Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine drop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rcrgrl
Hi all. So I'm (trying to) drop my engine and it has a tail shifter tranny. My problem is I can't get it disconnected at the front of the linkage. Everything i've seen is for a sideshifter, and it looks different than this. 'Course that could be me! i think i need to loosen the big bolt - pivot bolt right? but it is not moving....am i doing the right thing? appreciate your help & patience as this is my first major 914 surgery!! headbang.gif
Click to view attachment
RG
lotus_65
anyone?

usually, there's a quicker response. most everyone must be watching the NHL playoffs on OLN or something! lol
bd1308
woah...that tail shifter is a wierd looking animal. Good luck!

I have a sideshifter, so unfortunately I cannot help you.

It is nice to see more ladies getting involved in cars though

my gf really wants me to teach her how to do basic maintence on her car, so its only a matter of time until she gets a 914 too smile.gif

b
G e o r g e
EDIT:

i went and dug through my stash and found the shifter bar, you do unscrew the bolt that you thought. take it all the way out or loose, then pull it off linkage coming from cab.
rcrgrl
Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. Guess its time for a bigger wrench, cause that baby ain't moving!
obscurity
Yep thats how you do it. I ran into the same problem last weekend. Throught I was going crazy looking at the pictures on pelicans site and then at my situation and nothing matched. It took some doing but the bolt eventually turned and the engine came out without much more problem

Good Luck
JoeSharp
Race: You are going in the right derection. It all breakes down. You don't want the tail shifter parts anyway, so it dosen't matter how they come out. Just make sure you don't screw up the mounting place for the sideshifter stuff. If you mess something up I have a replacement for it that you can have, just cause you are trying to get r done. Thomas has done a few conversions to sideshift and we can help with ever knowlage and parts that you need.
Thanks for posting here.
You have PM.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
JoeSharp
I have this wounderful jack and it will save you more time than it takse to come up here and borrow it.
rcrgrl
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ May 1 2006, 09:51 PM) *

I have this wounderful jack and it will save you more time than it takse to come up here and borrow it.

Hey Joe thanks! by the time i get ready i may be just frustrated enough to take you up on that! um but that's the "fun" of it right?
dlo914
we should caravan down to San Diego in a few 914's and help her out..afterwards we could hit up Tiajuana and pound some TeKILLya smile.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(maddeye @ May 1 2006, 07:53 PM) *

EDIT:

i went and dug through my stash and found the shifter bar, you do unscrew the bolt that you thought. take it all the way out or loose, then pull it off linkage coming from cab.

I have done this to many times. Yes he is correct but you will need to remove that

bolt all the way and slip it into the shift bar so it is out of the way. the rest is easy.

Note: Remember lefty loosey - righty tighty. Counter clock-wise on that bolt. Use a long open end wrench

and tap it at the bottem with a rubber mallet.

smoke.gif
rcrgrl
hey i got the pivot bolt out - bigger wrench never fails! but now.... this is the the engine mount - any suggestions how to get it open enough to get the allen in there? i was thinking dremmel tool, or a hammer?
Click to view attachment
G e o r g e
aren't you going back with side shifter? if so use a grinder to open up the passage way. if not do it any ways, i have a tailshift bar you can have.

george

QUOTE(rcrgrl @ May 3 2006, 07:08 PM) *

hey i got the pivot bolt out - bigger wrench never fails! but now.... this is the the engine mount - any suggestions how to get it open enough to get the allen in there? i was thinking dremmel tool, or a hammer?
Click to view attachment

rcrgrl
QUOTE(maddeye @ May 3 2006, 07:16 PM) *

aren't you going back with side shifter? if so use a grinder to open up the passage way. if not do it any ways, i have a tailshift bar you can have.

George

thanks for the offer, yes i'm going back to the side shifter...but i think i did a bad job explaining - this is the engine mount bar that's tweaked - thats different right? a grinder still may be the way to go, cause i'm putting this in the other car so i can use that bar right?
G e o r g e
QUOTE(rcrgrl @ May 3 2006, 09:25 PM) *

QUOTE(maddeye @ May 3 2006, 07:16 PM) *

George

thanks for the offer, yes i'm going back to the side shifter...but i think i did a bad job explaining - this is the engine mount bar that's tweaked - thats different right? a grinder still may be the way to go, cause i'm putting this in the other car so i can use that bar right?

i guess i don't know exactly what your doing, but i believe your changing this engine/trans to side shifter, therefore it takes a differant engine mounting bar. meaning you can destroy that one. if your planning on putting the tail shifter in another car then you will still need that bar. either way if you destroy it and still need one i have 1.
rcrgrl
ooohh, duh i get it now.
So.Cal.914
Put a carbide tip in a dremel and just open up the hole again. No need to grind it until it's junk. smoke.gif
rhodyguy
looks like you are fighting a bunch of rusty fasteners. get some pb blaster and spray the stuff down. it will make the job much easier.

k
fitsbain
I had to cut the engin mount bolt on mine as it was rusted solid. Took forever with just a bare hack saw blade but it's out now.
JoeSharp
Hey Race: agree.gif Last time I went to PEP Boys I spent $80 on spray cans. Parts cleaner, electrical contact cleaner, PB blaster and the list goes on. All that stuff makes your day working on the cars go much better.
Spray PB on the exaust studs now, long before you try to brake them lose.
Its good to see you posting here, even Dave Darling had a question last night. This board takes you for the person you are and thanks you for the love you have for these cars. Your going to be a big hit here.
Race Races a 57 Corvett.
rcrgrl
Joe
Thats supposed to me dirty little secret! happy11.gif I'm hoping you guys will let me come visit the club corrall at Portland, even if I don't have my teener there...

Yes, yes, lots of PB - lots of parts cleaner - this is what i get for picking up a car thats been sitting in the desert for 7 years. yea, i'll just grab some parts off of it... won'be in the yard long - NOT

SLITS
QUOTE(rcrgrl @ May 4 2006, 08:51 AM) *

Joe
Thats supposed to me dirty little secret! happy11.gif I'm hoping you guys will let me come visit the club corrall at Portland, even if I don't have my teener there...

Yes, yes, lots of PB - lots of parts cleaner - this is what i get for picking up a car thats been sitting in the desert for 7 years. yea, i'll just grab some parts off of it... won'be in the yard long - NOT

OH NO.......not another #114 story... ohmy.gif busted_cop.gif new_shocked.gif
rcrgrl
Just couldn't help myself. Had to update you all - I got it out of the car
Finally! mueba.gif

Click to view attachment

Thanks again all of you for your help on this. I'm sure I'll be hanging around to harrass you lots more
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.