Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: is this bolt critical? front 911 suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
i think it previously just held some debris protection shield.

but does it help keep the front suspension stationary? driving.gif
Joe Bob
Need a pic from underneath and straight on to tell....

But ya usually need all the bolts.... dry.gif

Especially with THAT monster.... w00t.gif
dweymer
QUOTE(! @ Apr 14 2006, 06:38 PM) *

Need a pic from underneath and straight on to tell....

Especially with THAT monster.... w00t.gif

If that is the bolt that comes down through the x-member it is one of the bolts for the underbody sway bar, and the bellypan. Probably no use for you with a through the body sway.
ClayPerrine
shocked[1].gif

That bolt IS critical. It holds the crossmember onto the car.

Fix it before you drive the car again.

Howard
I have no idea, but sure like the title of this post. Would hate to hear same in the hangar beer.gif
TimT
What is in there now? from the pic it looks like a stud or something..

But I cant really tell from the pic you have shown us.

If there is no bolt, or no stud with nut in that location. you need one bad.. before you drive the car
ein 6er
you may be right about it just holding the splash pan, it's hard to tell from the pic though.oddly, the expolded view doesn't show a bolt or stud and nut there.

doug

edit ..... do you have the # 3 brace? maybe the bolt you show is where #10 and the # 4 nut attach. i think it also holds the pan on.
BK911
QUOTE(! @ Apr 14 2006, 02:38 PM) *

Too funny.

That is the bolt that ties the cross member into the car. On a 911 I wouldn't drive the car without it. On a 914....???? Good luck!
dweymer
The bolt that holds the xmember to the tub would ummm..... go into the tub not down below into space(not a good material for locking down parts, air is funny like that). It is hidden by the mustard circle that was drawn. I will go take a pic for you.

D
Aaron Cox
hat isnt the xmember to tub bolts....

those are outboard and way bigger. (you can see it to the right of the pic)

i beleive its either splashpan or swaybar
dweymer
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 15 2006, 01:23 AM) *

hat isnt the xmember to tub bolts....

those are outboard and way bigger. (you can see it to the right of the pic)

i beleive its either splashpan or swaybar

Green arrow is xmember to tub, red arrow is where the belly pan/sway bar mounts, blue arrow is ride height adjustment.

Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
yup. nice vusal donnie
Dr. Roger
your right about the pic. it sucks... =-)

here's a better one from the other direction.

there's a bolt just in the hole for no apparent reason. it came with the suspension....

unless it's for something important.... "THAT, is the question". mrs.K.gif sorry, i just crack up whenever i see this smiley. LOL
John
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Apr 14 2006, 10:02 PM) *

your right about the pic. it sucks... =-)

here's a better one from the other direction.

there's a bolt just in the hole for no apparent reason. it came with the suspension....

unless it's for something important.... "THAT, is the question". mrs.K.gif sorry, i just crack up whenever i see this smiley. LOL

That bolt and the bracket that goes with it (a semi-straight bar) is a critical part of the aluminum front axle assembly. On the steel axles, the brace was welded to the tube, but on the aluminum ones it is bolted on.

Without the brace, the aluminum axle can flex while in the car.
Dr. Roger
so are saying I need to find some of those 911 braces...??

CRAP!
Howard
You got your doctorate in what????
Dr. Roger
Hmmm,

here's the 914 suspension.

yep, that brace is welded on.

stock ones are pretty weak so maybe i'll fab a couple of them tomorrow... dang... =-)
Dr. Roger
geeeez howie... didnt you hear?? "love".
BK911
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Apr 14 2006, 10:54 PM) *

so are saying I need to find some of those 911 braces...??

CRAP!

EBS carries them.
pek771
That looks like the splash pan bolt, which also holds the sway bar backet. At least, that's what it is on my 911 SC. On a 914, it is not necessary.
Disclaimer... I will verify this later, when I feel like lying on my back on the garage floor with my camera.
Pat
pek771
OK, Dr., I made it back from the abyss of the passenger side window winder sticking repair on the 911. Here's a couple of pictures of the bolt in question, vs same view of the 914.

Disclaimer #2...if I can figure out how to load the photos
pek771
914 same view
dweymer
QUOTE(pek771 @ Apr 15 2006, 09:23 PM) *

914 same view

Correct as posted above Roger(I stand corrected). The bolts are for the belly pan, and also the xmember straps on the aluminum ones. They aid in torsionally stability, DC automotive has them for like 45/pair.
Dr. Roger
thank you much guys.

y'all are the bomb-diggety, YO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.