Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Solo914
Last night i pulled into a parking lot and the engine just died. I immediately tried to start it again and it did start but with in 3-5 seconds it sputtered and died. It acts like there is enough fuel when I start the car and then it runs out. I have had this happen on a couple occasions while periodically puting the car back together and it was usually fuel related. One time I had kinked a fuel hose and it acted the same way and the other time I had either forgot to hook the wire back up to the AFM or I had a hose that wasn't attached in the intake line before the AFM. I have checked my fuel lines and everything looks fine(even lifted the fuel tank to see is if there was a leak or if I had kinked a hose). I have also checked all of the intake hoses to make sure that all of those were attached. I have not had a chance to check the fuel pump and fuel pump wiring and will do that today.

Does this sounds familiar to anyone else?

Will the car start at all if the fuel pump is not working properly?

FYI- I have checked the fuel level and I am above a quarter tank and have visually seen that there is enough fuel.

The car is a Stock 914 1.8L with the standard L-jetronic fuel injection
Rand
How do the fuel filters look?

It wouldn't take long to pull an injector, stick it in a jar, and see if it squirts.
sportlicherFahrer
You might check and see if the little sock filter for the tank petcock is plugged up. In my '75 1.8 it was a little rusty. That would cause a fuel shortage. Also check all the contacts on the relay panel. Maybe the pump relay is a little corroded? Also switch them around. If you or Rand still cant find it, send me a PM. I can drive up and help if you like. I went through all kinds of fun with my old car.
Solo914
Update:
-Pulled the fuel filter and replaced(needed to be done anyway). Still did not stay running
-Plenty of fuel upto the fuel pump.
-Connections to the fuel pump are fine. Still did not stay running
-Cleaned up the connections to fuel pump relay and replaced a couple connections. Still did not stay running.
- Bypassed the fuel pump relay with a test wire on the plug(the plug was not attached at all to the realy). I could here the fuel pump running so I tried to start the car and it wouldn't start
- Then I connected the relay to the plug but bypassed the relay with a test wire from the rear of the plug. The car started and stayed running.
-Pulled the test wire and it died.

Now it could be the relay, correct? Could it be something else that relay controls besides the fuel pump?
Solo914
Just want to make sure its the relay because I don't want to spend $80 on a relay I don't need.
So.Cal.914

If you have a 914-er living close have them come by and put his in (or her's).

But it sure sounds like it is the relay. Send power to the relay and check if there

is continuity at the other pins. A V/O meter or continuity checker will do the job.

smoke.gif

Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Apr 26 2006, 06:45 PM) *

- Bypassed the fuel pump relay with a test wire on the plug...

Which relay? The 1.8 does not use the "fuel pump relay" on the relay board. It uses the "dual relay" that hangs off the battery tray.

If it was the "dual relay" you were bypassing, then it makes sense that nothing would happen with the relay unplugged. There are two relays in one housing there, which is why it's called "dual". Without the other relay being plugged in, the FI won't get powered, even though you can force the pump to run.

Does the pump run with the key on and you manually pushing the flap in the air flow meter open?

--DD
Solo914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 26 2006, 09:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Solo914 @ Apr 26 2006, 06:45 PM) *

- Bypassed the fuel pump relay with a test wire on the plug...

Which relay? The 1.8 does not use the "fuel pump relay" on the relay board. It uses the "dual relay" that hangs off the battery tray.

If it was the "dual relay" you were bypassing, then it makes sense that nothing would happen with the relay unplugged. There are two relays in one housing there, which is why it's called "dual". Without the other relay being plugged in, the FI won't get powered, even though you can force the pump to run.

Does the pump run with the key on and you manually pushing the flap in the air flow meter open?

--DD

I didn't even think of manually opening the AFM flapper to see if the fuel pump was working. I will try that tonight.

I was bypassing the dual relay below the battery. On the rear of black plug I jumped the constant wire to get the fuel pump running and then the car started.
Solo914
Is there a sure fire way to check the relay and make sure that it is a faulty relay???

sportlicherFahrer
You might try sending Troy(messix) a PM and see if he might help you out. He is up in Mill Creek and he has a '75 1.8 FI. Maybe see if he will let you borrow his FP relay for a few seconds to see if it works in yours? Not too sure of any one else in the immediate area that has a 1.8 with FI on it still.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.