Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where does this wire go
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
The PO had the light switch hanging out on my new 71 914, and the wire on the right in the photo was off. I plugged it back in, and it appears to be for the interior lights. It appears that another wire was coming off the same spade terminal, but has been stripped / cut off. Any idea where it should go?

IPB Image
terrymason
I'm revisiting this problem - as it turns out I have real lighting issues. I only have parking lights, and the driver side low beam (no pass side headlights at all, and no driver high beam - I've swapped a new bulb into both sides with no change).

I've been unable to find information telling me what terminal does what as far as the light switch goes.

In addition to the parking lights, should the left most 3 fuses be empty?

Thanks guys!
grasshopper
ummm..no, all the fuse holders should have a fuse in them
jd74914
I'm not sure that that is exactly true. Everything on my car works and I have the last one or two fuses off.

Here's the wiring diagrams you should look at to trace your problems back.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

PS Make sure your body ground under the relay tray in the engine bay is ok.

Damn, I'm dumb. I was thinking you wrote right-most fuses. huh.gif
lapuwali
The missing fuses are why you have no lights. The first four fuses control each headlight (left and right), and high and low beams. The white wires are high beams, the yellow wires are low beams.

The fuses may be missing because they kept blowing, because the light switch is dangling from its wires rather than mounted, and not all of the wires are in place.

If you do a search, there's a photo of the headlight switch with all of the terminls clearly numbered. Match those numbers up with the small numbers on the wiring diagram to get the appropriate color of wire that supposed to go on each terminal (it's not the same for all years).

terrymason
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 27 2006, 07:39 PM) *

The missing fuses are why you have no lights. The first four fuses control each headlight (left and right), and high and low beams. The white wires are high beams, the yellow wires are low beams.

The fuses may be missing because they kept blowing, because the light switch is dangling from its wires rather than mounted, and not all of the wires are in place.

If you do a search, there's a photo of the headlight switch with all of the terminls clearly numbered. Match those numbers up with the small numbers on the wiring diagram to get the appropriate color of wire that supposed to go on each terminal (it's not the same for all years).

Thank you very much! I replaced the fuses, and now have everything except for driver high beam - I should be able to trace that down.

FYI - the thread with the switch labels seems to be missing some of it's photos (I needed a shot of the early switch):
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...eadlight+switch
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.