Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: naked 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davesprinkle
Howdy everyone.

First, a little background -- about 10 years ago, I yanked the running fuel-injected 1.8liter engine out of my 914 to address a leaking tranny seal that had oiled the clutch. I'm just now getting around to reassembly. Last week, I removed all the engine tin from the engine and hosed 89000 miles of accumulated oily grime off of the cylinders and oil cooler. The engine tin and fan housing are at the powdercoater right now. I hope to be able to dress the engine next week.

OK, getting to the point, what will I need to purchase to reassemble this thing? Here is my list -- please tell me what I'm missing:
1. injectors
2. injector tip seals
3. injector base seals
4. engine hose kit
5. intake runner seals
6. throttle body gasket
7. cold-start injector gasket
8. clutch friction plate
9. tranny input shaft seal
10. shift bushing kit (DWD)
11. CV gaskets
12. valve cover gaskets
13. What else? (This is where you chime in.)

Specifically, where do I get the foam gaskets that I found in seemingly random locations on the engine tin? What about the various engine-tin grommets, hardened after 30 years of heat-cycles and hydrocarbon exposure? And are replacement engine tin fasteners available? What are your thoughts about other seals? (For example, should I replace the oil cooler seals? They don't seem to be leaking, but I've got easy access right now...)

I'd like to place an order with some lucky vendor on Monday. Please help me spend my money!

Thanks for your input.
-dave sprinkle
bd1308
fridge with beverage of choice?
davesprinkle
Thanks for the suggestion, Britt. You fly, I'll buy.

QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 22 2006, 10:47 AM) *

fridge with beverage of choice?

jim_hoyland
Dave,

I'm doing the same thing. Your list is pretty similar to mine. You may have to make a cold start seal I don't think your gonna find them. I was thinking of removing mine permanently.

Going to the D & G ?
srb7f
For around $50, you can buy an entire gasket set which will have your oil cooler seals, pushrod tube seals (both ends), aluminum and copper washers for sealing bolts, valve cover gaskets, exhaust gaskets, etc. etc. I would recommend replacing everything that is easiliy accessible at this point in time for you... Much easier to prevent an oil leak now than to have one start leaking after you get everything back together, especially after you spent all the $ for powdercoating.

This is what I did a couple years ago, and it worked out nicely. The only things that it won't include that you will need are the CV gaskets, rear main crankshaft seal, and front main seal (which are easy to replace once you're this far and well worth it for their cost to frustration saved down the road ratio in my opinion).

I just removed a complete working L-jet off my 74 1.8 that I will be selling, so let me know if you are interested. (I just put a stock 2.0 with the D-jet in my car).

Steve

Pat Garvey
Cheesehead screws that hold the tin on should be readily available & the new ons will have the proper cad plating on them. Try Soddard for those (where I got mine). The foam is a little different. trying to stay original, I got a few pieces that were factory, & quite frankly, inferior. Since these are hidden from view by being compressed between pieces of tin I went to a hardware store & bought a couple of rolls of 3/8" dense black foam w/adhesive on one side. Worked fine & is completely hidden. I wouldn't recommend just skipping these pieces because the purpose is sealing AND the pieces of tin touching each other will move as you drive/heat them up. The movement will quickly remove your powdercoating & they'll begin to rust.

Good luck - get it back on the road!
jim_hoyland
Can we get some details about the foam; brand ? etc. I don't remenber seeing any in the hardware store. Which section ? What its intended use ?

shelby/914
confused24.gif I'm at the same spot. Picked up powdercoated tin yesterday. Going to hit all the local flaps tomorrow to look for the foam, so pleeeze save us some time and let us know where and what brand worked for you headbang.gif
jim_hoyland
In an unrelated project, I bought 18* x 42 sheet of black foam rubber in 1/4" and 1/2" at OSH Hardware. The thin stuff is reall easy to cut. I had used a 1/2" thick piece under the front of the engine hood in front of the grill/rain tray and under my spare tire.

I noticed that some of the tin I got has a sealent that looks like it came out of caulking gun. That may be an earier way--there are probably products for this purpose out there...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.