Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Oil Stains
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mr.C
That's right, I want to know your method. I have these nasty old diesel oil stains in pourous concrete that I need to get up.
teef.gif My house looks like he lives here.
Sometime back I heard of using gasoline and then kitty litter. Does this work pretty good or would paint thinner work better? I'm tired of my driveway looking like crap so help a guy out!
Mike McGrath
Just spill the rest of the oil on the other parts of your driveway and make it match. Speaking of matchs, can you burn off the oily residue? Try charcoal lighter fluid.
SirAndy
brake cleaner ... apply generously, wipe off with cloth ...

werks great!
smile.gif Andy
Mr.C
QUOTE(Mike McGrath @ May 17 2006, 05:28 PM) *

Just spill the rest of the oil on the other parts of your driveway and make it match. Speaking of matchs, can you burn off the oily residue? Try charcoal lighter fluid.

Hmmm, now that's a thought. idea.gif
carreraguy
Grind some kitty litter (hopefully clean) into the stain with your shoe and sweep it off. Works like a charm. biggrin.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(carreraguy @ May 17 2006, 06:02 PM) *

Grind some kitty litter (hopefully clean) into the stain with your shoe and sweep it off. Works like a charm. biggrin.gif

tide with bleach
lightly water
sweep with a broom
or hands and knees scrub
rinse and repeat
So.Cal.914
Acid bath directly followed by Tide w/ bleach. Used this to clean industrial kitchen floors before application of epoxy finish. If done correctly in cleans it to the bone. You can get the acid from hardware or paint store.

smoke.gif
mattillac
i posed the same question a while ago. another club member suggested
MEK. you can buy it at home depot. this stuff is FANTASTIC!!! it is pretty strong tho.

cleaning process:

1. apply MEK to stain, use sparingly.
2. scrub stain with heavy brush. i used one attached to a broom stick.
3. apply more MEK as needed to remove stain.
4. soak up MEK with kitty litter.
5. sweep up and dispose of kitty litter. you can also make a kitty liter dam around the
stain, works well also.

i would use eye protection and gloves, this is strong stuff. don't breath too much,
unless you dislike your brain cells.

Methyl Ethyl Ketone

do a search and you'll find the old thread.

again, this works VERY WELL and does not hurt the concrete. acid bath might eat up your concrete. thumb3d.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 17 2006, 06:22 PM) *

Acid bath directly followed by Tide w/ bleach. Used this to clean industrial kitchen floors before application of epoxy finish. If done correctly in cleans it to the bone. You can get the acid from hardware or paint store.

smoke.gif

Be VERY careful with this stuff! True, it will clean just about anything, but it is exremely dangerous. Not only is it believed to be cancer-causing, but it's highly volatile!

Wear a very good respirator (not a dust mask) & be certain there are absolutely no sources for spark or flame anywhere near by. No electric motors, no water heaters,etc. Don't scrub with a wire brush, as it could spark.

BE CAREFUL!! BTW, it does work.
Tobra
I thought MEK gave you liver cancer. Simple Green for me, works okay, won't make your liver fall out.
Allan
Acid won't work on petroleum stains. It just beads of.

The best thing I have found is to use some laundry powder. Liberally sprinkle it over the stain and stomp/grind it in really good. Let it sit for a day then add a little water. Scrub, scrub, scrub, scrub and scrub some more...
brer
I use M50 solvent.
not available at your local hardware store.
jasons
Oil Eater from Costco.
Brando
Muriatic acid and a pressure washer! 1700 PSI of powar.
Porsche Rescue
I like gas and kitty litter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.