Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front & rear valence & rocker panel finish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
1970 Neun vierzehn
I've got the original f & r valence panels for my '70/4 and need to get l&r rocker panels. The finish on these panels is smooth, but the color has faded and dulled to a flat shade of dark grey. I don't recall how a 1970 model 914 front, side, and rear valence panels were finished. Black? Gloss(I doubt it)? Semi-gloss? Satin? Flat(I doubt that too)?

Since I'm replacing the side panels(I put on f/g panels on in '78-who knew confused24.gif ), where do I find metal ones that will really fit?

Finally on the side rocker panel fitment, I remember that they were originally pop-riveted on. But what color were the rivets? I remember them being white, but can't be sure. Any '70 models with original panels still on, out there in the Forum?
Jasfsmith
Panles and the aluminum threshold were attatched with a creamy white pop revit. Finish is satin black. Wurth has an excellent matching paint available.

sixerdon
Let's define this a little more. The alum threshold and rocker cover were fastened with an off white plastic push pin rivet (NLA) from '70 until the black plastic thresholds were introduced in '73. From then until end of production it was a black plastic push pin rivet (NLA). All that is available now has been a clear plastic push pin rivet that will need to be painted to match the threshold.

Hope that answers your question.

Don
Pat Garvey
Actually, at least with the early models, the front & rear valences were textured satin black. I was told many years ago by a Porsche technician that it was a 2-step process. They basecoat was a product called Body Shutz (3M I think). The finish coat was satin black (don't remeber if it was Wurth or Glasurit). Body Shutz goes on with a special spray gun at low pressure & allowed to dry before finish coat.

Body Shutz is available in spray cans, but I don't recommend it for this use because it comes out at too much pressure & can leave a stippled appearance - buy the gun, it's inexpensive & the result looks original. I found out the hard way & had to redo at all.

Nice thing about Body Shutz is that it's rubberized & will take a pounding from stones. Quite frankly, it wouldn't be a bad product to basecoat the rockers with, but that wouldn't be original.

Pop rivets were transluscent white & NLA. You'll have to get creative. I have been able to find black plastic & they work just as well, but don't think they'd hold white paint very well.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Pat,
The front and rear valence panels (OEM-circa 1970) are not textured. They are smooth. They are dull, flat, dark grey. I have never waxed them or refinished them. What I don't remember is what color and finish (I'm guessing "satin" or semi-gloss) they left the factory with.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 2 2006, 07:12 AM) *

Pat,
The front and rear valence panels (OEM-circa 1970) are not textured. They are smooth. They are dull, flat, dark grey. I have never waxed them or refinished them. What I don't remember is what color and finish (I'm guessing "satin" or semi-gloss) they left the factory with.

idea.gif

OK Paul, let's check with the group on this. You 914 is a fairly early production model (~3000 if I recall). Could it be that this WAS they way they came then? I based my response on what was told me by one of the parts managers from the old Porsche-Audi group in Columbus many years ago. He stated that they were "shutzed" prior to painting. Also, though it isn't 100% correct in all instances, Brett Johnson's book cites a "textured finish" on the valences.

So, who out there has factory original valences on an early production 914 and the same for a '72? If I was given misinformation it means I have to strip & refinish mine!
TJB/914
I vote with Pat on Body Shultz then Satin Black.

Every original 914 I looked at had this finish. Lets hear from others (Jeff & Steve & ?).

Tom
TJB/914
Dug up a picture what I think the finish should look like.

body shultz & satin black.

tom
1970 Neun vierzehn
Tom,
The finish is very apparant in that pic. Thanks. From what year car is that panel taken and is that a factory application?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 2 2006, 08:53 AM) *

Tom,
The finish is very apparant in that pic. Thanks. From what year car is that panel taken and is that a factory application?

I've known this car for a long time (~75) & it is a pretty original car. I know Paul too, but that's a different story. The problem I'm having here is that I am convinced his valences are original to the car & seriously doubt the former owner took the effort to have them re-finished, since it was still a very new 914 at the time. If there had been damage to them, what's the likelihood that BOTH would be damaged or replaced?

I suspect that since his is an early car, they probably came without a textured finish. Remember how many variations there were to the appearance group on the early cars? He can go either rout - 2 stage, or single stage, and get away with whatever choice he makes. I would reiterate that the "shutz" method does offer better protection from nicks.

