Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting comparisons
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
A stock 914 rear caliper and a vented -6 caliper. Click to view attachment
Brian Mifsud
aside from the difference in shinyness, isn't the only difference the 1/4" spacer sitting between the halves?
newto914s
Good eye Brian,
if that's true, would it be possible to machine a spacer to mod stock brakes to fit vented rotors?
Brando
I believe someone offers that kit already here on the club board.

Only issue I can imagine is the little rubber seals (o-rings?) that are NLA.
McMark
The pistons on the six caliper are MUCH larger.

But yes you can put spacers into a four calipers.

Search, my friend. Discussed a lot already, it has been. yoda.gif
John
The pad size on the /6 caliper is larger as well. I believe it is the same size as a 914-4 front pad. (same size as a 911 SC rear pad)

Spacing out the 4-cyl rear calipers doesn't give that good of results.

To use vented rotors with spaced out 4-cyl calipers, the rotors must be turned down approx 4mm in diameter to even fit. Then, you are still stuck with the small pistons and pads from the 4-cyl calipers. Then you must find 7mm hardware long enough for the spaced calipers. You must also find/fabricate pins long enough and last but not least, you have to make/adapt spreader springs for the spaced 4-cyl calipers.

From what I understand, the spacers from 911 rear calipers and all the 911 rear caliper hardware will swap directly into the 914/6 calipers. However, I have noticed that 914/6 rear caliper rebuild kits are listed as being NLA at several parts houses.

The advantage is that you probably already have them and that you can keep the stock e-brake.

You could adapt 911 e-brakes and use 911 rear calipers. (which is what I decided to do)

just my $0.02
davep
QUOTE(Brian Mifsud @ Apr 29 2006, 08:30 PM) *

aside from the difference in shinyness, isn't the only difference the 1/4" spacer sitting between the halves?

You should be able to see that the 914/6 caliper is much wider than the 914/4 caliper. Bigger pistons, bigger pads, different everything. BTW, the spacer should be 10mm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.