Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing CV Joints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zeekman914
I'm getting rid of the 76 914 2.0 I bought and I'm going to get a white 72 1.7. The owner says that the car needs a CV. I looked for one a Mid Ameria Motorworks and Pelican Parts but they aren't available anymore. My question is how hard is it to replace a CV and where to get one.
Thanks,
Zach
newto914s
You can't buy the CVs alone anymore. Just in complete Axles which are $400+. Also to remove the CV from your axle you need a press. When one of my CVs crapped out I just bought a used axle($50, with two good CVs on it) And swaped it in, but I'm cheap.
Two hour job with an impact wrench for the Castle nut and a good CV bolt tool.
Samson
Allan
Replacing one is the easy part.

Finding a new one is the hard part.

Post a wtb ad in the classifieds and try to find a decent used one.

Or check er, uh ebay...

Which one? Inner or outer?
zeekman914
I'm not sure if its outer or inner, ill ask but thanks for the advice!
Tobra
Why is it you can't use a cv joint from a VW bus, I think they are still available
ThinAir
QUOTE(Tobra @ Apr 22 2006, 12:29 AM) *

Why is it you can't use a cv joint from a VW bus, I think they are still available

Do a search and you'll find stuff posted about how to do this. It is possible, but it takes some modification because the pins are different sizes. If I recall correctly it's just a matter of drilling out the hole a little bigger, but of course you need to be VERY precise - not a job for a hand-held drill.
Tobra
QUOTE(ThinAir914 @ Apr 22 2006, 12:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Tobra @ Apr 22 2006, 12:29 AM) *

Do a search and you'll find stuff posted about how to do this. It is possible, but it takes some modification because the pins are different sizes. If I recall correctly it's just a matter of drilling out the hole a little bigger, but of course you need to be VERY precise - not a job for a hand-held drill.

If a competent machine shop could do it, if it were a reasonable price that would be the way to go, how often do driveshafts fail?
736conver
I believe the VW ones also dont have the recess for the gasket. That also could be machined.
ThinAir
I could have sworn that there was a topic about drilling out the Bus CV joints so they could work, but a search only turned up these topics and they aren't what I remember (plus they seem to say that Bus CVs can't be made to work after all)
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...hl=bus+cv+joint
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...1&st=&p=&#entry
gklinger
Here's a CV joint thread that might help... confused24.gif Some of the links aren't good anymore, but I think this is the CV referred to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.