Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Burning Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
omoore3
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I just got given a 2.0 '74-75? project car. Thanks to a quick response, I did find the fuel --under the front.

I feel like an idiot asking this--I have owned 2 356s, a 911 SC Targa, a 944 and two 928's. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the back trunk?

Secondly, the interior of the car and the front trunck is stuffed with pieces that have been removed. Can anyone recommend a book that would have pictures of parts in it so I can begin ctataloging this mess?

Many thanks in advance

Oliver
seanery
The back trunk has a vw style push button release and lock unless someone put a PORSCHE reflector between the tail lights. If that is the case you probably have a solenoid somewhere, i dunno where though.

There is a book, I don't know where mine is:
How to restore and modify your 914 Porsche

This might be a good starting place.
omoore3
Thanks for the quick reply. yeah, there is a Porsche reflector. As for a solenoid, this is going to be a real easter egg hunt as the wiring harness is a hash.

I will get that book.
Oliver
omoore3
Well, I just went out into the yard and ripped the Porsche reflector off and discovered that there is no key hole. Odd that there wouldn't be a mechanical way to open it. What would you do with a dead battery?
Oliver
brant
The factory hole, must have been filled...
sometimes when people install reflectors.. they use a mechanical pull cable instead of a solenoid.....

2 places you should look are: below the trunk for a cable pull..

or in the engine bay for a cable pull...

brant
seanery
REASON 368 not to buy a 914 with a PORSCHE reflector stuck on it!
boxstr
Look directly in the center of the rear bimper at the bottom and under the car near where the muffler would be. Some have added a cable or chain, it is a mechanical failsafe for dead battery or failed solenoid.
Craig IN DAMP CAMP 914
Jeffs9146
you ripped off the reflector??? Bummer!
I had a buddy who drilled a small hole in the center floor of the trunk and used a coat hanger to pull down the plunger on the solinoid when an accedent cut his power wire.
Crawf
I have a pull system in the engine bay, located passenger side, hidden away up towards the front of the trunk above the back of my carb.
Alfred
QUOTE(omoore3 @ Feb 21 2003, 06:11 AM)
Can anyone recommend a book that would have pictures of parts in it so I can begin ctataloging this mess?

Many thanks in advance

Oliver

The Haynes 914 repair manual is a must have and you might also want Dr. Brett Johnson's book "914 and 914-6 Porsche A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity". They are both available online at Pelican Parts or Amazon.com .

Alfred
Jeffs9146
You can see my pull cable that goes from the plunger to the engine comp. I have used it many times durring the restoration.

Jeff
L8Apex
Burning? This might cool that question down laugh.gif

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.