Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Sandys car and other things I do
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rick 918-S
59 days to the WCC "06" No heads yet. I'm not too worried yet. I can complete the Alien Resurection in a week. So My friend needed a hood for his Beetle. While I was building my garage I put a really nice one up in the loft. I never put the stairs in to the loft. So the hood was too big to get down through the small access hole I left. One thing lead to another... I had to build a stairway to get to the hood. blink.gif

Well We got the hood down now anyway.

Then, some of you know Sandy was looking for a summer car to replace the Titan. She doesn't need to drive that big gas sucker all week to work. We missed the So Cal 914 by about 4 hours. We checked out another car in Mich. By then she was over 914's.... confused24.gif

She spotted a Bugeye ad, and off we went with the trailer. This is a true Barn Find. The P.O. bought this car as you see it 10 years ago. It was sitting in a wrecking yard with a bunch of Caddy's. He moved to his Barn and never looked in the corner again.

Here's her new ride! 1959 Austin Healey Bugeye, It looks tough but it's all surface rusted. No holes or issues with the pan.

I just bought a Suzuki Swift 16V DOHC engine and a Samuri 5 speed trans. I may run Solexs on it. It's only 1300 cc's. The car will be stripped and sand blasted over the next two weeks. More photos to come.
So.Cal.914
Sence I Was a young man I have always loved those cars. It was between the

"Bugeye" and a TD, so I got the 914. Nice find. smoke.gif
VegasRacer
Very nice. You have my approval. thumb3d.gif

Congrats Sandy. yikes.gif <---(the closest I could find for a Bugeye smilie)
Jeroen
nice score!
rick 918-S
She asked my to take her picture with the car. I think she likes this one.
rick 918-S
Here's an update if your interested...
rick 918-S
Someone cut the curve off the front and rear of the quarters and rockers. I'm putting them back on. Here's how....
rick 918-S
Finshed the right rear. BTW: still no heads, all my fault..
olav
Looking good.

Keep the progress coming.

What kind of rear suspension does that beast have?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(olav @ Jun 12 2006, 07:56 AM) *

Looking good.

archaic tongue.gif
Mrs. K
smilie_pokal.gif Congrats Sandy!

And nice job there Rich! smash.gif

Lisa
mrs.K.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 12 2006, 07:17 AM) *

QUOTE(olav @ Jun 12 2006, 07:56 AM) *

Looking good.

archaic tongue.gif

agree.gif
lapuwali
Assuming it's at all stock, it will have quarter elliptic springs (i.e., one set of leaf springs, cut in half, with the square end bolted to the tub, and the "pointy" end bolted to the axle), which perform all lateral and longitudinal location. Lever-arm shocks. Very simple, with generally awful geometry. Archaic is a good description.

rick 918-S
Some of you may have wondered how this is done. Here's a couple more from tonight.
rick 918-S
pattern
MJHanna
any reason why someone would do that to the fenders? to get larger tires under it?
Howard
Rick, as always, beautiful work. Love your industrial jack stands biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Finished the right side, on the the left. This is about 10 hrs of work stretched out over 4 evenings give or take. The repair pieces are butt welded.
Aaron Cox
rick... why the suzuki motor?

wouldnt the OE motor help with value and resale?
VaccaRabite
I was reading this thread and thinking about all the MGs that I see around where I live. Comming back to the store the other day I asked Erin if she would like one. I'd always thought she would look great in a little brit sports car.

She turned me down. Flat. I was stunned.

Oh well, maybe when she sees how nice my 914 is gunna be.
(or maybe she sees the mess that my 914 is now....) biggrin.gif

Zach
tdgray
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jun 15 2006, 01:55 AM) *

rick... why the suzuki motor?

I'm guessing that she might want to actually drive with more than 60HP biggrin.gif

I love my MGA but... higways are completely off limits. Crusing at 3500 - 4000 RPM to do 60-65 when your redline is 5200 is not something you want to do for more than a few minutes at a time (especially with a 46 year old never rebuilt motor).

The sierra 5 speed conversion is also a popular conversion for the MG's as well... people sell kits to work with the stock motor.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jun 15 2006, 08:39 AM) *

I'm guessing that she might want to actually drive with more than 60HP biggrin.gif

It isn't so much the 60HP, but the driving aspect, I would imagine. The Suzuki motor doesn't have any vintage Lucas components.

Beautiful car though - I could see how she picked it over a 914.
rick 918-S
This car came with a 948 cc motor (I think 40 hp) and a 4 sp trans. The trans was filled with water and is completely seized, and the engine is of unknown condition.

I rebuilt a 5 main 1800 cc for her MGA once. it ran fine but like others said, 55 mph was it. It was unpredictable, and unreliable for her as a daily commuter car. She never drove it, ever! The only time she would go anywhere in it is if I drove her. I have my own cars to drive.

A couple of reasons I picked the Swift motor. First is parts availability.

Second is it looks like a lotus twin cam motor. (staying with the British look anyway)

Third is it has 100 hp. The Samurai 5 speed is a direct bolt on, which gives the car overdrive with a high reving import motor. This should make the car very drivable for weekend trips.

I've since thought about carbs over injection. I'm going to modify the stock intake to fit within the confines of the engine bay and stay with the stock injection. I may move to MS as an easy way to get a tune-able system. This will make it much easier for sandy to start and run it after work.

If your interested I'll post more photos as I work on it. I know it's not a 914 but I havn't found a stateside Healey board with real traffic. And I know some of you guys are as nuts as I am.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 15 2006, 10:17 AM) *

If your interested I'll post more photos as I work on it. I know it's not a 914 but I havn't found a stateside Healey board with real traffic. And I know some of you guys are as nuts as I am.

