Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: probably a dumb tire question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JerryP
I put rims/tires on my 72 914 that I had on another 914. The treads appear to be fine and I can't find any dry rot but the tires sat on the other 914 for a long time, like a few years...at between 10-20 psi. I can't see anything odd visually but I can definitely feel a bumpier ride especially at slow speeds, which I did not have with my other rims/tires. It seems like its coming from the front passenger side tire.

Can a tire actually get out of round?
Could it be that they just need to be balanced?
It's a bent rim isn't it? dry.gif
Aaron Cox
balance?
Bent rim?

tires can "flatspot" from sitting too long
tdgray
Yes a tire can get out of round... usually temporarily. Happens to my MGA avery winter. A little driving and they are right back where they should be.

My bet is a bent rim.

highways
Steel belt radial inside the tire is probably shot. Yes they get out of round, from exactly the condition you described. I'm going to have the same problem. They're junk now. They'll do damage to your ball joints, suspension, and who knows what else.
highways
Well, maybe someone else knows better then me. I thought they would be junk, maybe not. But I wouldn't want to 'use my car' to 'round them out again'.
JerryP
[quote name='tdgray' date='May 4 2006, 03:24 PM' post='675300']
Yes a tire can get out of round... usually temporarily. Happens to my MGA avery winter. A little driving and they are right back where they should be.

Nice, I'm not totally insane. How much driving are we talking about. I've probably gone 40 or 50 miles. 0-30mph noticeable......30-60 less so.....above 60....steering wheel shakes a little. I was hoping not to have to shell out for new tires just yet but I don't want to put my suspension at risk.
JerryP
Tires are Vredestein Sprint Classics 185/70. I never heard of them before. Anyone know anything about them? They still sell them at $128/each.
tdgray
Not really sure how long it takes. Maybe a trip to and from work... about 40 miles.

I would take them to a reputable tire place and have them checked. They will be able to tell you right away if the rims is bent or they need balanced.

Not very expensive.
JerryP
agreed. Thanks. That's what I'll be doing.
Crazyhippy
Get a lil heat in them... every tire that i've had flat spot from sitting came back in 30 miles or less, on the freeway.

Had bias ply tires on a jeep and they would flat spot nightly... :-(

BJH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.