Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauge in center console hole - different size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
I installed a head temp gauge in my center console where the clock used to be. (Got a good deal at CB Performance.)

But there are two common sizes (3 1/8 or 2 1/16), neither of which fit the factory hole in the center console. I didn't want to cut the console, so I went with the smaller size.

My solution was readily available at Trekkor's favorite supply house. Picked up a short piece of ABS pipe at Home Depot. wink.gif

Cut a sleeve the length of the gauge body. It fits perfectly over the gauge. Put a little bit of black tape in between to snug it up. Then the combo fits perfectly in the stock hole.
jim_hoyland
Nice touch ! Can you explain a little about the installation of the sender.
Rand
The sender is just a ring that fits around a spark plug. I installed it under #3. Came with a long set of wires... fed them through the firewall and center tunnel and cut to length.** Piece o' cake.

IPB Image

**[EDIT - actually did not cut - coiled up the excess like you are supposed to! biggrin.gif ]
StratPlayer
If you noticed on the install instructions it said not to cut the length of the wires from the sender to the gauge.
Rand
Good catch StratPlayer....
The funny thing is I actually did note that and did NOT cut the wires!!! laugh.gif
Geez... It's been a while since I did this. wacko.gif I remembered the wires being extra long but forgot that I actually wrapped up the excess and left it in a bundle behind the panel...
Eric_Shea
If you actually read the instructions it says not to wrap up the excess and leave it in a bundle behind the panel... w00t.gif

So, that's 2 1/16th then? I want to mount my GT Gas gauge on the radio filler plate and I was thinking that and JB Weld oughta hold it for a while... cover with basket weave and away we go.
Rand
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 5 2006, 04:05 PM) *

If you actually read the instructions it says not to wrap up the excess and leave it in a bundle behind the panel... w00t.gif

So, that's 2 1/16th then? I want to mount my GT Gas gauge on the radio filler plate and I was thinking that and JB Weld oughta hold it for a while... cover with basket weave and away we go.

laugh.gif Well actually now that I think about it, I wrapped the excess around the steering wheel. Don't have the photo, so you'll have to take my word for it. laugh.gif

Dude, if you cover it with basketweave it will be really hard to read! tongue.gif

Yup, 2 1/16.
Cap'n Krusty

That's right! You have to either move the engine to the rear 3 or 4 feet, or extend the chassis by welding in a section. The Cap'n
Tobra
Cool idea, I was thinking black rubber hose, but I like this better

I really need to install my console and get a CHT guage.
Eric_Shea
Cap'n av-943.gif

Get busy with that plasma cutter!!
Joe Bob
The old 914 gauges were 2 1/8....the new ones will fit and usually come with a reducer ring to fit the older holes...or you can use 100 mph tape like you did....
McMark
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 5 2006, 04:24 PM) *

That's right! You have to either move the engine to the rear 3 or 4 feet, or extend the chassis by welding in a section. The Cap'n

You mean all that's available now is the CHT setup for a 914 Limo? lol2.gif
jim_hoyland
Thanks. The ring that goes under the plug has one wire running to the gauge; how does it measure temp ?
StratPlayer
The was a thread on that topic a while back. Do a search for CHT and you'll get the answer. I remember reading about how it measures tempature.
Rand
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 5 2006, 08:42 PM) *

Thanks. The ring that goes under the plug has one wire running to the gauge; how does it measure temp ?

Actually there are two wires inside that sheath. What you don't see in that photo is the red and black wires emerging from the sheath and going into the connector.
BarberDave
This is probbly the Dumb A-- Ques. of the day!!
Why a CHT on just one head,why not both. I know the #3 cly thing,and uneven air flow over both heads ,so why not one on each bank? Dave
Joe Bob
Nothing says ya can't.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.