Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Handling quirk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
SO I did a string alignment the other day. Needed to take out some camber to make better use of my SLICKS. Anyway I was playing around inthe high school parking lot yesterday sorta shaking the bugs out of new brakes and such.

The car seems to turn quicker and easier to the right vs the left.
Camber is -1 degree on all 4 corners and toe is near zerofront and very slight toe in at the rear. CAR DRIVES STRAIGHT down the road.
just when doing a slalom type manuever it seems to be quicker to the right. air pressure is the same both side shocks are the same both sides.

Kinda screwy confused24.gif
Van914
Can you say corner weights? Might be the problem or the sway bar needs adjusted for preload.
My guess,
van914
URY914
Body flex? (the car not yours)

Those slicks are transfering more load than ever into that 30 year old car.
J P Stein
Check your rear toe thrust angle .
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 1 2006, 08:15 AM) *

OK JP ya got me there. How do I do that?
Might be something to check with the sway bar pre load. How do I do that? do I need the wheelson the ground. How the hell do you get up in there.

No slicks Paul, them only come out for race day. Car does it on regular streets too.

Ahhh the fine art of suspension tuning. Well I am getting close enough to be able to tell the difference from one day to the next. Car is getting pretty nuetral and I was having one hell of a good time burning through a old set of Hoosiers. Yes you can get them all the way down to cords. with no grooves left. happy11.gif

OK so I did some reading.... Seems everything points to wierd things like this could be a result of crooked car.

Well yea that could be as there is evidence of a drivers side front repair sometime in the past.
Hmm good thing I got the stripper waiting off in the wings.
URY914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 1 2006, 05:15 AM) *

Also, check the angle of your dangle. happy11.gif
ConeDodger
w00t.gif As long as the subject has already been brought up... A lame excuse for a hijack but I was going to post this in my own thread.
I just finished putting Koni Yellow Sports all the way around, Turbo Tie Rod Ends, Rack Spacers, 140 Weltmiester Springs in the rear on my car. The car is a 73 look 75 2.0 liter. It has sway bars front and rear of the factory flavor. My new Yoko A032R S Compound tires went on Saturday. I am about to take it to IPB for an alignment, and possibly corner weighting and such. Now for the questions...

For autocross what settings do you guys shoot for?

I always try to get as much negative camber as I can but what about the tow and caster on the 914?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Van914 @ May 1 2006, 05:34 AM) *

Can you say corner weights?

agree.gif and what a difference that made ...

i had the same thing, right turns OK, left turns understeer and trouble turning in.
one corner balance later and all is gud now ...
smile.gif Andy
Joseph Mills

Corner Balance. yellowsleep[1].gif

But since rear toe is set independently of wheels and to the car chassis centerline, it might be worth checking.

Is that what JP said? biggrin.gif

Joe Ricard
Sumpin about angle of sumpin.
and Paul the perv wants to know how it's hangin.

I've been holding off of corner balance becuse I am not done cutting off crap that is not needed.
jhadler
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 1 2006, 07:15 AM) *

For autocross what settings do you guys shoot for?

I always try to get as much negative camber as I can but what about the tow and caster on the 914?

All the caster you can get up front. Typically, a good autox alignment (on DOT tires), will need a little toe out in front, a little toe in at the rear. And roughly 1.5-2 degrees negative camber front and rear. I'm giving you generalities because all cars are different, and all driving styles will need different setups. But these are good starting places. The stiffer the suspension, and the wider the wheels, generally the less static negative camber you'll need.

-Josh2
jhadler
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 1 2006, 08:54 AM) *

Sumpin about angle of sumpin.
and Paul the perv wants to know how it's hangin.

I've been holding off of corner balance becuse I am not done cutting off crap that is not needed.

Thrust angle is possible, it's the difference between the direction the front wheels are pointing and the direction the rear wheels are poninting. Typically, a car with a thrust angle issue looks like it's crab walking, with the rear end always hanging off to one side or the other.

But I'd say it sounds like a cornerweight issue there Joe. Especially if it's consistent reagardless of tires. Also check for sway bar prelaod as well. But corner weights are good place to start. Check the bushings too, if there's a blown bushing, that can create dynamic toe and camber changes that'll really be fun...

-Josh2
messix
you chassis is weight biased to the left, i surmize that there is a postierer containing an abundance on dense mass in the form of lead, this would seem to be from you desription to be about in the center of the polar rotational moment of the chassis, most likely low in the roll center.

it's the lead ass in the drivers seat!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 1 2006, 08:15 AM) *

I always try to get as much negative camber as I can

that entirely depends on your tires ...

the goodyear schlicks don't like anything over -1. if you go further than that, they will stick much less and wear uneven real fast ...

the difference in grip is very noticeable from -2 (so so stick) to -.05 (holy shit stick)
smile.gif Andy
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(messix @ May 1 2006, 12:30 PM) *

you chassis is weight biased to the left, i surmize that there is a postierer containing an abundance on dense mass in the form of lead, this would seem to be from you desription to be about in the center of the polar rotational moment of the chassis, most likely low in the roll center.

finger.gif
Hardly @ 160 pounds with shoes shirt shorts and needing to take a dump.

I'll look at the other things suggested. beer.gif
You guys crack me up.

it's the lead ass in the drivers seat!

Brando
Joe, are you left-handed or right-handed? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.