Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Latest Hacker/Virus attack ... Read This!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
just in case you missed all the fun, the 914club website was down for almost a week after we had been hacked/hijacked and a so called "Trojan" virus was planted on our server.

the intention of the virus was to be spread to our members computers to be able to gain control over as many computers as possible.

luckily, i catched it fairly quickly and shut down the site as a precaution while i was upgrading the system.

the system is once again virus free (for now) and hopefully stays that way.

if you are in doubt about your computer and you think you might have catched the virus, please, update your antivirus software to the latest version and do a full scan of your harddrive.

i'm sorry if this caused any of our members any trouble ...
beerchug.gif Andy
Joe Bob
I vote we blame it on Texas boy.....

Oh ya gud yob Ahhhndy.
Jeroen
booya! we're back

thanks for the good work Herr Andy!!!
have a rum-coke on me biggrin.gif
Trekkor
Glad to be back home.

KT
MoveQik
I just woke from a horrible dream! I had this repeating nightmare that every day for a week I woke up and tried to log on and all I got was a splash page. It was horrible!! Glad it was only a dream....

Thanks Andy! beerchug.gif
Gint
Damn! I was hoping for another week off!
DonTraver
Thanks for your hard work Andy, it's appreciated.

Don
dekman
Thank You! and all who helped........ clap56.gif
URY914
Andy you have done it again. THANK YOU.
Thank you ..and those who initiated this virus - f OFF
Aaron Cox
andy- just for fun. past tense of catch is caught. tongue.gif

thanks for all your hard work boss!
grasshopper
grr...aaron said it before me! lol, just poking at you andy
grasshopper
P.S. I got it before you shut the club down, and if anyone else cares, it takes control of your virus protection(mine was norton) and it will shut it down. Luckily, we have to virus protection systems, so the other one caught it. It could get nasty quick, so I would recommend checkin it out.
sixnotfour
Good Job Andy
riverman
Thanks Andy. And thanks to all those who helped Andy, too. Life is much better when the 914Club is around.
jd74914
QUOTE(grasshopper @ May 16 2006, 09:13 PM) *

P.S. I got it before you shut the club down, and if anyone else cares, it takes control of your virus protection(mine was norton) and it will shut it down. Luckily, we have to virus protection systems, so the other one caught it. It could get nasty quick, so I would recommend checkin it out.

wouldn't that be TWO laugh.gif

thanks andy beer3.gif
drewvw

hot damn we're back! nice work as always andy beer3.gif
jimtab
Andy, thanks for everything...I, and many others owe you many drinks...we're not worthy.... smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif
pokey1168
[quote name='(*)(*)' date='May 16 2006, 07:35 PM' post='680980']

Not all of us are so bad.....but most of us do have guns ar15.gif
914werke
Thanks Andy beer3.gif
bondo
Thanks again! boldblue.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE((*)(*) @ May 16 2006, 07:35 PM) *

Oh ya gud yob Ahhhndy.

finger.gif
mack914
Thanks for all the hard work... biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Great work Andy! Thanks!
Brad Roberts
Andy,

was it a name/password issue on the update page?

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 16 2006, 07:13 PM) *

was it a name/password issue on the update page?

nope ...
Brett W
You Da Man. Thanks Andy.
Allan
Thanks Andy... jsharp.gif
Grimstead
Thank You Sir!
clap56.gif
drunk.gif
beer.gif
beerchug.gif
beer3.gif
boldblue.gif
piratenanner.gif
mueba.gif
rocking nana.gif
smiley_notworthy.gif
thumb3d.gif
pray.gif
markb
clap56.gif Thanks Andy!!
Gary
Andy, you rock. Thanks for all the hard work! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Mrs. K
QUOTE(Grimstead @ May 16 2006, 07:27 PM) *

Thank You Sir!
clap56.gif
drunk.gif
beer.gif
beerchug.gif
beer3.gif
boldblue.gif
piratenanner.gif
mueba.gif
rocking nana.gif
smiley_notworthy.gif
thumb3d.gif
pray.gif

thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif
Exactly!
Thanks Andy! wub.gif

Lisa mrs.K.gif
Katmanken
mueba.gif mueba.gif mrs.K.gif aktion035.gif jsharp.gif mueba.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif aktion035.gif Yaaaaayyyyyyy!!!!!!!! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif drunk.gif

Sor Ahndie does it again.....

In honor of your hard work and diligence, little kitty wanted the change to my avatar... happy11.gif

Ken
Porsche Rescue
Andy, you and the site are appreciated.
mikelsr
Dude you rock!
9146R
Andy,
You R da-man....thanks for your tireless efforts on our behalf....much appreciated. Missed this site big time.
Greg
jonwatts
So far no Alpha so it looks like the patch it holding.

Thanks admin gang!
turboman808
It's about time here I was just got my car and got a million questions, then the sight goes down biggrin.gif
MBowman325
Finally get 'round to getting another 914, come to the site, and it was down! smile.gif Glad it's back up!
bmcwilli
I've been running OSX on a powerbook for over 3 years. Nary a virus.

Apple just released an Intel Macbook for less than $1100. yes, it WILL run windows, and yes Windows on a mac is still insecure.

If you have no compelling reason that you MUST own a Wintel machine, check out the Mac.

rick 918-S
Pheeewww! I thought I was out o here for a month...
Scott Carlberg
Hey Andy,
why the FUCH are you apologizing? WTF.gif

Many have said it before me, many will say it AGAIN & AGAIN,

THANK YOU for ALL your hard work on this home, er, website! pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
eg914
Not to be redundant (or repetative) THANKS for all the hard work, this site is great!
ppickerell
I hit my bookmark 2-3 times a day during the shutdown. But after seeing das pelikanpost I desisted, then checked my IP against the felony list and was relieved to see that I was clean. Thanks for all of your efforts.
Midtowner
Thank you Andy! I really missed this place! clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
Andyrew
*twitches*

Im

*twitch*

Recovering slowly from the site

*twitch*

being down..

Another week, and I would have died..

THANKS ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*twitch*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ThinAir
Did this thing have a name?
SirAndy
QUOTE(ThinAir914 @ May 16 2006, 11:47 PM) *

Did this thing have a name?

PHP Exploit called "r57 shell" ...
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...stbackdoor.html

BUT that's only the part that infected the *server* ...

the part that infected the members computers is "Hacktool.IE.Exploit" ...

KMA.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
It was listed back in 05? I *thought* I saw Norton running on the machine? Did Norton catch it?

Can I upload thew McAffee client that you can monitor from anywhere?

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 17 2006, 12:26 AM) *

It was listed back in 05? I *thought* I saw Norton running on the machine? Did Norton catch it?
Can I upload thew McAffee client that you can monitor from anywhere?

norton didn't catch it because there was nothing to catch (i'm talking about the server part here) ...
and McAffee would not have catched it either ...

the actual trojan that was downloaded to the mebers machines is pretty old, it's been around for a while ...

brad, i just told you on the phone how they got into the server. did you hear me say anything about them planting a "file" ?

the anti-virus software on the server never catched it because there was nothing to catch. by the time the guy was done, all that was left was a *link* in the main index page of this BBS to a hacker owned server that automatically downloaded the 2nd part of the attack to whomever was looking at the index page ...

they only used our server as a "host"
and all they hosted was a *link* to the actual backdoor trojan that resides on their own server ...

does this make any sense?

*NO* amount of anti-virus software on the server would have prevented this, BUT up to date anti-virus software on the viewers part would have catched the trojan.
as it did on my machine. i actually had windows defender go bezerk when i looked at the clubsite.
that's when i went and shut it down immediately ...

type.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.