You better keep updating the thread! I love reading this stuff. It keeps me intrested in working on my car. :-)

Zach
tdgray
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Jun 15 2006, 09:55 AM) *

QUOTE(tdgray @ Jun 15 2006, 08:39 AM) *

It isn't so much the 60HP, but the driving aspect, I would imagine. The Suzuki motor doesn't have any vintage Lucas components.

Beautiful car though - I could see how she picked it over a 914.

Ya know all this bashing of Lucas electrics... I have NEVER, EVER had a problem with my MGA. I have driven through horrendous rain storms etc and not one hitch.

Crap my JVC CD player died in the last rain storm but the car never quit. driving.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jun 15 2006, 11:44 AM) *

Ya know all this bashing of Lucas electrics... I have NEVER, EVER had a problem with my MGA. I have driven through horrendous rain storms etc and not one hitch.

I don't doubt that there were/are owners who never had problems with their British cars. However in my personal experience, these cars have always been problematic. Growing up, my parents had an MG Miget, and that was frequently having problems. I got my first taste of wrenching on cars from "helping" my Dad out working on that thing. I learned how push starting worked from that car. The top never leaked, but it had plenty of other problems.

Everybody that I know personally who has owned a classic British car at any point in their lives has similar tales of woe, from fires, to receiving shocks when operating switches (in one instance, a brand new Spitfire that had a short in the electric overdrive switch), to leaky windows, carbs that never quite worked right, etc...

But like I said, I don't doubt that some people had perfect experiences. And in spite of the reputations for being trouble, I still think the old Jags, MGs, Healeys, etc look great and I'd love to have one.
rick 918-S
I've been working on the Healey. If it ever cools down I'm ready to paint the shell. The bonnet and doors are still in need of work. But if I get the shell in paint the interior, wiring and motor and trans can go in.
tdgray
Damn Rick... you do amazing body work.

That would have taken me four times as long and would not have looked 1/4 as good.

Stay in touch buddy.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jul 29 2006, 06:11 AM) *

Damn Rick... you do amazing body work.

That would have taken me four times as long and would not have looked 1/4 as good.

Stay in touch buddy.

Thanks man, wavey.gif Sandy wants the car this year. wub.gif (yes dear...) I'm in a time crunch. sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif blowtorch.gif My job may pull me away at any minute. mad.gif So I'm jamming to knock it out. I'll probably be gone again for awhile. assimilate.gif But not gone... screwy.gif
JoeSharp
Rick, I once thought I saw a picture of a 100S in your shop. Missed you guys at the WCC.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Bleyseng
Here is a nice "Bug" that was at the PIR Historics/WCC06 event.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 29 2006, 07:52 AM) *

Rick, I once thought I saw a picture of a 100S in your shop. Missed you guys at the WCC.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe

Yep, I have a 1954 Austin Healey 100-4 project car. I was going to do it stock but I changed my mind. I think I'm going to do a Rover V8.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 29 2006, 07:53 AM) *

Dood! drooley.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 29 2006, 08:53 AM) *

WOW!

What a sharp car!

John
rick 918-S
Painted the rear shell today.
drewvw
looks great. My family has a '60 bugeye thats old english white....original for the most part and unrestored. Great little car. Its on my blog

I am jealous of the 100-4..would love to have one of those. drooley.gif

I need to show thsese pics to my dad...
JPB
My mom lived with a dude who had a white one. It was a very cool little car. I see you removed the fender splices on the top of the fenders or at least looks like you did. Nice work and will be alot of fun with 100 HPs.

beer.gif Their Lotus engines were very unreliable, good choice with the new toy motor.
wbergtho
Rick,

I cannot say on this forum what I do while waiting for my head...suffice to say it is embarassing clap56.gif
Toast
Looking good Sandy! wub.gif

Nice job Rick!

wavey.gif
GWN7
Rick,

this was at the same garage I picked up the Westy from last week.....59 all original ..... needs paint, it's in SE Iowa. The owner was driving it away and it sounded good...
rick 918-S
For those interested, Here's an update. I set the Suzuki Swift motor and Samurai 5sp into the Bugeye. No mounts yet. Here are a couple of photos of the intake mod.
rick 918-S
In the first photo you can see the intake flange cut off the manifold. The intake is a ram horn design. The ram tubes curled down in the swift. It would not fit into the Bugeye that way. I modified the intake so the ram tubes curl up and the throttle body faces forward.
rick 918-S
one more
tdgray
AWESOME Rick... you are the MAN piratenanner.gif
rick 918-S
Now that the site is back up I have an update coming soon.
McMark
Looking forward to the new pics, Rick! I wanna see the welding on that intake. welder.gif
rhodyguy
are you going to use a extrusion type process to clean up the welds on the interior runner sufaces? i still think the seeing the usa from the business end of a paint gun is a good idea.

k
rick 918-S
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 24 2006, 12:40 AM) *

Looking forward to the new pics, Rick! I wanna see the welding on that intake. welder.gif

I'm going to Gas weld it. I'm still out of practice. Back in the day that's all I had was torches before mig welders were common. I don't have a tig, so.... I've been practicing off and on for a week.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 24 2006, 06:52 AM) *

are you going to use a extrusion type process to clean up the welds on the interior runner sufaces? i still think the seeing the usa from the business end of a paint gun is a good idea.

k

Nothing as high tec as the extrude hone, more like a die grinder. thumb3d.gif I would love to be a traveling body shop assistant. But I'm not sure the wife would go for that.. slap.gif
rick 918-S
The mounts are done on the Healey and I just received the mandrel bent tubing for the header I need to build. I was going to run the stock exhaust manifold but when I took it off I discovered it was cracked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.