Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optima yellow top deep cycle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iamchappy
I am considering replacing my red top with a yellow top, Reason being I will be running 2 - 7" fans for my intercooler, a Tilton transmission pump for my tranny cooler and my 2 - 8" sub , 6.5 and 5.25 speakers powered by my Alpine head unit and 2 Alpine amps along with the normal power accessories than run the car.

Do you think I would benefit switching to a Yellow top deep cycle for my set up and additional electrical drains. confused24.gif

Rand
I thought a deep cycle was made to charge up, then run down... ie they don't like constant charging like a regular car battery.

I don't know about the yellow tops, but just something to check out.
Howard
QUOTE(Rand @ May 16 2006, 07:21 PM) *

I thought a deep cycle was made to charge up, then run down... ie they don't like constant charging like a regular car battery.

agree.gif
I believe they are for marine and golf cart use.
Rand
How about a higher output alternator? I think a club member here builds/sells them.

edit: Found it, davep: high amp alternator
Dave_Darling
I had a yellow-top fail after about a year and a half in my Honda. Several other Honda folks had similar experiences. (The only Optima that is the same size as the stock battery in that car is a yellow-top.)

The quality of the yellows seems to be less than great.

--DD
iamchappy
I just picked up a used car for my son and it needs a battery so I was thinking about throwing my red top in his car and picking up a new one for myself. While I was picking up goodies at Costco today there was a yellow top Optima screaming at me to take it home and made me wonder.
akellym
I've had a yellow for three years and it's still working great.
bmcwilli
I dunno if the yollow is truly a deep cycle. A deep cycle is designed to be more tolerant of deep discharges, while a cranking battery should never be deep discharged.

Don't think a deep cycle is what you;re looking ofr/

Most recommendations are to not let a deep cycle go below 20%. Also, I belive the yellow top requires a different charging regime and max voltage than standard cranking batteries.

I odn't know if Odyssey makes a battery that fits, but their AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries are great. Check em out..

www.odysseybatteries.com
Tobra
Odyssey is what NAPA sells, I think. The meatbag I talked to down there said they did not make one with the poles reversed, like for a 914.
hcdmueller
QUOTE(Rand @ May 16 2006, 06:21 PM) *

Definitely deep cycle. We use the yellow tops on some of our robotic equipment at work. They only consistently work well when we run them down and do a full recharge. I have seen several completely give up when they sit on a charger too long.
akellym
okay here you go this is right from optimas web site. As you will see there is nothing wrong with using a deep cycle battery.

Advantages of the OPTIMA® Deep Cycle Battery:

Delivers higher peak amps faster than conventional batteries
Provides up to twice the life of conventional batteries
More consistent voltage across the discharge curve
Superior cold and hot weather performance vs. conventional batteries
Available in models with SAE posts, stainless threaded studs, or both
Spill-proof, even if the case is physically ruptured
Will not off-gas in normal operation, eliminating fumes, odor & corrosion
Over 14x more shock and vibration resistant than conventional batteries
Provides more power from a smaller package
True zero maintenance
Holds charge better during periods of nonuse
Operates in any position without spilling
Offers proven durability & performance (Read testimonials)

Selecting The Right Optima® Battery
Optima® offers two basic battery types: Optima starter type batteries, and Optima dual-purpose deep cycle/starter batteries. The Optima starter type batteries are superior replacement units for your car, truck, boat, or other vehicle. Optima deep cycle/starter batteries serve dual purposes: They function very well as starter batteries, but they also are designed to withstand repeated deep discharging (down to a charge level of 10.5 volts) without having their life span shortened. This ability makes them especially useful when electrical loads exceed recharge rate (including times when the battery cannot be recharged at all, such as for marine trolling motors, or for running car audio equipment with your engine turned off.) Optima deep cycle batteries are very popular for marine trolling motors, winches, special lighting, portable power, and emergency backup systems of all types. If you need high performance power for car audio, the best battery for you is one or more of the largest Optima deep cycle/starter batteries you can fit in.

iamchappy
So if I go with the yellow top deep cell then I dont have to purchase a better stereo system for my garage, i can just use the cars sound system all day long and the battery will be happier because of it. Stick the trickle on it overnight and I am good to go.
Or I could go get a high power alternator. Or I could do nothing and see how the red top handles the extra draw from the accessories.

Yellow top looks to be a duel purpose battery that may be in the future for the car.
lotus_65
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 16 2006, 08:52 PM) *

I just picked up a used car for my son and it needs a battery so I was thinking about throwing my red top in his car and picking up a new one for myself. While I was picking up goodies at Costco today there was a yellow top Optima screaming at me to take it home and made me wonder.

you got him a cayenne, fresh off lease, and it's got a dead battery?! wavey.gif
iamchappy
Wrong son I have 4 of them. Ollie wants the Cayenne, My wife wants a Maserati, My daughter wants a Range Rover, my youngest says he would be happy with a Geo, and my oldest gets the junker free car. And the middle son gets none he has to earn it......

All I want is my 914 and man do I get grief over it.
iamchappy
I picked up the yellow top, I figured with all the extra electrics I have running and the huge power drain with the electric heater I use in the Fall, I think this may cover me for awhile if the alternator cant keep up.
Allan
Does your teener float?
turboman808
Just wanted to add I picked up a oddesy battery for another car and it works really sweet. I got a smaller light weight one. I just got to make a battery box for it.

The racecar 914 from this weekend had the same small oddessy in the passenger side. If the optima in the 914 ever dies I will get one of these for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.