr 13 2006, 12:42 PM) *

I am using Firefox (latest version) with no problems, but I did visit the V8 site and notice the E-mail button posts.

Hm. Hadn't noticed I was still running 1.0.2 on my Windows box. I have no choice on my Unix box to run what I've got now (1.0.7), which has the problem. I just upgraded to 1.5.0.1 on Windows and I'm still seeing the problem. Look at Mueller's post in this thread: V8 thread

I'm still seeing the problem. The post body has the email button, and the Top and Quote and "Reply buttons show up in the right pane. No bottom pane is shown.
URY914
Are the PM's working?

I've sent several out and I know the guys are online. Maybe no one likes me?

Paul dry.gif
charlesmac
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 13 2006, 10:03 AM) *

Are the PM's working?

Paul dry.gif

we still like you Paul.
I had trouble getting on walla go. I could get the home page to show up, but when i tried to get into the garage, the school's firewall had it blocked. I don't know if it was the site or a glitch in the firewall, but it works now. I was fixin to get all upset, being without it for a couple days and all. no worries now, hmmm..................
ematulac
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 13 2006, 11:03 AM) *

Are the PM's working?

Paul dry.gif

PM sent. Can you hear me now? huh.gif
URY914
QUOTE(ematulac @ Apr 13 2006, 10:18 AM) *

Are the PM's working?

Paul dry.gif

I got it. PM's work.
No buddy likes me.... confused24.gif
bondo
I'm noticing this too. I didn't say anything because I thought it was happening to everyone and would be obvious. It's not related to the poster's active buttons or whatnot, because I saw it had happened to one of my posts, but not others. On my post that it did happen on, the text of my post was missing, and my signature was appearing as the post, and in bold.

One other strangeness I noticed was that a thread (the one about the ebay isetta) was bumped to the first page, but the most recent post was in 2005.

I'm not complaining though, just trying to provide helpful troubleshooting info. I'm just glad we're back online! smile.gif
McMark
Thanks for the help in trouble shooting it. If someone can load a messed up page, view the HTML code and decipher what is missing it will help figure out the problem and save me from having to do that.
drewvw
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 13 2006, 10:44 AM) *

Thanks for the help in trouble shooting it. If someone can load a messed up page, view the HTML code and decipher what is missing it will help figure out the problem and save me from having to do that.

I'll take a quick look right now and see what I can find
alpha434
Alright. Here's my input. Everone close their eyes.

1. My loading is WAY slower. And I'm sporting a T3 connection.
2. Some of the sigs in back posts really mess up the page. I had to change the skin to "Invision origanl" or whatever the low one is, to view them correctly.
3. There is a scroll bar for all the readily available smilies. That has to go. I spend enough time looking for the right smily for my mood as it is.
4. The club banner isn't flying at the top of the page. I sure hope the new prog supports that...
5. The colors and the format are really a downgrade. Before, it was really obvious what posts youve read and what you haven't and what posts are important. Now, it's like learnig spanish. You can understand it if you squint really hard at the guy speaking it. <--- Can Andy download more skins from the invision site? We've got three now, and they're all the same crappy blue.
bondo
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Apr 13 2006, 11:54 AM) *

Some of the sigs in back posts really mess up the page.

When displaying your sig, it only seems to be able to show some sort of technical summary of a demented robotic bunny weasel hybrid thing. That can't be right! wink.gif
lapuwali
More data: it's not user specific. In the thread "Stuck Injector", some of yarin's posts are messed up, some aren't.
neo914-6
anyone else have problems posting pics? Says I have 0 bytes Global space...
lapuwali
OK, it looks like there are more "open HTML comment" than there are "close HTML comment". In the yarin post in the Stuck Injector thread, it's a comment after a div of class postcolor id post-656820. It looks like someting in the QuoteBegin block there is odd, and it doesn't see the end comment just after the timestamp. Perhaps the string QuoteBegin DNHunt ... is confusing things?

