Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where does your temp needle sit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris H.
Just a quick question... I have a '75 1.8L and recently swapped the incorrect '73 console temp gauge with the correct one which has the much smaller "red zone". It seems like the needle reads much higher than the old one. It's lined up with the "p" stem in TEMP at operating temperature. Not into the red at all, but higher than the last one read. Where does yours sit normally? Guesstimates welcome.

Thanks,

Chris H.
SirAndy
you should get the one that has numbers on it.
can't help you here, never had a oil-temp before, and now it's a 911 gauge and i still have to hook it up.

Andy
Chris H.
I agree, the numbered one is a great idea.
nebreitling
last time my car was at HPH, I had them take the oil temperature after they had warmed it up. they were able to tell me that when the needle pointed over the "E" (of "TEMP), the oil was 200; at "M", it was 210. obviously, this technique isn't the most ideal, but it gives me a baseline to work from.

my 75 2.0 use to run up towards the red (probably around 225 or 230) and would overheat if i let it. removed the rain tray, helped a little. removed the airpump. that helped some too. replaced the old HE's with a decent used set, new muffler (the old one had all sorts of holes in it), and bypassed the EGR system: now, on all but the hottest days or steepest hills, it doesn't crawl much above 210 -- and usually is more towards 205 (between the "E" and the "M").

good enough for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.