914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bernbomb914
here area few pics of Jakes new DTM for the 914

Bernie
bernbomb914
zx
Mark Henry
Cool!

Speaking of cool what are you doing for an oil cooler?
Joe Bob
How much?
nebreitling
yeah -- how much?
bernbomb914
I have a external oilcooler witha fan under the trunk.

Mike check with Jake I think for the whole assy its about $1100. This is the first one that they took the mold off and it came without the tin so he offered it for $750.00 here on the site.
elwood-914
I've got a couple of questions,
1. Does this cool better?
2. You said remote oil cooler, does that mean you have to block off the existing oil cooler?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(elwood-914 @ May 19 2006, 09:17 AM) *

I've got a couple of questions,
1. Does this cool better?
2. You said remote oil cooler, does that mean you have to block off the existing oil cooler?

The DTM was tested 100% on a 180 HP 2316cc engine in my 914. I have about 14 months of work in the system and if it didn't spank the pants off the stock system I would not be selling them!

That 180 HP engine of 2316cc averaged a head temp of 300F and oil temp with only an external 72 plate cooler with no fan pack was never over 210 in 11000 miles of testing work.

The 914 just isn't about a cooler temperature, but also maintaining temperatures equally between all the cylinders/heads which is an often overlooked killer of engines with stock and inferior aftermarket systems that lack development.
This is the only 914DTM I will make, the unit that incorporates the stock cooler was too labor intense to sell for any sane price.

The unit that is pictured in this thread was the first unit we sold, it was a prototype and now the new units are cosmetically perfect as they are in full production and we have a mold dedicated just to the 914 shroud.

The 914 kit comes with ALL the cooling p[arts including a new alternator, fan and the works...

here it is on my site.
914 DTM at the Type 4 Store

It works and works very well.

Aaron Cox
sick!

i saw a bug one a year ago and was impressed.

whats it look like installed on a motor, inthe engine bay?

any carb linkage mods needed?

"drooling in lust"
bernbomb914
jake has a bell crank throttle linkage hes has developed for this system that is the cats ass. It eliminates all the probllems of the crossbar type.

Bernie
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ May 19 2006, 11:28 AM) *

jake has a bell crank throttle linkage hes has developed for this system that is the cats ass. It eliminates all the probllems of the crossbar type.

Bernie

uh... what problems with hex bar???

they deal with thermal expansion better than the bellcrank....

but id like to see the solution. i remember seeing crossbar mods, that lifted the bar above the alternator
Lou W
I want that blink.gif clap56.gif

I'm leaning more towards keeping my 4.

Would I need to install an external oil cooler up front if I go that route?
Jake Raby
My bellcrank set up allows for typical expansion.. Engines that over expand enough to throw off the linkage are running too damn hot anyway..

I'm leaving Sunday on a 3100 mile trek cross country with my linkage and DTM and am NOT taking an easy route- AND I'm climbing Pike's Peakthen heading up through Steamboat Springs Colorado...

My stuff works and I prove it...

I'll be posting a full trip map and iteneriary soon..
Brando
Sounds like a nice getaway Jake smile.gif Oh wait, but your working, with the cellphone off, so nobody can reach you. Take the wife and plenty of picnic supplies!
bernbomb914
Jake will be in sacramento for a bug jam to show his wares on the west coast. If you are in the area check it out.

Bernie
jimtab
Ok guys, I'm the biggest dufus ever but wtf does DTM stand for anyhow?
Dissect two minnows?
Drive two motors?
What?
Joe Bob
Down the middle....
Pugbug
Down The Middle.
jimtab
Down the middle of what...isn't the fan in the center of the engine as it is when stock or is it about the placement of the intake sections on the sides? Sorry to be so fuchin thick.
Joe Bob
It gives eqaul cooling to all four cylinders....why he named it that? Fuck if I know....
DBCooper
The upright shroud in a T1 goes straight across the engine. Since the cylinders are slightly offset from one side to the other that means that the air flow doesn't go down exactly between the cylinders on each side. The DTM shrouds aren't straight across the engine, but are slightly offset so the airflow goes down directly between the cylinders on each side, or "Down the Middle" The result is more balanced cooling. The name has significance on T1 motors but not so much on the pancake-style T4 cooling.
Pugbug
QUOTE(jimtab @ May 19 2006, 07:22 PM) *

Down the middle of what...isn't the fan in the center of the engine as it is when stock or is it about the placement of the intake sections on the sides? Sorry to be so fuchin thick.

I donno.. confused24.gif ..I was just guessing. You may have to ask Jake.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Pugbug @ May 19 2006, 07:52 PM) *

QUOTE(jimtab @ May 19 2006, 07:22 PM) *

I donno.. confused24.gif ..I was just guessing. You may have to ask Jake.

down the middle of each pair of cylinders......
Jake Raby
Read guys....
www.aircooledtechnology.com/cooling

Thats all about the DTM that was originally designed and manufactured by Oregon Performance's, Joe Locicero.. He passed away in July of 2002 and I bought the company from his family...

I'm leaving this morning on our cross country run.... Updates to come.
jimtab
QUOTE(mikez @ May 19 2006, 07:25 PM) *

It gives eqaul cooling to all four cylinders....why he named it that? Fuck if I know....

Got it...thanks all.
Jake Raby
In 700 miles of datalogging today the biggest CHT difference we datalogged was 20 degrees......
Jake Raby
Here is an example of what the DTM will do.. This was captured yesterday on day one of our 3100 mile R&D trip cross country

IPB Image

MUCH More available by following this link and clicking on the red icons on the map.... ALL Data pics and etc is uploaded there
"Type 4 Torquer" cross country trip info
Tobra
Click on that DTM link, lots of info there, seems like a better way to do it.
Hammy
Any idea why I'm getting a dead page for the aircooledtechnology link? sad.gif The link seems to work for everyone but me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.