Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: T4-T1 Swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpmmaxxed
A low mile 1835 engine thats bored, cammed, and otherwise hotrodded is being offered for sale to me.

What is involved in putting a t1 into a 914?

So.Cal.914
First you shoot yourself in the foot. Then you put a zipper on your engine compartment so when the T1 blows up you can put the T4 back in. Have fun.

smoke.gif
Andyrew
Should bolt in.

but it doesnt make nearly as much tq as a t4 engine....

which is why no one does it.....
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 16 2006, 11:44 PM) *

Should bolt in.

but it doesnt make nearly as much tq as a t4 engine....

which is why no one does it.....

Replies noted...

Main reasons for doing so are.

1) To pull the 1.7 and clean it up, see how its doin.
2) To have for the sandrail...

Thanks for the replies fella's . I was entirely un-aware of teh tq. hard to realize less than what she's got now...
Andyrew
Lets just say.. that the old bugs couldnt go past 70mph...

Andrew...

lol
Aaron Cox
dude. put the crackpipe down please.

bad idea.
Brad Roberts
I actually cant figure out why more people havent attempted this conversion.

Things I can quickly think of:

1. engine mounting with cross bar. NOt sure how this would work.
2. exhaust (and or heat)
3. cooling without sucking heat from exhaust system (no engine tin to fit)

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 17 2006, 12:23 AM) *

I actually cant figure out why more people havent attempted this conversion.

Things I can quickly think of:

1. engine mounting with cross bar. NOt sure how this would work.
2. exhaust (and or heat)
3. cooling without sucking heat from exhaust system (no engine tin to fit)

B

because a type one is equally archaic to a type 4......

and it aint worth the trouble.... for a grenade motor to have equal hp....
Brad Roberts
Think about who the audience is = cheap

VW T-1 Hot Rod engines = cheap and easy to come by.

B
McMark
I'm with Brad. I'm waiting to see someone do this. I wanna see what happens. happy11.gif
Jake Raby
At least choose something better than the 1835! Thats THE worst, hottest running Type 1 engine on the planet! The cylinders are paper thin! Its actually a bored out 90.5mm cylinder, they both use the same register OD.

The gearing of a 914 will melt a TI, let it get out of tune once and it's gone. The engines lack surface area to get the heat into the cooling air stream. The TI has 26% less surface area than a TIV-

I wish all the 914 guys would pull their engines and install Subys, Type 1s, 911s and V-8s.... That way my Type 1 converts that actually have some sense could snag up those core engines and slap them into their VW!

You guys get cheaper by the minute-
URY914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 17 2006, 05:23 AM) *

laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Mounting.
Flywheel/clutch.
Cooling.
Longevity.
Lack of power/torque.
Cost. You may be getting one for a reasonable price, but it costs as much to hotrod a T1 properly as it does a T4, and they still don't live.

The Cap'n
rpmmaxxed
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 17 2006, 06:51 AM) *

Mounting.
Flywheel/clutch.
Cooling.
Longevity.
Lack of power/torque.
Cost. You may be getting one for a reasonable price, but it costs as much to hotrod a T1 properly as it does a T4, and they still don't live.

The Cap'n

Sounds like the club hath save me once again from a dismal purchase...

smile.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 17 2006, 03:11 AM) *

Lets just say.. that the old bugs couldnt go past 70mph...

Andrew...

lol

There are many reasons not to do this... but that statement is just a load of crap.

type11969
Yeah, my bug can do 100+ . . . with a warmed over 1.8L t4.
Andyrew
Mark, im talkin bout the 36hp bugs and such...

Dont mean to piss of the bug guys... Bugs are cool!

PS. I did not see the statement of what kind of engine richard was looking at. I believe he edited his post after it got more than a few posts to have more information. Original post was a basic question.

Andrew
rcrgrl
QUOTE(rpmmaxxed @ May 16 2006, 11:27 PM) *

A low mile 1835 engine thats bored, cammed, and otherwise hotrodded is being offered for sale to me.

What is involved in putting a t1 into a 914?

make an ug-bug out of it and take it to glamis.
ehick72
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 17 2006, 06:23 AM) *

At least choose something better than the 1835! Thats THE worst, hottest running Type 1 engine on the planet! The cylinders are paper thin! Its actually a bored out 90.5mm cylinder, they both use the same register OD.

The gearing of a 914 will melt a TI, let it get out of tune once and it's gone. The engines lack surface area to get the heat into the cooling air stream. The TI has 26% less surface area than a TIV-

I wish all the 914 guys would pull their engines and install Subys, Type 1s, 911s and V-8s.... That way my Type 1 converts that actually have some sense could snag up those core engines and slap them into their VW!

Jack,

I think the reason people are cheap is because the lack of knowledge. We don't have much to compare the T4 to. The T1 is a bad comparsion. I have had to do a lot of homework to realize what you're company is offering for money. Hearing you say it is not the same a going out there and trying to find similar components in other places.

When you have a lot of providers it makes it easier for un-informed people to gage a good deal. So I guess you are going to have to keep preaching to us. I haven't started my engine rebuild yet (still doing body work) but I go to your website at least once a day.

These sites have helped me a understand a lot about the T4 and get a good appreciation for your new heads!!

http://www.ratwell.com/
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/

Andyrew
His names Jake...
YOU DONT KNOW JACK!!!! (lol)
ph34r.gif
Jake Raby
So I guess you are going to have to keep preaching to us.

Nope- I'm done...

I will continue to develop the TIV engine as a primary objective, but won't be working on any more 914 specific components.

bd1308
I thought you were already doing that?

I don't see how pulling the plug on the 914 would bring people in your door?

I made this mistake last time in assuming that the kits were to be affected but are the kits going to be affected?

I was going to either get a loan for a 1911 or save up for a kit. Actually I was thinking 2270 if the gas mileage wasnt TOO bad.

b
Jake Raby
As I stated, I am not doing any FURTHER development specifically for the 914.. This does not mean that the things we currently have will be impacted, or discontinued.

II know that pulling the plug will not bring people to my door from the 914 world. However it will free up my development time to further specialize in my Type 4 convversion parts and complete engines for the VW and 356/912 following as they appreciate our work.

I have limited my engine menu for the 914 to two choices and it will remain that way (2270 and 2316 only offered as complete engines)

914 specific Engine kits will not be effected, but they will also not be part of further updates in the future. There is only one of me and my time can only be spent in the most beneficial venues for my company and presently the 914 is losing it's aircooled heritage so it's time to move on.

I don't intend to bitch on this thread, if anyone has further questions concerning these changes please PM me- I don't want to get this thread off topic.
Brando
I could see going with a type one if you wanted a turbocharged 2370cc grenade. I mean, why else would you put it in there? Not for longetivity, not because it runs cooler, and definitely not because it is capable of more hp/torque...

If you want something to "run" while you freshen up your 1.7... Why not just find a 1.8 for dirt cheap nearby, freshen THAT up (or better yet, make it a 1911) then put it in. You're looking at the same cost as a 1.7 rebuild. But on the bright side, when the 1.9 is finished you'll have more hp/torque than a reliable 1911 Type 1 ever could.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.