Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 was hit... (pictures)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I posted on Pelican... my car was "dented" when the place I was renting decided to have the garage door fixed.

Below is a draft letter to Mister Buttmunch. Aside from arranging a contract for Mr. Buttmunch, am I missing anything in the letter?

Mr. B****y,

The damage is extensive. Please call the police and file a report, if you have not already done so. Once the report is complete, I would appreciate it scanned into an Adobe PDF file. Any competent print shop can do so, and I'll be happy to reimburse the cost to you.

They hit the car hard enough for the chrome bumper plug to fall out (the hole the lawrence3 photo, lower left). Aside from paint, there are several issues: First is structural. The metal panel that was struck is perpendicular to the rear trunk floor where the transmission mounts. That will need to be checked by a body shop very familiar with this model car.

Next, the decklid (rear trunk lid) may need to be replaced. Picture 4 shows that it is misaligned. I can't tell if the entire lid is warped. The lid hinges and mounting points need to be checked. The bumper top is unrepairable. Impossible to know if the chrome bumper is intact without disassembly - damage to the top mounting surface is possible, as the rubber top is bolted to the top of the chrome unit.

Please invite the adjuster. I will be interested in his comments. You may print this for him if you like.

I will try to arrange to have someone with a high resolution digital camera come visit to take pictures. I will let you know when they will able to visit.

Thank you.
tdgray
Damn L that sucks.

That's going to be spendy fix to say the least. ohmy.gif

Other than you threatening him with sending Guido over no I think you covered everything.
rhodyguy
htf does repairing a door evolve into backing into a car with a truck. looks like a reciever hitch tattoo to me. wait till they see a bill for $4k. the pooping will be huge. is that one of those early bumpers? old, OLD, AA cat- $1062 new (if you can find one), $570 used (iycfo), $650 repro (iycfo). can i have the used/defective chrome plug?

k
Rusty
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 18 2006, 05:32 PM) *

htf does repairing a door evolve into backing into a car with a truck. looks like a reciever hitch tattoo to me. wait till they see a bill for $4k. the pooping will be huge. is that one of those early bumpers? old, OLD, AA cat- $1062 new (if you can find one), $570 used (iycfo), $650 repro (iycfo). can i have the used/defective chrome plug?

k

They had to push the cars out of the garage. Before I stored the cars, I fogged the cylinders with oil and disabled the ignitions in several places. Nothing most of *us* couldn't troubleshoot quickly, but your average teenage joyrider wasn't going to get the car started.

I dunno where the plug went. Some minimum wage handiman probably thought it was funny that "the guy with the Porsche got his." I suspect the plug is long gone, but you can have it. Damn... we're all buzzards here, huh? smile.gif

It wasn't the ultra-rare early (sharp-angled) bumper. I'd be in tears.

This all started when I got the below email on the 11th. What a prick.

We completed the replacement of the garage door yesterday, and moved the Porsches in and out without a problem. The bad news is that when we raised the door, it appears that there is a dent on the 914 just above the rear bumper on the drivers side. I need to know if there was a dent there before the problem with the door. I took pictures and am contacting the insurance company again. I will contact an auto body place to get an estimate if you desire.

Apparently "without a problem" has been redefined to encompass "dented the f*ck out of your prized possession". headbang.gif

I haven't yet heard an apology. flipa.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Bleyseng
Probably rolled it out of the garage into a truck parked there not paying attention when ithey rolled it out until it hit it.

Great effin news....sorry Rusty.

Rusty
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ May 18 2006, 06:05 PM) *

Probably rolled it out of the garage into a truck parked there not paying attention when ithey rolled it out until it hit it.

Great effin news....sorry Rusty.

I don't think so. The garage is at the bottom of a hill. They actually had to roll the car up a slow grade to get it out of the garage. They had to hit the car while it was parked.

Yeah. It was nice to own a no-rust, never-hit 914 for a little while. huh.gif

So... anything I'm missing from this letter? I think this guy wants to have the car repaired before I get back to Kansas. Nuh-uh. No way. Not gonna happen like that... for SO many reasons. blink.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
rhodyguy
without problem huh? except... deploy the A-10s. only $252.50 for a bumpertop. shocked[1].gif

k
Rusty
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 18 2006, 06:10 PM) *

without problem huh? except... deploy the A-10s. only $252.50 for a bumpertop. shocked[1].gif

k

That's cheaper than I thought. I thought the price had crept up to ~400.
rhodyguy
that's current bird pricing. old AA $361.50. zoiks!! use aa prices for the parts estimate.wink.gif then buy my pretty nice rear bumper with no tat holes. you can make some dough on this deal. little compensation for the hassle factor.

k
Brando
Send them an estimate of prices based on NEW.

NEW rear hood.

NEW chrome bumper.

NEW rubber bumper top.

And tell them they can either send you a check so you can hunt the parts down, or they can have their insurance hunt the parts down while you send it to a shop of your choice. Tell them you will not settle for any less than brand new parts. That should make them pay out the ass. What, some of that is NLA? Someone has to have new stuff hiding somewhere...
ClayPerrine
You need me to head north to take detailed picts for you???

Also, I would send them here for a reference for parts pricing. You KNOW we will tell them the parts are expensive enough so that you get it fixed right!!

