Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Things I should replace
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I know there are a million threads like this but I can't find any by searching, so I'll make my own.

Before I put the engine back in I'm wondering what I should replace, stuff that'll save me from pain down the road. I don't have the knowledge or skills to dig into anything deep and complicated, so any of that is off the list. slap.gif

So far I already have: Alternator belt, SS fuel lines from Chris
And plan on ordering: Thermostat cable, accelerator cable....

I know there must be more rolleyes.gif
What about CV joint gaskets, critical?

So, what else? My budget is pretty small, I can't afford to get into the "while I'm in there...." mindset laugh.gif

redshift
Yes! Please take your CVs off the axels, and wash them on a delicate setting, with a mild detergent.

smile.gif

M
Hammy
How many CV gaskets are there? PP says 4 per car but diagram only shows one per side...
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Hammy @ Apr 20 2006, 08:04 PM) *

How many CV gaskets are there? PP says 4 per car but diagram only shows one per side...

One gasket for each CV.

But since you're not removing the outer CV's located somewhat inside of your suspension trailing arms, you only need 2 for the inner CV's at the tranny.

Eric_Shea
Rubber brake hoses. You don't want to do this with the engine in the car.
Hammy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 20 2006, 06:40 PM) *

Rubber brake hoses. You don't want to do this with the engine in the car.

How hard is this to do (with engine out, of course)? Is it simple screw, unscrew or much more complicated ?
So.Cal.914

Sense you are asking I made it a point to replace the clutch cable, throw-out bearing and shift linkage bushings (especially at the firewall). Better now than later. Just my opinion. smoke.gif
Hammy
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 20 2006, 11:34 PM) *

Sense you are asking I made it a point to replace the clutch cable, throw-out bearing and shift linkage bushings (especially at the firewall). Better now than later. Just my opinion. smoke.gif

I was thinking shift bushings too...
It appears my rear ball cup bushing that goes in the shift rod head is all metal so I assume that one doesn't need replacing (?).
solex
The rear ball cup bushing is inside that metal piece and it is made of plastic (or some other soft material). If there is slop there I would replace it. Also the fire wall bushing for the shifter and if the shift coupler bushing are in bad shape you may want to replace them as well.

Pelican has a nice package deal for all fo the shift rod bushings.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.