Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What happened to the 914 that won Lemans?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hawktel
Well?
sixnotfour
Mike Hagen did some good trading for it , see more info here
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/sonauto_40_por...4_hours_le_mans
914forme
Won its class, not the race, it was overshadowed by a much bigger fish with 6 extra jugs, and way more HP.

Yes Hagen ownes it, lucky man. Thou when you think of the feat for the 914 to win its class, it kinda makes the the 917 look a little bad. But you will never here a Porsche owner of any other type tell you that.
Twystd1
I thought Brad had it..... For a while........

Twystd1
So.Cal.914
But didn't it win 6th over all? Out of all the cars on that track, I believe it

took 6th. That is fuching amazing. smoke.gif
Rockaria
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 28 2006, 12:58 AM) *

But didn't it win 6th over all? Out of all the cars on that track, I believe it

took 6th. That is fuching amazing. smoke.gif

Out of the 50 or so cars that started only 7 finished. "It was a rainy Le Mans that year" So 6th place is the next to last place finish... The important statistic was the fact the little 914 was only 61 laps down on the Panzer. and on the same lap as the 911 that came in 7th.

Just to brighten your day!
Joe Bob
"Placed" sixth....sixth wins nothing except a place in History....in this case it "survived"....
Eric_Shea
It 'won' the GT class.

Take a look at the GT cars of today. We all know Kevin and The Racers Group right confused24.gif Why? Mainly because he won the GT class at Le Mans.

If you were the driver and you won your class, I will 'guarantee' you that you'd be telling your friends and family for the rest of your life how you 'won' Le Mans.

A class win is a win. That's why the have 'classes'. wink.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Apr 28 2006, 07:35 AM) *

"Placed" sixth....sixth wins nothing except a place in History....in this case it "survived"....

I had always thought 24 hour endurance races were about "survival"? Perhaps outstanding nueteral handling had something to do with it avoiding accidents and its bullet proof engine allowed it to finnish.

I know I'm baised, but I still think that this was the 914's greatest racing accomplishment. Its sixth place overall and 1st in class wins a place in my heart as long as I drive a 914-6. smilie_pokal.gif
Gustl
but even if it was the next place to the last - about 43 cars (or so) didn't manage to finish the race cool.gif
so I'd say that's not so bad clap56.gif

it shows that our beloved teener is (at least it was rolleyes.gif ) a reliable racecar
Steve
Its sitting over at Hergesheimers in Lake Forest with a stuck rear caliper.
Joe Bob
I'm not belittling the accompishment. Just making a comment on survival versus winning.

24 hour races are just that.....You can win by getting out front by beating the crap out of the car and then coasting hoping that everyone else breaks or lurking in the rear waiting for the front runners to break.

Good brakes, good suspension, solid drive train will always win out in the end....if the end is far enuff away....

Winning the class sounds good.....being sixth of seven that finished not as good.....but both descriptions are accurate.
Gustl
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 28 2006, 05:43 PM) *

I know I'm baised, but I still think that this was the 914's greatest racing accomplishment. Its sixth place overall and 1st in class wins a place in my heart as long as I drive a 914-6. smilie_pokal.gif

well, in my opinion the 1-2-3 at the Marathon de la Route 1970 was the absolute highlight in the racing careere of the teeners
I mean, it was a 86 hrs race at the most difficult track in the world (Nurburgring)
that's 3.5 times LeMans ...

grantsfo
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 28 2006, 08:49 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 28 2006, 05:43 PM) *

well, in my opinion the 1-2-3 at the Marathon de la Route 1970 was the absolute highlight in the racing careere of the teeners
I mean, it was a 86 hrs race at the most difficult track in the world (Nurburgring)
that's 3.5 times LeMans ...

Never heard of it. Any on line sites that give history of this race?
Gustl
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 28 2006, 05:57 PM) *

blink.gif are you kidding ??????

1.) watch Glenn Stazak's pages

2. watch the overall results

3. see the victory celebration poster:

Gustl
here are the 3 cars

914.0.43.2541 - Lic: S - W 1947 - bumper black / yellow
914.0.43.2542 - Lic: S - W 1948 - bumper black / red
914.0.43.2543 - Lic: S - W 1949 - bumper black / green

grantsfo
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 28 2006, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 28 2006, 05:57 PM) *

blink.gif are you kidding ??????

1.) watch Glenn Stazak's pages

2. watch the overall results

3. see the victory celebration poster:

Nope. Never heard of this event and never realized 914-6 GTs did 123 sweep.
Gustl
and here's the famous shot at the finish line

Eric_Shea

I can help with that... wink.gif We've already restored two sets of original GT calipers.
So.Cal.914

Out of the 50 or so cars that started only 7 finished. "It was a rainy Le Mans that year" So 6th place is the next to last place finish... The important statistic was the fact the little 914 was only 61 laps down on the Panzer. and on the same lap as the 911 that came in 7th.

[/quote]

Out of 50 cars only 7 finished and a 914/6 came in 6th ahead of a 911, that is 43 cars that did not finish. You are kinda hard to please arn't you. smoke.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 28 2006, 09:38 AM) *

I can help with that... wink.gif We've already restored two sets of original GT calipers.

It might be fixed by now. I think its just sitting there in storage.
I had Hergesheimers install the M030 kit on my 993 six months ago.
I would just sit and stare at the 914-6GT and try not to druel on it.

Even though I would rather build my own with a 3.6 and modern tires.
A real GT is over rated and belongs in a museum or historic track races.
Old technology brakes and tires and only has a 2.0 liter with 220 HP.

A 3.6 with a Wevo 916 trans and brembo calipers would do circles around it.

URY914
In 1980 a 914-6 GTU car finished 5th overall and 1st in class at the Daytona 24 hours. Driven by Bill Koll and Jim Cook.

(I was there biggrin.gif )

This a picture of the car but this was taken at Riverside.
racergreg
Regarding the Le Mans winner -

Anyone notice there's no cage in that car?! ohmy.gif
914forme
They convinced the sanctioning body that the traga bar = roll bar, and then they bolted the top down and reinforced the A pillars.

Safe probally not, but it did save a few pounds of the GT.
Mr.C
Can anybody tell me what cars were in the same class as the 914?
URY914
QUOTE(Mr.C @ Apr 28 2006, 03:34 PM) *

Can anybody tell me what cars were in the same class as the 914?

Mostly 911's laugh.gif
iamchappy
Everyone seems to forget about the 1971 IMSA GT Champion
*1971 Porsche 914/6 GT (Brumos overall IMSA Camel GT championship.
Here the 914 took on the Vettes, Camero's, Mustangs, Javelin's, Bmw, Datsun and 911's.

http://www.wspr-racing.com/wspr/results/imsa/imsa1971.html

The 1971 season was the first racing season to feature six races. GT cars, similar to the European classes Group 4 and Group 2, were competing in the early seasons and were divided into four groups: GTO, GTU, TO and TU. The first champions were Peter H. Gregg and Hurley Haywood, in a Porsche 914/6 GTU. Usual winners in these early years of IMSA were the Porsche 911 Carrera RSR and Chevrolet Corvette. Camel, for the following year, would step in as the title sponsor, therefore the series became known as Camel GT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.