Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
My car has starting to run a little rough last week. Today is is totally down. It acts like it is running on 2 cylinders and won't idle. The points were pitted so I replaced them with the cap and condensor. The plugs were black. 2 were totally wet (3 + 4) and have been replaced. I have changed the ECU, MPS. and the coil. The fuel pressure is up around 29. Any suggestions?

Mark
bd1308
D-jet or L-Jet Fi?

if D-jet, I would look at your FI Trigger points....Although they fire in diagonal banks, there wouldnt be any real reason why it wouldnt fire on two cylinders on the same side, unless your wires on the distributor cap were switched. THAT would cause all kinds of problems.

b
Dr Evil
Check injectors. If they are gummed up they will drool the fuel out instead of atomizing it and you will get soaked plugs. If trigger points are bad you will likely get nothing on the plug/run lean if at all.
Heeltoe914
Check the two or three grd wires at the center of the eng block. Clean grd near relay board.
So.Cal.914
If you find that the F I is ok ,I would check the valves. I have had valves tighten up and the valve does not close, causing compression loss. On a four cyl. it will seem that you have lost two cyl's.

smoke.gif
Bartlett 914
Thanks for the input guys.

I am still having problems. I am getting spray at the injectors. I replaced the distributor. I may have an electricial problem. I replaced the relay board and the fuel pump quit working. After several swaps back and forth, the fuel pump started working again but I still have the same problem. I am going to look into the grounds a little more. The one at the rear of the engine seemed tight but that mignt not be enough. I will do a compression test. I will also have to recheck my engine timing now that the distributor was changed. Thanks again for your input.

Mark
Bartlett 914
I think I found something.
#1 110
#2 110
#3 0
#4 125

I hope this is just a valve adjustment sad.gif

On the way to the front to give this reply, I see something small on the floor. Graphite center from my new distributor cap. icon8.gif

Thanks again everyone

Bartlett 914
I am so Bummed! I cannot get any clearance on intake #3. I suspect burned valve. headbang.gif

Just as all kinds of Spring activities are happening! stromberg.gif
bd1308
damn...mine decided it had enough and snapped off and siezed my engine....

b
elwood-914
QUOTE(bd1308 @ May 8 2006, 07:38 PM) *

damn...mine decided it had enough and snapped off and siezed my engine....

b

That was your old engine right? Is your donated engine doing O.K.?
GaroldShaffer
yep his old engine.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 8 2006, 06:49 PM) *

I am so Bummed! I cannot get any clearance on intake #3. I suspect burned valve. headbang.gif

Don't wish to insult you but did you rotate the engine around to TDC on that

cylinder? And I cant think of any situation with a burnt valve that would keep you

from being able to adjust the valve. Lifter problem? Pull rockers, PR, and PR tube

out. Put your finger into the hole and try to slide the lifter in and out, if it moves

pull it out and inspect. If it dosen't, well lets not get ahead of ourselves.

smoke.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 9 2006, 12:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 8 2006, 06:49 PM) *

Don't wish to insult you but did you rotate the engine around to TDC on that

cylinder? And I cant think of any situation with a burnt valve that would keep you

from being able to adjust the valve. Lifter problem? Pull rockers, PR, and PR tube

out. Put your finger into the hole and try to slide the lifter in and out, if it moves

pull it out and inspect. If it dosen't, well lets not get ahead of ourselves.

smoke.gif

Yea I rotated the engine. The rocker never feels loose even with the adjuster screwed fully out. Also when I adjust the screw in, I can see the valve end move lateraly. I have been wondering how this can happen. The valve must have stretched or the seat worn somewow. Maybe the seat broke and fell out. I don't recall any bad noises. and I did drive the car one day and it wouldn't start the next. It also seems the valve guide is seriously worn. I will look at it again but I am fairly certain the head is toast. I have another car I am restoring. It has a good running 1.8 and a good transmission. I will probably pull the 2.0 and if necessary install the 1.8. The 1.8 needs HE's. Will the 2.0 HE's fit?
Dave_Darling
The 2.0 HEs will fit the 1.8 motor. Make sure to use the 2.0 muffler and muffler hanger.

If both the 2.0 and the 1.8 are 75+ cars, the exhaust is identical between them. If only one of them is a 75+ car, you will need to swap over all of the heater parts as well as the HEs.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.