Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SO914 update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Doug Leggins
I been getting out for short drives whenever I can. Today after work I was able to get in about 30 miles! A total of 150 miles on the car now.

The drive started out pretty good. The car was running fairly well but I had just a little carb popping/spitting at constant RPM around 3000. It wasn't consitantly occuring but was especially present when going up hill at constant RPM. Over the past 4 or 5 drives I have been able to little by little improve the running of the car. Today I decided to do a little seat of the pants timing adjustment and ......WOW!!! The engine really came around and now performs WAAAYYYY better!

No more popping/spitting and much more smooth and more power!!!

I have a few temporary fixes in place but overall the car is performing very well. Take off is smooth smile.gif Cruising at speed is a pleasure biggrin.gif And braking is just as it should be. After the great drive today it has kinda got me feeling like a proud papa -LOL

There's a few pieces still missing but here are a few pics.
Doug Leggins
The rocker panels are at the painter. A little welding, then a little more fitting, then paint. I hope to have them installed for the BGC.
Flat VW
Wow, looks great Doug!

John

P.S. Has William gotten to ride in it much? wavey.gif

Ferg
clap56.gif

Looking Good!!

Ferg
Doug Leggins
I still need to clean and prep a top and interior door panels. most other parts are pretty much ready to install -stereo, lower dash, center console.
TJB/914
Hi Doug

I was just thinking about your 914. Looking good. You should feel like a proud papa, beautiful job.

Tom
Allan
Jeez Doug,

If my car looked as good as yours I would seal it in plastic and put it away.

If I ever see it in person you have to let me sign the hood with my magic marker.... biggrin.gif
Doug Leggins
The wires hanging down in the engine bar area are a temporary ground for the alternator, temp fuel pump wiring and hot start button. I think I installed a bad white ignition switch in the column. I should have a replacement on Thursday.

William loves the car! He has been out for drives with me 3 or 4 times. The rest of the family only 1 time each so far.
Doug Leggins
I have been having a terrific time gathering parts, refurbing parts and even buying parts. I have put so much time into the project I was really beginning to think that I was going to like building the project more than driving it when it was done. But after a drive like today .....I've changed my mind. Driving the car is just a blast!!!

The engine came with a booklet that has break in proceedures -take it pretty easy for the first 500 miles. Don't go over 4000 RPM. Don't go over 65 MPH. Don't perform rapid acceleration.... I really got to get the 500 miles in so that the dont's get out of the way of the next level of fun!!!
Joe Owensby
Looks GREAT. What engine did you use?

Joe
So.Cal.914
Sweet!
smoke.gif

jim_hoyland
agree.gif Another fine rstoration, congratulations ! beerchug.gif
Gint
W drooley.gif W!

Very nice Doug!
Allan
QUOTE(Gint @ May 2 2006, 08:52 PM) *

W drooley.gif W!

Very nice Doug!

agree.gif givemebeer.gif Before I decide to drive to your house and steal it....
Doug Leggins
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ May 2 2006, 10:48 PM) *

Looks GREAT. What engine did you use?

Joe

The engine is a Jake built 2056. It was built in late 2001 for a kit car project that did not get completed. I bought the engine from the guy that was going to build the kit car. The rebuilt engine had never been installed in a car before I got it in my 914.

Allan - No magic maker autographs on the hood and NO stealing av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.