In the early years, some details on these beasts seemd to evolve/morph on a monthly basis. Apparently, Karmann was not a state-of-the-art production/inventory control operation - or did the VW & Porsche people get in the way?
Jasfsmith
To add to the confision.

My '70 914-4 had the "shutz" on front and rear valances, AND the rocker panels.

My '70 914-6 (April birth date) had the satin black finish on all the panels.
914runnow
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 2 2006, 08:41 AM) *

Dug up a picture what I think the finish should look like.

body shultz & satin black.

tom

I love this QnA on these topics!!!!
ANYWAY>>>Having seen three unmolested groups of
outer rockers/f-r valences... early 73 24k...73 46k....75 74k...
The pic is correct for what would be 72 and on up,
with my info.......I say 72 as I have ripped those apart and had seen the same...
Now for the 'Gipper'!!!!
I have an original one hole rear valence..UNTOUCHED!!! But bent a bit..
Anyway>>> It has GREY primer color on the inside and black texture on the outside......So if that helps..Can't dispute the evidence....
OKAY now for the 'doityuhrselfer'......
Tremco #1273 Bumper and trimcoat..Like the Porsche Color..Satin Black..
use on outer rockers and f/r valences...
Tremco#4313 Tex Coat chip guard black..like the body shutz..
It comes from most of your auto body paint stores...in spray cans..

Lou W
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ May 2 2006, 07:28 AM) *

Actually, at least with the early models, the front & rear valences were textured satin black. I was told many years ago by a Porsche technician that it was a 2-step process. They basecoat was a product called Body Shutz (3M I think). The finish coat was satin black (don't remeber if it was Wurth or Glasurit). Body Shutz goes on with a special spray gun at low pressure & allowed to dry before finish coat.

Body Shutz is available in spray cans, but I don't recommend it for this use because it comes out at too much pressure & can leave a stippled appearance - buy the gun, it's inexpensive & the result looks original. I found out the hard way & had to redo at all.

Nice thing about Body Shutz is that it's rubberized & will take a pounding from stones. Quite frankly, it wouldn't be a bad product to basecoat the rockers with, but that wouldn't be original.

Pop rivets were transluscent white & NLA. You'll have to get creative. I have been able to find black plastic & they work just as well, but don't think they'd hold white paint very well.

Here is a picture of the gun and a container of 3M Body Schutz;
1970 Neun vierzehn
Late last night, I went down in the basement to where I have my f & r valences stored. Afer wiping off dust and spiderwebs, close inspection revealed that the front valence had a smooth finish, except for approximately 1 1/2 " on the very bottom, on about 1/4 of the panel. (Fritz in Osnabruck sez "ACHH, der shpritzen schprayern on der fritzen") wacko.gif It's as if the factory applicator broke, they ran out of product, or they lost interest! This front panel is original to the car, built 01/1970. The rear panel, which was given to me by a friend, is an early "full" panel w/hole. It is not original to the car. After cleaning it up a bit, JAH! There IS a light textured finish to it. All this discussion leads me to believe that for really early production examples, the smooth finish is correct although texturing the finish would not ruin its presentation, while affording some abrasion resistance to very susceptible areas.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 1 2006, 11:00 AM) *

I've got the original f & r valence panels for my '70/4 and need to get l&r rocker panels. The finish on these panels is smooth, but the color has faded and dulled to a flat shade of dark grey. I don't recall how a 1970 model 914 front, side, and rear valence panels were finished. Black? Gloss(I doubt it)? Semi-gloss? Satin? Flat(I doubt that too)?

Since I'm replacing the side panels(I put on f/g panels on in '78-who knew confused24.gif ), where do I find metal ones that will really fit?

Finally on the side rocker panel fitment, I remember that they were originally pop-riveted on. But what color were the rivets? I remember them being white, but can't be sure. Any '70 models with original panels still on, out there in the Forum?

Hey Paul,

Was looking over some old posts & came back to this. Just wondering - what rivets are the using/used on your resto panels?

I have some extra whites somewhere around here if you still need something. These are non-original, though I dare anyone to tell the diff. Remeber Tod914? He sourced the things & may even have some left - cheap too.

Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.