Also, we can bring it to DFW and have Richard Fisher fix it. He won't do it halfway.

Jeroen
ohmy.gif sad.gif mad.gif
what a bunch of ....
tear them a new one!
Dr Evil
Man, after all of the work and effort we did to get that car perfect. I hope you get it right again.
tdgray
Not to pile it on but I would be careful with that color.

It will take a very talented painter to blend that color properly. You might take that into consideration as well.

skline
I hope they are not going to use the pictures you posted as they are dated 1987 and could be misconstrued as existing damage. That really sucks Rusty, I hope they fix it back the way it was.
GTeener
QUOTE(skline @ May 18 2006, 11:01 AM) *

I hope they are not going to use the pictures you posted as they are dated 1987 and could be misconstrued as existing damage. That really sucks Rusty, I hope they fix it back the way it was.

But the registration on the plates say 2006 wink.gif

L-

Sucks, Dude! They owe you extra for mental anguish!
effutuo101
That really sucks...F*#$K um. Tell them all to pack sand...all new parts and a complete respray of the entire car. Matching the color is one thing, but you will be able to tell that the colors are just a little bit off. A lady hit my Jetta and the paint guy claimed that the color was a perfect match. Nothing like trying to show an obviously color blind person where his "blend" line was. Good luck and I hope you get your car back the way it was.
C~
Rusty
I'm not too worried about mental anguish, etc. I don't want to make anything on the deal, or be compensated for more than the actual damage. I'm not even there, so I can't claim that I didn't have a car to drive.

I have an inherent distrust of insurance companies when it comes to old cars. Their job is to make money for shareholders by paying me the least that I will accept.

What they can't make right is me no longer having a classic car that had never been hit. My hope was to make the car concours someday. The rear bumper top wasn't perfect, but it was functional.

I just dread the whole quibbling process. Not sure if I should start sending certified letters or if an email trail will be enough. Gonna have to call someone, I guess. I don't want to get screwed because I'm not there.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Rusty
After getting some sleep (I was running on 7 hours in the last four days)... I decided on this much more civil note back.

Mr. B****y,

Thank you for scanning the pictures and sending them to me. Would it be too much trouble to have someone with a high-resolution digital camera visit to take some close-ups? I'd like to have someone who knows the car well take some specific shots. I know a few people in the area who are familiar with older Porsches.

I appreciate you being proactive in calling the adjuster. I'm certainly interested in his comments. If necessary, please feel free to give him my contact information.

I don't know which insurance company(s) will be involved. Hopefully the claim won't be against your coverage. However, because I imagine that there will be at least a couple of companies quibbling, I wonder if it would be wise to have a police report filed. What do you think?

Thank you.
Brett W
If this is not solved right, I will have Guido come by and rattle a few chains. Watch them and make sure they don't try and weasel out of the responsibilty.
Gint
QUOTE(Lawrence @ May 18 2006, 11:58 PM) *

After getting some sleep (I was running on 7 hours in the last four days)... I decided on this much more civil note back.

Mr. B****y,

Thank you for scanning the pictures and sending them to me. Would it be too much trouble to have someone with a high-resolution digital camera visit to take some close-ups? I'd like to have someone who knows the car well take some specific shots. I know a few people in the area who are familiar with older Porsches.

I appreciate you being proactive in calling the adjuster. I'm certainly interested in his comments. If necessary, please feel free to give him my contact information.

I don't know which insurance company(s) will be involved. Hopefully the claim won't be against your coverage. However, because I imagine that there will be at least a couple of companies quibbling, I wonder if it would be wise to have a police report filed. What do you think?

Thank you.

If you were there, it wouldn't be a big deal, you could handle it yourself.

BUT

Since you're not there, I'd seriously consider finding a way to file a police report so at least there can be an official "investigation" of the incident. At least that way, the negligence that occurred would be recorded to minimize the "quibbling".

I don't balme you, I hate that crap.

Sorry man.
Joe Bob
Most police agencies will NOT take a report unless there is an injury. Maybe diff in LAWrence KS...... as there are usually crimes a happening and donuts to devour, with the ocassional felonious cow tipping.....

Sorry about the crunch....

I would simply call YOUR insurance company and sleep better at night....
rhodyguy
the second letter is worded more politely. i think it will work better. i'm sure it's very frustrating a half a world away.

k
aircooledboy
If you haven't already sent the second letter, I would send the first. There is nothing uncivil about the tone of the first one (trust me, I've seen more than a couple uncivil letters in my career blink.gif ), and it more accurately appraises Mr. BM of the issues involved here. The second one doesn't really identify your legitimi, err I'm mean legitimate concerns about the damage. That creates a risk that they will accuse you of "whiplash syndrome", which is the developement of more significant damages after having some time to think about it.

Maybe do a hybrid of the two if you want, (hell I'll write it for you if you like), but you are much better off framing the issues more clearly from the get go.

beerchug.gif
effutuo101
With out a police report, wouldn't this qualify for a felony hit and run? It may be on the long list for a officer to come look at it, but you should be able to get help from the local military LE. Or get a local with a limited power of attorney. There are a lot of great people here who are local and have volunteered.
SirAndy
man, that sucks ... sad.gif

anything i can do?
beerchug.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.