Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rust-O-ration thread (AKA 'Help Britt and get free food' extra
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bd1308
So what exactly is involved in this...I know i know, If i'm asking I shouldn't do it, but as is I probably have maybe two more years left if i'm spectacularly lucky.

Honestly I just dont want to screw it up.

Grasshopper is supposed to come down to help me out on May something, but I dont have most of what I need.

I will have steaks and food and fun and the parents can put some beer out for the people who come to help me out with my rust.

Is this just a matter of getting everything straight and welding the appropiate parts, or does it get more complicated than that?

I know i'm oversimplifying everything but I just want to make sure I get the simple stuff down,a nd then I can branch out after that.

I'm kinda embarassed to get pictures of the carnage, but I can't see the ground from looking into the hellhole, and my suspension ears appear to be in complete condition. Also, my suspension console seems to be in functional and decent condition...

I'll get some pics on thursday...I have two REAL big exams this week.

Most of what I would need is available through restoration designs correct? I want to get the Brad Mayeur long clamshells and maybe a Engman kit if I can get the carpet off the inside of the car.

Honestly this should all have been done a long time ago, but now that I have to deal with it, I'd like to get it fixed right.

bd1308
that title is supposed to be extravaganza.
Allan
locust.gif
grasshopper
is that supposed to mean something?? dry.gif Beer you say?? drunk.gif It all depends on how much rust there is. If you car is flexing, then you need braces to assure perfect dimensions, but if it isn't that bad, then you should be good just patching the rust. lots of Por15 and metal ready...anyone else want to chime in??

QUOTE(Headrage @ May 2 2006, 04:11 PM) *

locust.gif

bd1308
allan, this kid knows more about welding than I do...why not call in someone who knows mroe?

Concerning welding "IM" the welder.gif :grasshopper:

b
jd74914
QUOTE(grasshopper @ May 2 2006, 08:29 PM) *

is that supposed to mean something?? dry.gif Beer you say?? drunk.gif It all depends on how much rust there is. If you car is flexing, then you need braces to assure perfect dimensions, but if it isn't that bad, then you should be good just patching the rust. lots of Por15 and metal ready...anyone else want to chime in??

locust.gif

he's kinda little . . . beer biggrin.gif . . . he'll end up like this drunk.gif

Just cut everything out and patch it. See picture (I know the engine shelf needs a little more work). Make sure you get good penetration, all of the locust.gif that I have seen look like they aren't quite hot enough. No offense BTW.
grasshopper
no offense taken. I have gone back and fixed everythin, because I was able to just knock it out with a hammer. Just havn't posted any pics. Latest repaired piece. Does this look any better?? I know it is a lot stronger... confused24.gif I dont want to go and try to help brit, and not do any good sad.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(jd74914 @ May 2 2006, 04:49 PM) *

QUOTE(grasshopper @ May 2 2006, 08:29 PM) *

locust.gif

he's kinda little . . . beer biggrin.gif . . . he'll end up like this drunk.gif

Just cut everything out and patch it. See picture (I know the engine shelf needs a little more work). Make sure you get good penetration, all of the locust.gif that I have seen look like they aren't quite hot enough. No offense BTW.

bd1308
that surprisingly looks comforting....

b
bd1308
Barry, I've seen pics of your work....looks good to me. I am NOT ANY WHERE NEAR a CW. We're cool

smile.gif

b
bd1308
could we do that as well Barry?

delete the antenna?

b
grasshopper
QUOTE(bd1308 @ May 2 2006, 05:09 PM) *

could we do that as well Barry?

delete the antenna?

b

aaayyuuppp biggrin.gif that is an easy one. My best welds YET. There was an antenna hole here..sorry no before pic... this is on the right rear fender
Click to view attachment
John
Honestly I just dont want to screw it up.

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but if this is your first ever rustoration, you will screw things up.

I believe that most everyone that does/did body work improves over time and it takes lots of practice. You constantly learn by doing and by learning, one will inevitably screw things up and hopefully learn how to fix whatever you screw up.

It's onlt metal, filler and paint. You should be smarter than any of those things.

good luck and get out there and DO it.

just my $0.02
bd1308
another local member told me that he started from not knowing anything to getting it done and he made his own parts too....I think it'll be okay, fun and educational.

I even have touchup paint at the body shop for re-painting that antenna cutout.

b
jd74914
Barry, those welds look so much better smilie_pokal.gif

Britt, Previous to this December, I had never done any real metal work. I handmade alot of patches, some of which were really large, and they all came out pretty well. They got much better as I went along. Just don't be afraid to cut something off again of it doesn't come out quite right. As John said, its only metal.
Allan
[quote name='grasshopper' date='May 2 2006, 05:29 PM' post='673564']
is that supposed to mean something??
locust.gif
[/quote]
[/quote]

I just couldn't find a cricket.

He made the post and nobody answered quickly and it got quite...

It was a joke.

I'm sorry, I have sinned against the young... sad.gif

I used it to bump the thread..... bs.gif
bd1308
icon_bump.gif
grasshopper
icon_bump.gif hey britt, post pics so we know what needs to be bought, and what needs to be hand shaped. welder.gif
bd1308
okay, i'll get those up tomorrow.

b
Mueller
what you need to do is take a lot of pictures right now of the damage and post them....

depending on the damage, you are fooling yourself thinking you can easily and quickly make the parts to do the repairs.....

bd1308
Alright, after the valve adjustment though.

b
grasshopper
making excuses...(your in denial)
bd1308
here we go....

