Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car Prep/Protection after Sandblasting/Sodablasting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
I have a buddy that is beginning the restoration of a '66 Mustang. He lives in Dallas and is concerned about surface rust build-up on the car after soda blasting it. He will have to do lot of rust repair and body work before it gets painted which could be several years as his rate. What is the preferred method of protecting the metal after stripping all the paint via sandblasting or sodablasting? I have heard about zinc chromate, how does that work?

-Britain
Allan
I was always told to get a coat of primer on it as soon as you can. You can still do the rust repair later.
neo914-6
I was/am in the same dilema for my bare metal fenders. Brandon advised me not to spray them until ready to paint. I was hoping to have a uniform primer color while working on other parts but primer doesn't seal against moisture. It would have to be removed (2x labor) prior to metal prep. If you use a PPG primer sealer apparently there is a limited time before it should be painted...
SirAndy
you *could* spray it down with something like metal ready ...
MR can be prepped for primer later.

i have never done that tho, so don't listen to me ...
smile.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.