Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drain plugs in the . . . FLOOR - what are the good for?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike McGrath
I have stripped out damn near all of the black soundproofing from my floor panels.
I was able to pry out the front left drain plug, which was leaking anyway, but the other three are still covered with that gray goop and they just ain't coming out without some serious BFH'ing and scraping all day long. My question is - if there isn't any leaking apparent / no rust channels or anything, do I need to bother getting them out? For the one that is out, I figure I'll just weld in a piece of sheet metal to fill the hole and seal it.

TIA,

Mike (in Portland)
davep
I think the consensus is that they were access points for the spot-welder. Do what you want with them.
Brad Roberts
Leave them alone. Glue the other one back in. No need to weld it up. Lock it back into place and slather some seam sealer on it.

B
pib
Sorry to hijack...but what product do you use for re-sealing them? I'm just about finished grinding all of that crap out of my trunk and treating the minor rust, and I was wondering if they needed to be sealed at all, or if POR 15 would be enough?
r_towle
Absolutely nothing...say it again now....
Brad Roberts
Seam sealer. All body shop supply places will have it in a caulking tube configuration. I use 3M products typically.

I personally dont believe POR15 is enough to seal them.

I also believe you can get the expanding style seam sealer that closely resembles what the factory used when they built the cars...either way you will need to spread it around.

B
Brad Roberts
I see you are in Monterrey. Salinas has several VERY good body shop supply places (you may already know this)

B
Mike McGrath
I think I tweaked the one I pulled out, because it is bent. I know, I should work for NASA for my deductive skills. It still has all that sealer crap on top that I can't scrape off. So that's why I'm thinking of welding one in and adding sealer on top.

Just have to do that, weld in a patch or two, POR the floors, add the carpet, add the seats, redo the dash, fix the battery tray, change the springs . . . man, this is a FUN car. smile.gif

pib
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 19 2006, 04:26 PM) *

I see you are in Monterrey. Salinas has several VERY good body shop supply places (you may already know this)
B

There are a couple in Monterey, but I'll happily take whatever references you have for Salinas, I'm out there a few times a month, and I'll be needing supplies soon. Know any good painters around here? It's a few months away, but I'll be looking for a referral when it's time.
Thanks,
/Pete
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.