Perhaps the problem is something in the quoted post?

In any case, it's treating most of the rest of the post as an HTML comment (in Firefox), and the arrow we see after the Email button is the close comment that's not working.

drewvw

I'm getting closer to the "email -->" bug. It looks like it has something to do with quoting....

still working....building identical good and bad post code samples and doing diffs on them
alpha434
QUOTE(bondo @ Apr 13 2006, 02:02 PM) *
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Apr 13 2006, 11:54 AM) *

Some of the sigs in back posts really mess up the page.

When displaying your sig, it only seems to be able to show some sort of technical summary of a demented robotic bunny weasel hybrid thing. That can't be right! wink.gif

That's a "fast." Remember the Volkswagen commercials? Sometimes my fast and my girlfriend don't get along? Bet ya didn't know that they're bunnies. I didn't until recently. Almost takes the cool outa the commercial. Except that I think that bunny would choke me to death if I said so.

I don't get a "post confirmed, please wait while we redirect you" page after hitting "post." Just a blank page and then I have to browse back to where ever I wanted to be.
Dead Air
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 13 2006, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(ematulac @ Apr 13 2006, 10:18 AM) *

Are the PM's working?

Paul dry.gif

I got it. PM's work.
No buddy likes me.... confused24.gif

We didn't know how to tell you. happy11.gif
John
A little off topic, but do we need seperate topics for different bugs/problems/omissions???

Are the BLOGS all gone now or have they not yet been included?

Or haven't I found them yet?

Rand
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 13 2006, 10:44 AM) *

The problem is a mismatch of opening and closing html comment tags in the "formbuttonrow"
drewvw
Mark,

PM sent. Something is going on with the quoting. There are a bunch of malformed tags and operational comments when people quote which is throwing things off kilter. I am also seeing some data caching with quote data as well, going from post to post.

Drew
lapuwali
To anyone who didn't hang in the PP "club site is down" thread...

The club site got hacked, and an upgrade to newer board software was required to close off the hole the hacker used. The old theme, the blogs, and other stuff were all modifications to the old board software, and much of it was incompatible, or just too much of a hassle to move over while the site was down. So, we're currently using the default Invision theme, ugly as it is, and don't have any of the very nice bells and whistles added by the admins over the years to the old software.

Andy, McMark, and Jeroen are, as far as I know, intending to bring back the club site to how it used to be (or an improvement to how it used to be) as soon as possible, spare time permitting.

No data was lost during this incident, it's all sitting in backup files.

The bug I'm reporting is, I suspect, a bug in the new version of the board software, which can probably be fixed by the admins as soon as it's been pinned down exactly.
Rand
BTW... Andy, McMark, Jeroen, and anyone else working on this: Thanks! I don't care WTF it looks like, I'm just happy to have the community back online. The skins, bells, and whistles will be nice when you get around to them.
beerchug.gif
Part Pricer
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Apr 13 2006, 04:02 PM) *

The bug I'm reporting is, I suspect, a bug in the new version of the board software, which can probably be fixed by the admins as soon as it's been pinned down exactly.

If it is a bug in the new version of the software, we shouldn't be fixing it. Brad bought a perpetual license that provides us free support for the first year. If it's a bug, it's their code, let them fix it.

We should report it and let Invision come up with the fix. Anything we do will just be a one-off and put us in the position where we have software that the vendor cannot support.
drewvw
agree.gif

I think some of the problems we are experiencing are due to the fact that some of the historical data relies on the customized functionality that is not (yet) compatible the new BBS software.

bd1308
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 13 2006, 11:58 AM) *

I noticed it too. For an example, here is a thread that has it bad.

About 3/4 the way down the first page, where Z posted after Britt it starts getting wacky. I saw Britt's post, and though he was using Z's signature photo... then realized the messages were almost overlapping.

Looks to me like there is a closing html tag missing.

actually Rand, that's a screen shot I snapped wink.gif

jk

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.