Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gosh dang it! My clutch will not release completely anymore
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
When everything went in the car (V8 engine/trans) it was new.
I adjusted everything per the best specs available. (found here and from Renegade)

When i first ran her engauging first gear was no problem.

Now, 100 miles later, it seems to be getting harder and harder to get 'er into first gear.

I've adjusted the clutch cable to the point of riding on the clutch plate/TO bearing.

any more and the clutch would start to disengauge. blink.gif

i've watched the clutch lever go back and forth and it looks like everything moves smoothly.

i did, however, bend the clutch fork a little during assembly because i thought iti needed to in order to mate the engine/transaxle. slap.gif

so now what do I do??

oh, i've got a RH flywheel and TO bearing, a kennedy clutch plate and pressure plate.
I'm feeling pretty stumped on this one...... confused24.gif
racerx7

Check the clutch tube on the firewall. Mine was real
weak. It used to move, then one day it broke. WTF.gif
Dr. Roger
so if the cable tube was starting to give up, the symptom would be the clutch cable would get looser and looser no matter how much I've tightened it?
Andyrew
Youve got the wrong TO bearing in there dude. SAME exact thing happened to me. Your running a stock 901 TO bering arnt you... You need one milled to accept the KEP bearing.. its a flat face bearing, not a rounded faced one for the rounded face on the pressure plate..

Andrew

PS you'll need a new clutch and PP as well I believe.
Dr. Roger
which one is this?????

IPB Image
racerx7
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Apr 18 2006, 11:40 PM) *

so if the cable tube was starting to give up, the symptom would be the clutch cable would get looser and looser no matter how much I've tightened it?

No. I was a dumb 20 year old kid when I had my 914 (1985 ish). I kept tighting the damn thing.
Well, eventally the shift fork has no where to go. So, the next time I stepped on the clutch
the cable did not break, the shift fork did not break. Something had to give and it was the
firewall. UGH.

Dr. Roger
Andyrew, is this the right TO bearing?

I've got to get this sorted out, because the sun is out. The clock is ticking and I need to break something so the car can go back in the garage again for another month or two....

<sarcastic smilie>
Elliot_Cannon
It could be your clutch cable is broken and only held on by a few strands of wire. That would result in the same symtoms. Reach under there and give it a good tug. Maybe you only need a new cable.

Elliot
Andyrew
Thats the flat one, check your PP side to see if its round or flat...

Has to pivot on something..

THey also could be right.. take out your clutch cable and inspect it.

Cap'n Krusty
I've seen this a couple of times with Kennedy pressure plates. Stock one worked fine, the KEP one didn't work at all. (This was with stock VW configurations.) There was a similar complaint here a couple of weeks ago ......... The Cap'n
Brad Roberts
That is the correct TO.

Show me the pressure plate and disc.

B
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 19 2006, 01:05 PM) *

That is the correct TO.

Show me the pressure plate and disc.

B

So far this is the best pic i have of the PP and disk.... sucks, I know....

I'll keep looking.
IPB Image
Dr. Roger
and this probably doesn't help at all..... but here ya' go anyway.....

IPB Image
Dr. Roger
alright brad,

this is all i have on the clutch plate.... i don't know if it helps....

your help is greatly appreciated. KMA.gif biggrin.gif
Andyrew
I believe thats also the correct pressure plate as well... Brad would have to confirm it, but the three bars and the green color look exactly like what was/is in mine.

Andrew

It appears as if you have other problems.
neo914-6
Rog,

Are the flywheel bolts the short head type?
Dr. Roger
Felix, yes, they are the shorites... =-) that pic was when they were hand tight. 2 were temporaries...

Interesting find this evening.....

See if you can identify why by clutch doesn't disengage. Hmmmmm......

Please note: this pic is with the clutch fully "IN".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.