1 - right side wheelwell.
2 - left side (not hellhole yet but needs to be cleaned up)
3 - uh, i'll get back to that one.
4 - rear floor pan to firewall and long connection
5 - okay THIS is the wheelwell hole itself.
6 - dunno what this is of....

bd1308
okay on #3 we are looking at the hole in one of the sides of the long, but there is no rust on the inside of the long. so mine is like a C (facing the other way) now, instead of a box.

b
grasshopper
uumm...wow blink.gif The hellhole its self looks fixable. It is the rear floor and firewall that need some major work. You are going to have to buy a rear floor pan replacement panel from AA. I think they are the only ones that make just the partial rear part. So I would say, jack plate, jack tube, rear floor, Battery tray, support, seat mounts..other stuff can be made. I am willing to provide the Jack plate, tube, battery tray and support, but I would rather not have to buy the rear floor... It can be done, but it WILL take more than a weekend. worse than I had thought sad.gif
bd1308
if we patch up the hellhole, i'm going to ask for a welder for my bday. I can then repair the rear floor. How hard are the seats to take out?

dude, if we do this hellhole, you'd be awesome in m book.

b
grasshopper
just thought of it, you will also need inner and outer firewall..which I have... from a sawzall victime, BUT I paid 130 for them, so I would like to help, but I dont want to be out that much.... here is the AA rear floor patch
grasshopper
oh yeah...and the jacking doughnut on the passenger side..but that is like 15 bucks from RD
grasshopper
sorry to be a pain, but to asses the rust better, could you slide the passenger seat forward, and pull the carpet back, and take a pic, then jump on it, and take another pic biggrin.gif I think I can see inside. but yeah, some more pics like from directly underneath and how much of the firewall is affected would be better.
Mueller
i'm either spoiled or lazy, but that car looks like a good canidate for a sawzall-smiley.gif party chowtime.gif
bd1308
Barry, you CAN see the inside.

b
bd1308
Mike, probably more spoiled would be my guess. I cant BELIEVE I traded a Jeep in for this, especially since there are WAY nicer ones available.

b
bd1308
Barry, what if I made a few calls to people to help out. Think a team of four or five could tackle this?

b
grasshopper
the more people the better. We can have someone working on the hell hole, someone working on the floor, someone working on the firewall and someone working on the long. MORE IS BETTER. I will PM you about the dates.
bd1308
I hope by the grace of God that this car gets fixed. The parent's funding source has just run dry for this car and I really love this car.....You know what I mean. I still get chills driving it.

b
grasshopper
dude, I just got the chills riding in mine the other day. i havn't felt that since the first time we bought it. It felt so good. just think, you would be better off fixing this, think about the costs. Since I am providing most of the parts, then you cost will end up being around 200-300. If you got a Cali car, that would just cover the car...add another 600-700 for shipping, and you are easily over the thousand dollar mark, and you could buy a running eastcoast car for that...
bd1308
You're awesome dude. You saved MY car

smilie_pokal.gif

I'm taking you and your dad for a tour, and both will drive my 914.

b
grasshopper
i dont know about drive. I have put off getting my learners for some reason...I just have never really had the time to get it. Remeber, I turned 15 six months ago! I *think* we are going to get it tomorrow...but i dont know..
bd1308
QUOTE(grasshopper @ May 5 2006, 05:40 PM) *

i dont know about drive. I have put off getting my learners for some reason...I just have never really had the time to get it. Remeber, I turned 15 six months ago! I *think* we are going to get it tomorrow...but i dont know..

right, sorry about that. sad.gif

b
Mueller
QUOTE(grasshopper @ May 5 2006, 04:25 PM) *

the more people the better. We can have someone working on the hell hole, someone working on the floor, someone working on the firewall and someone working on the long. MORE IS BETTER. I will PM you about the dates.

I'm not trying to be negative on this, but the more people working on the car at the same time also increases the chances of somebody getting seriously hurt from the drilling, the sawing, the grinding and the welding.............just something to think about...
bd1308
Mike, do you have any better ideas?

b
grasshopper
you know, I thought about it, and Mike is right. More people there would be nice, but we probably shouldn't work at the same time. At least not right next to each other...
grasshopper
ok, here are the parts
firewall, jackplate and tube, battery tray and support
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
grasshopper
back side, and underneath of the firewall
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bd1308
so what about the engine shelf and the top of the long? There's only a 1/8th inch slit in the long top but the sides (right) is trashed, like the wheelwell area.

b
bd1308
my firewall isnt rusted at all actually, I just need to rejoin the two pieces.

I have an idea why it rusted like that though. Rear window seal is shot.

b
grasshopper
you never posted pics of the engine shelf...if it extends out of the *hole* itself, then you need to buy one from RD, but the wheelhouse I can go ahead and make patch panels for, no need to spend 200 on a wheel house that only has a few holes...
grasshopper
wrong, your firewall is rusted. It needs good flanges for the floor to be welded too. Since I dont know how bad it is, I should probably bring my whole piece just to be safe, but if it isnt that bad, we can just remake the flanges. Here is where it is rusting
Click to view attachment
bd1308
you're the expert

smilie_pokal.gif

b
grasshopper
i am no expert! I read Michelkos restoration thread everytime I think I cant do it.
bd1308
If i didnt have to RELY on this car, I'd do the same thing Michelko did.

I just dont have much time to mess with it and no $$ to pay someone.....ya know?

is your welder 110V or 220V?

I'll need to know if its 220V cause I need to put a plug in there for a welder. I have conduit going through the garage, just no plug socket.

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.