Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical Gremlins of All Kinds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wertygrog
Hello everyone,
I've recently received my 74 2.0 914, and it runs smashingly (sounds like a deisel and rumbles like a v8 IMO), but there are some electrical and other issues with it. First of all, when the directionals are toggled, both directional indicator arrows on the tach blink, not just one.........any ideas?

Also, the fuel gauge flicks up when the car is on, but read 1/8th when 5 gallons were added......is it reading low or is the tank really only 1/8th full? dry.gif

I think my muffler is a bursch, but can I get a confirmation? clap56.gif

As you will see the voltage regulator is not located on the relay board, but about a foot aft of it.....what's up with that?

The facet fuel pump just keeps running and running. I tried the trick in the classic message forum with grounding one of the FI spade connectors on the relay board, but no joy. blink.gif

Also the heater hose was disconnected. Does it just attached to that blower motor?

The oil temp guage on the center console twitches when I turn the car on, but doesn't seem to work. In the pic below with the wires, there is a wire w/ spade connector that isn't attached to anything (FI remnant?) and there was a green wire with a spade connector that looked like a signal wire, which I attached to a little spade on a pluggish unit near the center of the engine.....is this the oil temp sender, and was that the oil temp wire? Kinda hard to see in the pic.

FINALLY, I'm installing the Camp 914 euro light kit (see pic), but I'd like to see a pic of someone's installation of the bulb/white plastic peice. Also, when should the park light be on?

Sorry for the massive post, but I'm just starting to really dig into my lovely 914, and I don't know much about the electrical system---learning though!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks a bunch,
Brent

wertygrog
And the rest! Sorry dialup folks! piratenanner.gif

first is the ?oil temp sender?
next is the euro lense setup!
Finally the heater hose shenanigans!
Mueller
blinkers= possible bad relay or incorrect unit installed (I tried a GM/Universal relay with 4 pins and it acted the same way)

DNHunt
My 74 used to blink both blinkers. I had to rewire to get them to blink separately. It's been a while but I think my old 74 Super Beetle did too.

that looks like a Bursh. You will make JP happy. he always likes to say my engine sounds like a tractor. If I didn't love the way 6's sound I'd dis his car too.

Dave
lapuwali
Both blinker lights flash on many 914s. It's a VW thing.

The oil temp sender is on the bottom of the engine, driver's side, forward, in a round plate (the taco plate). The pictured sender on the top of the engine, passenger side, forward, is the oil pressure switch (hooked up to the green light in the leftmost gauge).

The VR shows major hackage, and I can't think why they did that.

The fuel level sender often gets crudded up and sticks. You have to remove it and disassemble it to clean it, or just buy a new one.

Sounds like the Facet pump is just connected to the ignition, and should run all the time when it's wired that way. Make sure it has a fuse, at least, and a relay isn't a bad idea.
So.Cal.914
On the blinkers , I had a simular event, try cleaning your fuse block. I had a

number drum (used by electricans to ID individual wires)put one number on each

wire and than drew the fuse block on a piece of paper. Put the numbers on it as I

assigned the wires with a number.

All sorts of minor problems all of the sudden were not a problem any longer.

smoke.gif
rhodyguy
binkers-they're fine.

facet pump- where are you powering it from? you need to use the stock pump harness for andy's trick to work. it should work (does on mine. carbs and a rotary(quiet)).

are those camp euro blinkers? i thought the white portion went verticle.

what the heck are all those yellow wires? since you are carburated, the harness gets pretty simple. hopefully the po didn't tear into the main harness too much.

k
wertygrog
Yes, those are camp euro blinkers, half installed. I just kinda stuck the white thing in there, I kinda need a pic to figure out how to install it correctly.

Which yellow wires do you mean, the ones coming off the relay board? I'll find a pic of a correct relay board to compare...

I'm afraid I don't know when the parking lights are supposed to be on or off.....can anyone clue me in? smile.gif

brent
rhodyguy
the marker lights should be on when the light switch is pulled to the first position and when the headlights are fully on. is your fuel pump in the front of your car? if you have a good relay board with the regulator on it, i'd swap it out and loose that wire mess.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.