Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is wider better for Auto-x or a hinderance?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I thought I had read a while back that SirAndy had some difficulties on a particular course and "blamed" it on his wider than stock GT flared 9"+ wide tire combo.

According to what I have read, the standard 914 is 65" wide, add GT flares and it jumps to 70" or 2.5" additional per side.

For those that have gone from a stock width car to a one with GT flares or even Bontempi flares, did you have to change your driving technique???
nebreitling
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 7 2006, 03:11 PM) *

I thought I had read a while back that SirAndy had some difficulties on a particular course and "blamed" it on his wider than stock GT flared 9"+ wide tire combo.

According to what I have read, the standard 914 is 65" wide, add GT flares and it jumps to 70" or 2.5" additional per side.

For those that have gone from a stock width car to a one with GT flares or even Bontempi flares, did you have to change your driving technique???

of course it depends on the course, but i think that the additional tire you can stuff under those flares (can you say,,, slicks!) far outweighs the problems brought by a tight course.
URY914
I've had my car as both a norrow body car and a GT flared car. I first thought that the norrow body would help me get though the cones quicker but I would now say without a second thought the wide body is the way to go. More rubber and a wider stance is the fast way around.

Don't blame the width of the car for you being slow or hitting a cone. laugh.gif
porsha916
I am not sure that wider is always better at a autoX. I believe that there are factors to consider, weight , HP, torque, tire size & type, suspension setup, and gear ratio's are the major ones. Flares will usually put into another class, you need a lot more than wider tires to be competitive. The 914 is a great car, make improvements go faster and have fun!!!! biggrin.gif
Bill
J P Stein
When I put wider rear flares on my car they collected cone guts
like there was no tomorrow. The new width takes some gettin' used to....it's always there, so ya gotta take it into account. I don't think I've hit a cone in 10 passes this year. I even missed this one......we're a bit crossed up.The direction of travel is right to left.....Click to view attachment
turboman808
I've been at a few autox where they have these boxes you have to get thru. I gues on those it can slow you down but overall wider is better.
SirAndy
QUOTE(nebreitling @ May 7 2006, 03:19 PM) *

of course it depends on the course, but i think that the additional tire you can stuff under those flares (can you say,,, slicks!) far outweighs the problems brought by a tight course.

agree.gif that "gate" after the long sweeper at the last AX in alameda was the exception ...
usually, a course does not get that tight. of course, it was only too tight because we 914 drivers could do the sweeper full throttle and were carring a lot of speed out of the sweeper and into the "gate".
i *could* have braked and slowed down and drive through in an angle without hitting a cone. would probably have cost me 3 sec., so i rather went for one cone.
even made it through clean 3 times (out of 7).

but it was tight like ******, maybe 2" on each side max. with the wider flares, if that ...
driving.gif Andy
URY914
If the designer lays out a course that you can't drive thru he needs to be chair.gif

I've seen it happen and and the dumbass just said "Well you need to slow down more." I wanted to kick his ass. A course needs to be able to be driven, and at speed, thats the whole point. It has to have a certain "flow" to it. Not to tip toe around cones at 5 mph.

Just my $.02...
Paul
grantsfo
The advantage of wider stickier tires far outweighs the minimal amount of wider track if you have the power to push them. You'll find far more places where wider track and more tire are an advantage rather than a disadvantage compared to a car with narrow tires and track.
DanT
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 7 2006, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(nebreitling @ May 7 2006, 03:19 PM) *

agree.gif that "gate" after the long sweeper at the last AX in alameda was the exception ...
usually, a course does not get that tight. of course, it was only too tight because we 914 drivers could do the sweeper full throttle and were carring a lot of speed out of the sweeper and into the "gate".
i *could* have braked and slowed down and drive through in an angle without hitting a cone. would probably have cost me 3 sec., so i rather went for one cone.
even made it through clean 3 times (out of 7).

but it was tight like ******, maybe 2" on each side max. with the wider flares, if that ...
driving.gif Andy

Andy,
GGR rules for AX courses. Minimum width in straights..20 feet. Minimum width in corners is 25 feet inside radius. If it was tighter than that is was an illegal course for a GGR event. I have spent many a morning going around pacing off areas and moving cones out to the minimum legal width. If you find one that is questionable find the course designer or one of the AX chairs. If they don't correct it refer them to the rule book...if no joy then protest the event and results. biggrin.gif
Might as well stir the pot.... burnout.gif
Trekkor
I was on course set-up one time at Marina.
The designer and his son were not too happy with me as I was right behind them moving their cones and telling them over and over how they were building an illegal course... busted_cop.gif

KT
Joe Ricard
Wider is better. I had switched between Fuchs and Kumhos vs. Hoosiers and 8" wide rims.

The wider stance and wider tires has more grip.
If the course is so tight that I can't get the car to rotate well it was a bad design.

Skinny tires enable the car to rotate quicker so you gotta drive it like a "drifting Pro".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.