Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine installation aid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
Some of you had fun guessing what this is over on the PP site while the club was offline. GWN7 knew right away what it was, and McMark got most of the details right. If you're getting ready for an engine install this is a great tool to have.
Check out my post in the resources section if you haven't been there yet.

Jeroen
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 19 2006, 02:44 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=51869
spunone
Thought it was for taking Pizza out of the oven! No
URY914
Looks heavy. biggrin.gif

Need to drill some holes in that bad boy. sawzall-smiley.gif

Another fine product to help make our life easier.

Has anyone ever used a pallet jack to remove an engine? Ive been thinking idea.gif

spunone
Pallet jacks only go up about 6 inchs LOL
spunone
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif lifting a motor Thanks Chris Looks great
URY914
QUOTE(spunone @ May 19 2006, 05:50 AM) *

Pallet jacks only go up about 6 inchs LOL

I know. Extend the pallet jack up to the bottom of the engine. Unbolt everything. Lower the engine. Jack up the car. The pallet jack sits much lower to the ground and is more stable than a standard jack.

Sorry for the highjack Chris. sad.gif
ChrisFoley
I don't have a floor jack that looks good enough for the modeling job, laugh.gif

Here's a pic of my old prototype in action.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 19 2006, 09:43 AM) *

Looks heavy. biggrin.gif

Need to drill some holes in that bad boy. sawzall-smiley.gif

The next batch will be waterjet cut and some lightening holes will be added for you. biggrin.gif
jasons
So do you take the pad out of the floor jack and drop that baby in?
914werke
So there must be some way to center it on the jack, not seen?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 19 2006, 10:30 AM) *

So there must be some way to center it on the jack, not seen?

Nick
How about doing one for a six?
URY914
Chris, do you really use those bolt on alum. V-covers?

You must have milled the gasket seat and used a better grade of hardware.
william harris
Has anyone used a motorcycle jack for this purpose? I have seen this suggested and my local FLAPS sells them for $50. huh.gif
JeffBowlsby
Nice job Chris. What is there to keep the drive train from falling off the jack? Here is the factory tool...US Tool 612/3 and accessory US Tool 612/4. Not sure I trust the two measly little holes for attachment bolts on it...and where would they attach anyway?
McMark
Jeff, I wouldn't sweat it since the jack adapted does its job for all of 30 seconds and the alignment tabs make sure the engine is balanced and not wobbly/unstable. I wouldn't leave the engine on the adapter for fear of knocking it off, but for dropping the engine, no worries!

And Chris, near as I can tell I got ALL of the details right. poke.gif
URY914
QUOTE(william harris @ May 19 2006, 08:17 AM) *

Has anyone used a motorcycle jack for this purpose? I have seen this suggested and my local FLAPS sells them for $50. huh.gif

They don't work too well. The handle and cylinder of the jack conflect with the tranny.
Hammy
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 19 2006, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(william harris @ May 19 2006, 08:17 AM) *

They don't work too well. The handle and cylinder of the jack conflect with the tranny.

Yep. I had to flip my engine and tranny around and support the trans end with a floor jack with wheels, worked OK, jacking it up while cramped under the floor pan was hard. This solution here looks much, much easier smile.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 19 2006, 05:44 AM) *

Some of you had fun guessing what this is over on the PP site while the club was offline. GWN7 knew right away what it was, and McMark got most of the details right. If you're getting ready for an engine install this is a great tool to have.

That is nice Chris.

Is that a handle (off the tip of the triangle) that one would use for changing the oblique angle of the engine, while installling, or is it something else?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(McMark @ May 19 2006, 12:54 PM) *
And Chris, near as I can tell I got ALL of the details right. poke.gif

No, What you labeled as a reinforcement for the pin underneath was a shim to help support part of the crankcase. The 1/4" plate doesn't need reinforcement. biggrin.gif

This solution here looks much, much easier
The hardest part about using this tool is getting the engine/tranny onto it in the first place. Once its on there you can wheel it around, raised or lowered, with confidence. You do still have to be careful because gravity is the only thing holding it in place.
Joe Bob
I had a nice one for my 3.0....of course it doesn't work on my 3.6....
McMark
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 19 2006, 06:54 PM) *

No, What you labeled as a reinforcement for the pin underneath was a shim to help support part of the crankcase. The 1/4" plate doesn't need reinforcement. biggrin.gif

DAMMIT!! I feel like such a fool. busted.gif lol2.gif
william harris
OK, so when I come down to pick up my motor, might I inquire about purchase and or rental of such a wonderful tool??? welder.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(william harris @ May 20 2006, 11:12 AM) *

OK, so when I come down to pick up my motor, might I inquire about purchase and or rental of such a wonderful tool??? welder.gif

I'm sure something can be arranged. smile.gif
ChrisFoley
Anyone who has a floor jack that won't accomodate a 1 1/8" dia pin let me know. Smaller jacks may have a permanently attached swiveling pad I'll work on other attachment arrangements if needed.
URY914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 22 2006, 05:17 AM) *

Anyone who has a floor jack that won't accomodate a 1 1/8" dia pin let me know. Smaller jacks may have a permanently attached swiveling pad I'll work on other attachment arrangements if needed.

You're right, my cheap Sears model won't let you remove the "pad".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.