Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: She ran! and a gasket question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
I'm thrilled.
Started it up for the first time tonight, and I put it in and hooked it all up myself.
Finally gave up with my solenoid trouble and went out and bought a new starter yesterday. (60 bucks with lifetime warranty) Now she turns right over
Hooked up the carbs and linkage and at first couldn't get it to fire and that was a downer. After some looking around found out I had the fuel pump wired backwards poke.gif slap.gif
Turn the key.. heard it fire a couple of times and then she comes to life... biggrin.gif Freakin' loud without the muffler on aktion035.gif

Anyways, I need to get some new gaskets for inbetween the heads and the carb manifolds. Is there anything specific I need to buy (size) ??
TIA.
bd1308
contgrats!! clap56.gif

nope..Look for intake gaskets. Get the fiber ones not the dumb metal ones.

1.7 is four bolt so you'll obviously need the 1.7/1.8 type gasket. Thats about it.

b
rhodyguy
i think mentioned that during the rambling discussions. i was positive when i heard gurgling at the gas tank when the key was turned on. i used the stock phelonic f.i. blocks under the intakes, hoping to prevent some of the heat soak.

k
bondo
Those gaskets are near new, and the phenolic part of them is still good. I say just clean off the paper gasket material, smear some RTV on them, and install them. You could go to the trouble of cutting new paper gaskets, but I don't think it's necessary. I'm pretty sure the paper gaskets are not available separately, and the assemblies are kinda pricey, for gaskets.
Hammy
QUOTE(bondo @ May 17 2006, 10:42 PM) *

Those gaskets are near new, and the phenolic part of them is still good. I say just clean off the paper gasket material, smear some RTV on them, and install them. You could go to the trouble of cutting new paper gaskets, but I don't think it's necessary. I'm pretty sure the paper gaskets are not available separately, and the assemblies are kinda pricey, for gaskets.

Alright, thats what I did, just took off the paper part.
What is RTV?
bondo
QUOTE(Hammy @ May 17 2006, 10:49 PM) *

QUOTE(bondo @ May 17 2006, 10:42 PM) *

Alright, thats what I did, just took off the paper part.
What is RTV?

Room temperature vulcanizing sealant.. Fancy name for silicone. smile.gif
rhodyguy
rolleyes.gif the blocks are only $8.75 for the 1.7/1.8 and $12.75 for the 2.0 (from the bird). using rtv is a poor product application imho. if you should EVER have to pull the intakes, it's going to be a pita cleaning everything up just to reseal with the goop, and if for some chance they don't seal completely, repeat, repeat....using the blocks will push the intakes out/sideways a bit, but you can make up for this with a simple linkage adjustment. you don't need no stinkin rtv.

k
Cap'n Krusty
At 60 bucks for a "rebuilt" starter, you're gonna need that "lifetime" warranty. Good part about it is you'll become really good at starter R&R! The Cap'n
bondo
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 18 2006, 06:45 AM) *

rolleyes.gif the blocks are only $8.75 for the 1.7/1.8 and $12.75 for the 2.0 (from the bird). using rtv is a poor product application imho. if you should EVER have to pull the intakes, it's going to be a pita cleaning everything up just to reseal with the goop, and if for some chance they don't seal completely, repeat, repeat....using the blocks will push the intakes out/sideways a bit, but you can make up for this with a simple linkage adjustment. you don't need no stinkin rtv.

k

I disagree.. The old ones had no RTV. The paper gasket part had been sucked into the intake in several places, and left nice gaps which I could see the backfires (caused by the massive vacuum leaks) through. With paper gaskets or not, I use RTV now. Each side has 4 places for possible leaks, and that's too many to rely on the clamping pressure of 4 bolts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.