Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheel lift ... what to do about it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
andys
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 19 2006, 05:03 AM) *

Point is there are people here who race for real and have tons of experience. Normally when I listen to them I get faster. I listen ALOT.

I had to chuckle a bit after reading this. Careful who you talk to, and I don't mean that in a bad way. My experience has been that the less competitive a guy is, seems the more verbose he is. The closer you get to the front however, the more humble they tend to be (I think this comes from an understanding of just how difficult it is to run at the front). This is of course a broad generality and certainly does not apply to everyone. Point is, you may get bad information with all sorts of technical and scientific explanations to support their facts(?). Seems the most prevalent pit topics are suspension/handling and aerodynamics. yellowsleep[1].gif

Andys
SirAndy
QUOTE(groot @ May 19 2006, 04:41 AM) *

It sure looks like SirAndy doesn't have any front suspension travel.
i've got plenty ...

the car is about 1" higher than any other 914 that showed up that day, including the guys that drove to the event with their street cars. the boge had the 3-piece rubber bumper stops and i cut off 1 section. i've got *plenty* of suspension travel, so that's not an issue ...

smile.gif Andy
nebreitling
yup, andy's car is sky-jacked currently.

i'm in the bigger t-bars, less sway-bar camp, andy....
groot
Just because your car is jacked-up doesn't mean you have travel. Measure how much free travel you have before the jounce rubber contacts.
groot
Hey, Andy....

How can I see this video? It may shed some light on your situation.

BTW... the reason I keep hastling you about the travel is: in all the pics, I never see your outside front suspension compressed... as if it's not moving, leading me to believe you're into your jounce bumpers pretty hard. Keep at it, dude, you'll get it going right soon enough.
McMark
QUOTE(groot @ May 19 2006, 10:06 AM) *

in all the pics, I never see your outside front suspension compressed...

Yeah, now that you mention it... unsure.gif
Andyrew
video. Page 4. middle.
groot
Thanks... I missed that.

So, from that video your front roll stiffness far exceeds your rear roll stiffness. As a rule of thumb you front roll stiffness should be about 60-65% of your total roll stiffness... sometimes called roll couple distribution. From the looks of things, there's no suspension roll in the front and a relatively large amount in the rear.

Considering you're auto-xing IMHO you want less front roll stiffness... you need to get that front suspension working. It looks bound up to me, but I haven't driven the car or seen it in person. Maybe your struts are bent or something else like that. Does your front move if you press down on it?
SirAndy
QUOTE(groot @ May 19 2006, 11:34 AM) *

Maybe your struts are bent or something else like that. Does your front move if you press down on it?

front moves when i press down on it, but the pass. side a-arm mount *is* bend and halfway separated from the tub (yeah, yeah, i know) ...

maybe it get's in a bind under corner-load only?
idea.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.