Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Widow installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WRX914
I am down to what seems to be the biggest pain in the butt. I am attempting to install the drivers and passenger door window seal kit (with fuzzies). I have an aluminum channel that screws (bolts) to the inner part of the door. The old fuzzies just slid right out of it's channel, but when I tried to replace it with the new fuzzy, I am having a real hard time getting the new fuzzy to slide in the channel. Any ideas? Also, does anyone have an installation diagram showing what seals and fuzzies go where? As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Keith
So.Cal.914
Well when I did mine I used rubbing alcohol in the channel and on the part. It helps the rubber slide and when you are done the alcohol evaporates. smoke.gif
LvSteveH
Silicon or glycerin work well. The best tip I can offer is to make sure the channel is nice and clean and free of bends or deformities. That applies to most of the rubber seal channels as well. The extra time spent making sure everything is straight is well worth it.
WRX914
The fuzzies actually have a woven backing on them. I am not having troubles with the rubber components, just the fuzzies. Pics?
MarkV
The outer fuzzie is mounted on a alluminum channel that is attached to the door with some tiny phillips head screws. There are three or four holes under the innner fuzzie that give you access to the screw heads to the outer fuzzies. The screws are in holes on the face of the fuzzy and are a pain to get out. Mine were rusted solid. Use some PB Blaster on them before you try to remove them. Once you get the alluminum channel out the fuzzie slides out of the channel. confused24.gif
WRX914
QUOTE(MarkV @ Apr 17 2006, 03:53 PM) *

The outer fuzzie is mounted on a alluminum channel that is attached to the door with some tiny phillips head screws. There are three or four holes under the innner fuzzie that give you access to the screw heads to the outer fuzzies. The screws are in holes on the face of the fuzzy and are a pain to get out. Mine were rusted solid. Use some PB Blaster on them before you try to remove them. Once you get the alluminum channel out the fuzzie slides out of the channel. confused24.gif

Got all of that done...

I just need assistance in advising how the new fuzzies "slide"back in. my fuzzies seem to be just a RCH too wide to slide down the channel. Any hints as to how to slide the new fuzzies back in the old channel?

confused24.gif
MarkV
QUOTE(WRX914 @ Apr 18 2006, 10:39 AM) *

Got all of that done...

I just need assistance in advising how the new fuzzies "slide"back in. my fuzzies seem to be just a RCH too wide to slide down the channel. Any hints as to how to slide the new fuzzies back in the old channel?

confused24.gif

I haven't done that step yet. I have the new fuzzies & haven't installed them. Try some spray silicone.
markb
QUOTE(MarkV @ Apr 18 2006, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(WRX914 @ Apr 18 2006, 10:39 AM) *

Got all of that done...

confused24.gif

I haven't done that step yet. I have the new fuzzies & haven't installed them. Try some spray silicone.

I'm also attempting the fuzzies today. Pain in the butt! I haven't been able to get one more than a quarter of the way on, and that's using some rubber care to help it slide.
WRX914
Certainly someone has done this and can offer some help...

Toast
Lubercation baby.
biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Damn it Toast... knock it off!
markb
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 18 2006, 05:55 PM) *

Damn it Toast... knock it off!

agree.gif

Now I gotta go take a cold shower....

biggrin.gif
markb
Anybody gotten their fuzzies on yet? I can only get mine in half way. confused24.gif

Geez, I can just see the comments coming in on that sentence. biggrin.gif
WRX914
Not yet, I am beginning to do damage to the webbing backing. I think I will bring it to a local metal worker and see if we can open the aluminum channel, insert the fuzzy and clamp the channel back down...

markb
I understand your frustration. I've tried a couple of different lubricants, tried spreading the channel a little, even brute force & ignorance didn't work. biggrin.gif
WRX914
Lemme guess, you got the fuzzies from AA?

I have contacted a very well known hot rodder here in Vegas, he told me that we will definately be able to get the fuzzies on one way or another... I think we will have to open the "C" channel and insert the fuzzy and then clamp it back into place...

Keith

Let me know what your plans are...

WRX914
Any news?

icon_bump.gif
markb
I finally got mine on by using the handle of a pair of pliers (or something else that won't tear the fabric, but will bend the metal), and bent the back side of the strip a little. It then slid into the channel with a little work. Only do about three inches at a time. smile.gif
davesprinkle
You can't slide the seal into place -- you've got 2 feet of rubber-on-metal friction working against you. Also I found that any attempt to slide the seal into the holder tended to tear the fabric backing. I successfully installed mine by just prying the seal into place with the tip of a blade screwdriver. Just put one side in and use the blade to press the other side into place. Just work your way from one end of the other, pressing in 1/4" of the seal at a time.

I don't suggest opening and re-crimping the holder. You might work-harden and crack the aluminum.
rhodyguy
i like your bike dave.

k
L73
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Apr 29 2006, 10:11 PM) *

You can't slide the seal into place -- you've got 2 feet of rubber-on-metal friction working against you. Also I found that any attempt to slide the seal into the holder tended to tear the fabric backing. I successfully installed mine by just prying the seal into place with the tip of a blade screwdriver. Just put one side in and use the blade to press the other side into place. Just work your way from one end of the other, pressing in 1/4" of the seal at a time.

I don't suggest opening and re-crimping the holder. You might work-harden and crack the aluminum.

Holy Crap that took all day, but I got one door done one more to go.......
Thank You Dave, that tip did it!!!!!!!!
JPB
QUOTE(Toast @ Apr 18 2006, 07:15 PM) *

Lubercation baby.
biggrin.gif

Sorry toast. A real man looks at the situation up close and faces the matter. Lubrication just somehow happens in this apraoch.

jsharp.gif Whare's da bayf?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.