Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 6 speed tranny with a porsche 6 cyl engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dinobx
Anyone ever try converting the 1995-1996 year 6 speed porsche tranny's for mid engine use? For that matter, would it be easier if you were also installing the engine that was originally mated to that tranny, a 3.6?

Ideas, thoughts?

Dino
Jeroen
On the G50 (derived) gearboxes you can't flip the diff, so you'll have to mount the box upside down. Not really a problem, quite a few have done so...

But IIRC, the 6 speed gearboxes are too long to fit in a 914
LvSteveH
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 23 2006, 05:56 AM) *

On the G50 (derived) gearboxes you can't flip the diff, so you'll have to mount the box upside down. Not really a problem, quite a few have done so...

The 5 speed G50 is already pretty long, so the 6 would be pushing it. I read somewhere that the G50 was actually initially designed to run inverted in a race car prior to being flipped over for production use. Either way, they seem to be very happy in a mid engine application.
Dinobx
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Apr 23 2006, 08:57 AM) *

The 5 speed G50 is already pretty long, so the 6 would be pushing it. I read somewhere that the G50 was actually initially designed to run inverted in a race car prior to being flipped over for production use. Either way, they seem to be very happy in a mid engine application.

Yeah, my problem is that in looking to convert to a 3.6 engine, the gearing of the 901 just isn't right. Another option I'm looking at is changing all of the gears so that the ratios are better matched for a higher torque engine.

Dino
alpha434
Look up specs for the "Moby Dick" group 5 Martini car. They used a flipped trans to allow for MASSIVE wheels and a mid mounted engine in a 935 chassis. There were a few others in the same time period that did the same, but many of them turned out to have "diabloical" handling traits.

My idea: refab the rear suspension an elongate the body a little to accomodate the larger trans/engine combo. Best of luck.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dinobx @ Apr 23 2006, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Apr 23 2006, 08:57 AM) *

Yeah, my problem is that in looking to convert to a 3.6 engine, the gearing of the 901 just isn't right. Another option I'm looking at is changing all of the gears so that the ratios are better matched for a higher torque engine.

Dino

wasnt mid engine i dont think.....

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
rear engine jah!

IPB Image
Brando
Is that a wheelie bar? lol
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.