Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type-I in teener?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Air_Cooled_Nut
Thank you Paul for accuratly explaining things. Note that the T1 case can come in a beefier aluminum version (we use them for built-up T3 engines) and there are quality cranks out there. Just cuz it's small doesn't mean it's inferior.

T1 engines are toys? Whatever... rolleyes.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 3 2006, 09:16 AM) *

Could you please explain that first 90 degree turn to get to the exhaust valve?

OK, but as you can see from Paul's description above, it's not that relevant to the actual flow of things. (I didn't have time to get into that when I posted earlier...)

Note that the valves on the VW air-cooled motors are side by side. If you check the #1 (left-front in a 914) cylinder, the intake valve is toward the rear of the car and the exhaust valve is toward the front. The air comes in through the intake port in a close to vertical direction (vertical and pointing inward some). The exhaust valve, however, is aft of the intake valve. So the flow would have to take a step to the side to get out of it.

But again--that's not relevant to the real flow through the head. It would be nice if we had valves that "faced" each other more, and flow paths that also "faced" each other--but I believe that's mostly so the incoming air charge can help cool the hot exhaust valve. (Look up "cross-flow head" for more info on that.) But that's not what we have, and that's not what we're gonna get. So it's not really relevant either...

--DD
Jake Raby
Note that the T1 case can come in a beefier aluminum version

And they are pure sandcast JUNK!

when they came out is when i totally gave up on the Type 1-
blitZ
I don't get the thought of even considering this conversion. The TIV is the big block of the 4 cylinder air cools. Next, you'll want to stick a 283 in a Chevelle SS454.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.